Anyone else cry or get choked?

Tinkrrrrr

Cadet
I clearly recall the two times I've cried since I was about 12 (in 1962), neither of which have anything to do with this thread and both of which were pretty stupid compared with bigger things that deserved more emotion.<br /><br />Nonetheless, often I am choked to varying degrees by things I see or read, and it gets worse as I age.<br /><br />When I was in my teens and early 20's I used to laugh with others of the same age about various misfortunes reported in the newspapers, such as the predictable fireworks night ("cracker night", which mightn't mean the same in parts of the USA) kid with the eye bandage at the Children's Hospital.<br /><br />Now I see a newspaper report or hear a radio or TV report of similar things or any report of the death of a child and, like the old people my mates and I used to deride 40 years ago, I think "poor kid" or "there's parents tonight who are suffering what I never want to begin to experience".<br /><br />I feel the same when I see, as tonight, the suffering people trying to dig their kids out of collapsed buildings in the Pakistan earthquake. I wasn't that far off tears when a 4 year old boy found by a foreign team with camera probes was pulled out alive in reasonably good condition.<br /><br />Anyone else experience these emotions and wish that they could be harnessed for a better world where parents regardless of race or religion could just protect and advance their kids?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone else cry or get choked?

More often than I can say. I have learned to shut it off when needed, but some nights when everyone else is asleep it just comes out. Not as much by the news reports, I can diss assoctaie from that easy enough, mine is real life.<br /><br />I even got choked up when I took my kids to see Care Bears live. Seeing the joy and amazement was too much. It re-fueled my mind for more.<br /><br />Things sure change when we get older and have our own children!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

9/11 had me pretty choked up. Watching war movies realizing that it represents the reality that happened gets me choked up.<br /><br />Ken

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

The older I get the more it seems to come out. I would rather be more emotionable than get hard and bitter.Harness it? Can't do that but we can show people by example, it's not unmanley to show compasion. :)

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

9/11, definitely -- broke down emotionally about a week after it happened -- needed to do that. Then, certain movies can actually get me choked up. The movie, Awakenings, with Robert DeNiro. That movie totally made me choke up towards the end when DeNiro's character starts receding to his shaky, stuttering, then catatonic state at the end. I generally am in control when it's important to do so.

ehenry

Commander

Happens to me all the time. Holding a new born infant gets me every time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Me too. Many times little tiny things in a movie will get me close. Hard to tell what will do it. During 9/11 it was United Flight 93 that got me. People talking with their loved ones and then setting out to do a job . . . ohhhhhhhh!!

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I got two words for you...<br /><br />"Old Yeller" - boo hooed.<br /><br />I got five more words for you...<br /><br />"Where the Red Fern Grows" - boo hooed.

oddjob

Commander

Sure does fix up a stuffy nose dont it? :) ... ;)

ZmOz

Captain

I've got a permanent poker face. I very rarely show any emotion at all...most people think I'm pissed all the time. :) That's probably why I use so many of these. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I think there is something to this getting older thing, Tinkerrrrr, that changes ones perspective and priorities. <br />When I was 5, my priorities were ice cream and tonka trucks.<br /><br />When i was 11, my priorities were bicycles and forts.<br /><br />When i was 16 my priorities were you guessed it, girls and motorcycles.<br /><br />When i was 25, my priorities were girls, girls,parties and girls, and faster motorcycles.<br /><br />When i was 30, my priorities were my kids and job.<br /><br />Now in my early 50's, my priorities are making-up for an often miss-spent youth.<br />And yes, i do get very emotional over the myriad examples of human suffering. At least, more so than when i was 20 and immortal.

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

I often have to turn off the news becuase of all the neg.. I do however watch it in the mornings for half hour... Who wants to start a nite off with suffering people, its hard enough to try to sleep a full nite.. Yes it gets to me and I look forward to every new day..<br />As for movies, The NOTEBOOK was a real tear jerker, my son though left the room until it was over and I stopped crying..

cpj

Ensign

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> I got two words for you...<br /><br />"Old Yeller" - boo hooed.<br /><br />I got five more words for you...<br /><br />"Where the Red Fern Grows" - boo hooed.
me too.that was along time ago when I saw those movies(23-24 years)and still remember it.<br />And I cant make it through the National Anthem without a lump in my throat.Im proud to be an American.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I found out in 1973 how easy it is to kill,I have been an emotional invalid ever since.I wish I could learn to cry again and stop being cynical.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> I got two words for you...<br /><br />"Old Yeller" - boo hooed.<br /><br />I got five more words for you...<br /><br />"Where the Red Fern Grows" - boo hooed.
Oh man! You took the words right out of my mouth. Ah, those sure are good ones! Yeah I am a big crybaby. I know its rough on Mr. Bassy, but its just the way I am. I cry when I'm happy or sad. I also cry when I'm mad, but you sure don't want to see those tears. Good thing we all don't see those but maybe once a year.<br /> Heck, I even weep to the sound of Taps or any patriotic song. Love that music. Oh beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain... :D <br /> And I’m proud to be an American,<br />where at least I know I’m free.<br />And I wont forget the men who died,<br />who gave that right to me. :D <br /><br />Bassy<br />Bassy

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I thought it was just me... and I hide it. It seems that with the passing of years that my cold, stone heart has gotten pretty soft. My wife thinks that I'm a tough guy and nothing gets to me. Maybe I should tell her..whatcha think?

rwise

Captain

The last 8 months has been a bit hard on me, divorce and all. I truly loved her.

LadyFish

Admiral

I'm a sentimental softie. I cry at school plays, at Little League games, holidays, when I see someone I care about that I haven't seen in a long time, but those are all happy tears.<br /><br />When 911 happened, I totally lost it and still cry over it. When Hurricane Katrina happened, the same thing. When a friend of mine tells me about her son fighting in Iraq, we cry together. When tragedy hits close to home, we all cry.<br /><br />I don't see crying as a sign of weakness for a man or a woman, it just happens everytime you open your heart.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

As I get older, I find that it's easier for things to "get me". Just about anything having to do with my precious geanddaughters, for instance.That, or losing a big fish! :D