Anyone been to Harker's Island, NC

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I am thinking about planning a trip down to Harker's Island, and trailering my boat down there. Anyone ever been there? I want to check out cape lookout, right where that big hook is in the barrier island.

This is the extreme south east tip of the outer banks.

Any good hotels / campgrounds near here, where i could park a boat and truck?

RWILLIAMS

Cadet
Re: Anyone been to Harker's Island, NC

Been there a couple of times and to Cape Look Out. Beautiful from the water but never been ashore. The ICW and the channels are well marked. If you want to go ashore you will have to beach your boat and walk around. There are no roads at the Cape. If you are going fishing the jetty has good fishing. I'm not sure about the camping & motels around the area since I live within an hour of that area but I'm sure you could google Harker's Island and find several. I will ask around and see if if I can find out anything. You could also consider camping/ stay at Alantic Beach, NC and launch your boat there. It's about a 30 minute ride from there to Cape Lookout. Go out of the port at Morehead and hang a left running parallel with the beach can't miss it. For a local weather website go to http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/mhx/ this is the National Weather Service Morehead City/Newport site.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone been to Harker's Island, NC

Thanks for the great info Williams!