Any Yamaha jet boat owners out there?

ildoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Any Yamaha jet boat owners out there?

If anyone is still reading this post, I'd like to know if you've had success, boysxtwo? I think this boat is very attractive, but I don't want to be crashing it into the dock everytime we go out!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Hey....we got a little bit of traffic here when I wasn't looking! Good show! Still haven't had a chance to ride one, but went over it at the dealer with a fine-tooth comb when I went to pick up my snowmobile last month. That boat looks simply perfect, but I'm STILL seeking someone who considers themself at least an intermediate slalom skiier to give me a water-ski report. Wakeboards should be fine, but I have to think all the bubbles those jets leave behind would leave quite the sinking feeling behind the boat when you cross the wake...size of wake doesn't bother me much, but the bubbly water may cause a ski on its edge to lose all bite with the water and wash out from underneath.

I'm guessing I'll need to stick with a prop boat for slalom, but if anyone has a chance I'd love to hear a firsthand report.

Thanks again! Incidentally, this snowmobile looks AWESOME! Can't wait for winter to get here....d:)

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Has anyone thought of, or would it help, to put trim tabs on a jet boat? Or Smart Tabs? Just a thought.

cgBosun3

Seaman

Along the same lines, has anyone rigged one for fishing? I can't think of a beeter powerplant for fishing than a jet drive. I just can't find one that would make a decent fishing platform, since that is about all that I use a boat for.

cbeliefs

Recruit

I am contemplating purchasing a 2007 AR230 but had trepidations due to the jet system (steering) and fuel consumption (i've heard that this boat might run through all 50 gal's in 8 hours). Is there any truth to these ideas? Would you purchase one of these boats again?

Thanks.

241comp

Recruit

I am contemplating purchasing a 2007 AR230 but had trepidations due to the jet system (steering) and fuel consumption (i've heard that this boat might run through all 50 gal's in 8 hours). Is there any truth to these ideas? Would you purchase one of these boats again?

Thanks.

I have an LS2000 and I would definitely purchase one of these again (probably an AR230 next time). Re: steering, buy the Cobra Jet Steering mod and you will have pretty decent low-speed control. Otherwise, it just takes some practice - it's not nearly as scary as some make it out to be once you know what you're doing. Re: fuel consumption, you are right. You could burn about 50 gals in 8 hours if you ran for 8 hours at WOT. Of course, you would traverse 400+ miles so you'll need to be on a large body of water. On an average full day with some sitting around (eating lunch), some water sports and some high-speed fun, I'll burn about 25 gal in mine and the 4-stroke engines are far more efficient than my 2-strokes. Hope that helps.

cdl715

Recruit

I just got a Yamaha SX210. It was the first power boat I ever drove. I grew up on sailboats and always wanted a power boat. I love this boat... It was very easy to handle. I have taken it out twice and both times on a very busy Arizona afternoon. I would be lying if I said it was completely ealsy to handle at slow speeds. It does take a few trys but it is getting easier. Other than that I would have to say it is a piece of cake.

mtfoyre

Seaman Apprentice

I have to agree with cdl715. I just upgraded to an SR210 from a 1968 21' runabout and the differences are night and day. The main things I've noticed are:

a) Handling (low speed). The conventional stern drive unit is far easier to control at first. However, you'll begin to get a feel for the jet propulsion after just a little practice. It may take a while to master but keeping it under control will come quickly. Smart use of the throttle will help tremendously.

b) Handling (high speed). "High speed" is a subjective term here as my other boat didn't hit top speeds anywhere near what the Yamaha can do. The '68 would top out around 33 mph or so. I've had the Yamaha up to 47 with just me onboard. At WOT the Yamaha has a clear handling advantage. If you turn the wheel the boat WILL go where you tell it to.

c) Stability: While the Yamaha isn't unstable, it does "go with the flow" of the surface more. My '68 will simply cut through wakes and waves. The Yamaha won't. Last Saturday Lake Pleasant was pretty rough and I couldn't get past 30 mph or so without feeling like we were going to get airborne (we did once). Also if you run parallel to the waves you will definitely bob around with them some. Again it's a matter of getting used to this.

d) Acceleration: Yamaha wins, hands down. My '68 had a 327 c.i. V-8 but was just too heavy to really get any kind of holeshot. That's okay, it wasn't designed to be a drag racer. The SR210, however, gets up very quickly on plane and will have you at 30 mph before you know it (with 7 people onboard and a tuber). It will consistently ride at 40 mph with a full load and beyond that in the right conditions.

e) Economy: I've only had the Yamaha out a handful of times but I'd say the economy is good. After 7 hours of running around and hanging out in coves we'd only consumed 1/4 tank (12.5 gallons). I think that's pretty respectable considering how windy and rough that day was.

f) Versatility: Probably the most important aspect of them all. With twin engines and the ability to operate them independently of each other you really have an advantage. Redundancy is key on a boat, and redundant engines is masterful. I accidentally sucked up a tow rope last week on one impeller and instead of being adrift while I cut it free, I was able to fire up the unaffected engine and get out of everyone's way. That let me work on the issue at my leisure (don't worry, everything turned out okay....except for the rope). Also the boat can run in 18" of water. We drifted over a huuuuuuuge underwater boulder that would've taken my '68 out of commission, but the Yamaha simply cruised past it (not recommended...but this thing caught us off guard).

All-in-all I'd say the Yamaha is a better-than-average package. There may be better deals out there, but you might be hard-pressed to find more bang for your buck.

When I bought my new boat, I was giving the new Yamahas some serious consideration.
The boat I was going to buy was going to sit in a slip for most of it's life, and the salesman couldn't answer my questions about preventing marine life buildup on a jet boat's internal workings (which would be sitting in the water). I specifically wanted to know if fouling or corrosion would be an issue, and if they were covered by the warranty (and what the limits were).

I understand that if you trailered your boat, none of this would be an issue.

Ultimately I went with a stern drive, but I'm still curious. Can anyone comment on corrosion or fouling on a jet boat stored in the water in a slip?

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fuel economy posted here by people is pure rubbish... Boat reviews advice 10.9 gallons per hour at WOT for the SX-230.. Or are you guys installing "miracle fuel savers" :D

rdollie

Recruit

Why would anybody run at WOT for hours? These aren't long-haul cruisers.

I think your 10.9 number is PER ENGINE. I have a '07 SX230 HO (which has more power and revs higher than a standard SX230 - no longer made) and according to boattest ( http://www.boattest.com/boats/1220/test_results.aspx ) it will burn 21.0 GPH or about 10.5 GPH per engine (which sounds right as the HO is supposed to be slightly more fuel efficient than non HO.)

That said we've driven the boat for about 8 hours or so and have burned a total of 49 gallons so far.

The fuel economy posted here by people is pure rubbish... Boat reviews advice 10.9 gallons per hour at WOT for the SX-230.. Or are you guys installing "miracle fuel savers" :D

Sea Yaw

Cadet

For anyone still lookin for info on Yamaha jet boat, I just bought a Yamaha SX230 HO this April and I just love it. If you would like more info please contact me. Previous I/o owner.

trepid

Recruit

Sea Yaw, Have you kept your boat in water or trailored it? Fresh or salt water? Have you slalom skiied behind it? I am thinking of buying one of the yamaha jet boats and have concerns about the engine getting fouled sitting in salt water on a mooring. I am also concerned about it's ability to track with a slalom skier behind it. The boat will be primarily used as a family runabout and ski/wakeboard/tube machine in relatively calm atlantic bays. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

jsj

Recruit

I am not SEE YAW however I had long contimplated purchasing a yamaha jet boat. This summer I did purchase an AR230. I use in in salt and fresh water. It is the best Ski/Wake Board boat I have ever used. Holeshot is amazing. It tracks perfectly at speed and once one gets used to the low speed handling it is a piece of cake to operate. In terms of atlantic bays I have used it in the indian river, DE bay area on occasion which is notoriously shallow. THe minimal draft is perfect for this. I have operated this boat in 5+ foot seas and was very surprised at how well it handeld. Only problem is the obvious yawing due to the moderate deadrise and lack of rudder. I would advise that this small craft never be taken out in seas of this size. It is nice however, to know that you can manage these if caught in a storm. Lastly, my understanding is that this boat can not be kept for long periods of time in the water and that it is required to either be on a lift or a trailer. That said I own a 32 dancer, run a 48 viking, the AR230 is the most fun and comfortable boat I own or have ever run.

Good luck with your decision from an old but now reformed salty.

trepid

Recruit

jsj, Thanks for the input. This website and it's members are a great resource. I don't know anyone personally who owns a jetboat but they are quite appealing to me. It's great to hear that it skis well. I would prefer to keep the boat on a mooring since I don't have a dock and, with young kids, pulling it in and out of the water might be enough of a nuisance to prevent frequent use. I would appreciate any further input people might have regarding this issue. Thanks again.

Sea Yaw

Cadet

I have been using my SX230 HO all summer. We were out wake boarding and tubing a couple of times. The kids seemed to have a lot of fun. My boating is done in the Northumberland Strait (Atlantic salt water) between Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick in north eastern Canada. I was still out yestrerday in gale force winds. I went 12-15 mph in 4-5 foot seas head on and 25-28 mph in the same following seas. It is a great sea boat and I have gotten used to the handling. I trailer mine and have no problem with it whatsoever. I see no problem with mooring it either. This past week I was at the dealer and saw a couple of SX230s that had been on moorings most of the summer. The sacrificial anodes were eaten about twice as much as mine. I have had 8 adults on board all sitting in the cockpit and still able to plane within seconds and able to reach between 45-46 mph. I have seen 48 mph with 5 adults on board. As far as low speed steering goes, check out this websit http://www.cobrajetsteering.com . I have seen them on a couple of boats. They look good. I still haven't decided if I need them or not. The boat floats in 16" of water and I have been in places on planes that no I/O would dare follow me. Places I never dared to go with my old I/O. If you are ever up this way, I will take you for a ride. Feel free to contact me for any info. I really like my boat. Sea Yaw!

av8r73

Recruit
Yet another one seriously considering a change

Yet another one seriously considering a change

I recently sold my 96 Regal Valenti 176SE. This was our first boat and was wonderful as long as there was only a moderate chop and winds were less than 15 mph. We would often avoid going out if the seas were 3 - 5 feet with winds at 15 mph. It was a great lake boat but we often went out in the Gulf of Mexico, island hopping. Fuel consumption was outstanding!!! However, we sold it to purchase a home and really miss it. We've been looking at different boats and considered purchasing another Regal. One day, wasting time, I went to my local Yamaha dealership, looking at motorcycles. They sell boats too!!! It was the first time I saw the AR230 HO. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. We wanted something bigger than our 17' 6" to brave rougher days. We hate basing our weekend activities on the 11pm and 7am weather reports. Anyone familiar with Florida knows that in the summer time, the weather can change in a matter of 15 min. Being in the lightening capitol of the world, the last place I want to be stuck, during a storm, is on an empty island or fighting a loosing battle against the rough seas. Boat just wasn't big enough.

In a nut shell...Looked at the new Regal 2520. It's an $80,000.00 boat. A used Destiny 2120 is around $35,000.00. Only considering those because they were the smallest boats we could find with a head. Florida tides cause deeper waters to become very shallow. The sand bars will break a prop., yet another concern. Best case scenario...it throws everyone into the bow and the driver, me, into the windshield. We have 2 little girls and I was always worried about their safety if they were anywhere near the prop. We only tube right now but I would like to teach my daughters to learn to ski or wakeboard. My only concern with the Yamaha is the maintenance. My boat ran me $800.00 for the yearly tune up. Other than that, the Mercruzer was a fantastic motor. Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of maintenance and what is "common troubles", if any, for the Yamaha engines? Yamaha salesman states the 10 hour tune up is minimal but couldn't quote me a price. Other than that he states it's a basic oil change once a year and much like a car, that cost is minimal as well. Again he couldn't qote me a price. Also, this may sound stupid since I live on the Florida coast and they sell them here, are the Yamaha engines designed to take salt water abuse or are they going to be destroyed in 2 years? Before you ask, I did and will continue to flush my boat after every use. Saltwater or fresh, doesn't matter. The engine was ran no less than 15 min. Considering that I continue to do this, will the engines hold up? I was told by the Regal salesman that these boats are designed for lakes and can't take the saltwater abuse. He also stated that these boats don't hold their value at all. However, the Yamaha salesman states that the Yamaha engines can take the abuse of salt water as long as I flush the engines once pulled out of the saltwater. (He states there is no need to flush them after fresh water use). I tend not to believe a salesman. I'm never sure what their concerns are...Person or Paycheck. For those of you who already own one, I don't need to sell the boat to you. I'm just excited about everything it offers. However, I've read many great reviews and want to know, honestly, what the down sides are. I will only be using the boat for family fun, island hopping, and very limited water sports, however, mostly in saltwater. Thank you to everyone who spent the time reading this, and for giving their honest opinion.

Sea Yaw

Cadet

First, don't ask the salesman about maintenance. They don't know anything about it at my dealer. But a good salesman will tell you to ask his service dept., like mine does. In Canada, the 10 hour service cost me about $200-$250 at the dealer. Oil per engine is about $25. Oil filter is about $13 each engine. Don't quite remember. I will be doing my oil changes myself in the future. At 200 hrs, there is a valve ajustment service. That's probably a couple to four hours labor. As far as salt water goes, Yamaha have been in this market for quite a while. Actually, I just called friend of mine. He has a 50 HP Yamaha outboard on his boat. He thinks it is 11 years old. He remembers flushing it once, maybe twice. He uses it spring to fall and parks it in the field through the Eastern Canadian winter till it starts at the turn of the key in the spring. He changed the spark plugs on it last year because a friend told him he wasn't taking good enough care of his motor. When I was buying my boat at the boat show, the Yamaha National sales rep. was there and emphasized a lot on how Yamaha's sdpecial alloys and anti-corrosion systems were made to resist salt water. I know they say that the jet drives engines will drain just like an outboard motor if the trailer is tilted up enough. I am still using mine and after about 50 hrs this summer, I still have no complaints or downside other than my trailer winch crank is stripped. The winch is only rated for 1500 lbs, and the boat weighs 3000# and change. Other than that I am very happy.

av8r73

Recruit

Thank you Sea Yaw. We were looking at the new Regal 2225. However, that's a $50,000 boat. It's a little out of my price range. Besides, there are some things my wife and I didn't like about it. We like that it has a shower in the front and rear of the boat. However, we don't like the placement of the table or the grill. Mostly...we just aren't looking to spend that much money. Especially for a boat that doesn't come with a trailer. My wife and I are going back to the Yamaha dealership this Sat. In Florida it's pretty much always boating season. They have a 2007 that is beautiful and they are willing to make a deal since they already have the 2008's in. We don't want to miss out on the deal however, we're a little nervous of the unknown. I'll try to speak with someone in the service department about basic mechanics and what to expect. Again, I thank you for your comment and honesty. I'll let you know how things go. One last question for you. I see a lot of comments about low speed steering and the cobra jet steering mod. Do you have one? Does it really help and is it worth getting? Only concern is for docking.

Sea Yaw

Cadet

av8r73,

I didn't go for the Cobra mod. I have been learning a lot with my boat. Handling is different but not difficult. Twin engines make a big difference and they are extremely responsive if you see yourself making a mistake. No wake mode (2200 rpm/4-5 mph) is ok for marina travel, but stay in idle for docking and don't be afraid to give little throttle shots for getting onto trailer or swinging stern over quickly.

Hope this helps. let me know how you made out.

If you are still undecided by next May or June, come on up to Canada and my wife and I will take you for a spin.

Happy boating

Sea Yaw!