Any Windlass suggestions for 1995 Larson Escapade 240 Day Cruiser

Boatrunner1

Cadet
I have a 1995 Larson Escapade 240 Day Cruiser and would like to get a windlass system. I know nothing about them.
Can anyone suggest a windlass system for this boat?
Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
This is one like yours which shows a vertical type. Things you need to look for is space available for the anchor motor and rode. The above deck (Horizontal) requires less room/space needed below deck, but not by a lot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	240 Larson.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	10814684

Then need cabling, breakers and control panel.

I would suggest Maxwell first and Lemar second

https://www.lewmar.com/node/15117

alldodge

Staff member
Other things that need to be determined is how much rode will be needed?

Where do you anchor?
How deep is the water?
Are you going to anchor overnight or just daytime in good weather?
What is the bottom made of (rocks, sand, mud, tree stumps, other)?

tpenfield

Staff member
I have not seen windlasses sold as 'systems'. Usually, you will get the windlass, the main circuit breaker and the solenoid. So you will have to get the power cabling, helm switch, and perhaps an additional circuit breaker for the control cabling.

You will also need a bow roller, some chain that is compatible with the windlass 'gypsy' and then some rode (anchor line) that is also compatible with the gypsy. You will need a 'swivel' to go between the anchor and the chain to take out any twist in the rode. Most windlasses work best with braided rode, not the 3 strand twisted rode that many smaller boats have. You may also need a new anchor to work best with the anchor roller.

Maxwell and Lewmar are good choices. There are a few others. You will have to decide on a 'horizontal' or a 'vertical' windlass. Vertical looks cleaner in terms of deck machinery.

I installed a Maxwell RC8-6 windlass on my 33 foot Formula . . . it is a bit under powered for the size of boat, but probably would be good for a boat in the 25-28 foot range.

I did the installation in 2 steps . . . first the bowroller and anchor set-up, plus roughing in the wiring. Then (the next year) I installed the windlass, circuit breakers, and switch panel, rode, etc. Here is a link to my thread on the project:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...gine-topics/9869521-new-anchor-and-bow-roller

Plan on spending about $2500-$3K for everything you will need.