any tire preference for vans at the boat ramp?

HayU

Cadet
I want to convert the old e-150 ('99 Econoline) into a camper van and tow my 14'6" aluminum starcraft with a 20hp motor. I'll be well within the towing capacity limits. However, I would like as much confidence as possible when pulling out of the water, especially on busy ramp days.

I was impressed with the Bf's all terrain tire, but the sizing might be off. Any of your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just don't use slimy ramps. Or do as a family friend did with his 2wd truck, and have a front mounted trailer hitch to use on some ramps. Keeps the drive wheels on good pavement

There are slick ramps that 4 wheel drive is needed.

Regarding tires, you will be adding weight. You may need to jump up in load rating.

HayU

Cadet
Thanks guys, your comment reminded me of the local ramp conditions last fall when the old houseboats were drug out. The ramp looked like a rainbow.

Decent tires, pay attention, Got it!

HayU

Cadet
I considered mounting a 2500lb winch to the front of the trailer. I thought that in dire conditions I could detach the trailer from hitch and then remotely lower and raise the entire boat and trailer while its hooked to the truck or van. What am I overlooking? Think it'd work?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Are you planning on loading on a Cliff?

There are some Tires( Michelin Cross Climate come to mind), that are very good in the Summer, even though they are Mud and Snow Tires, that would probably be a good choice.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Aggressive tires are only good if they have something to “bite”. Unless launching from an unimproved ramp, the worst situation you may run into on a ramp is sand. Might as well be ice.

Traction on slippery surfaces is all about surface contact…..the wider the better. Air down if need be

Any street tire rated for mud and snow would be a better choice. Ran Michelin Cross Terrain until discontinued. Have since switched over to Michelin Defender LTX

southkogs

Staff member
I drove an E150 for years towing my Bayliner. That's around 2,700#. I had a heavy duty suspension on it, so the tires were load rated for that. But I think I ran Toyos and Firestones on it over the years. I never had an issue pulling the boat out on any ramps here in Tennessee.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You are towing next to nothing. A 4x8' trailer loaded with a lawn tractor weighs more.
We had an "87 GMC vandura "camper" for 20 years, and then
a Safari mini van for 5 years.
Never had anything but all-season radials on them. Fleet Farm RoadRunners, and Firestones if I recall correctly.

We towed 1400-1800 #'s, never had a launch issue.

Didn't switch to AWD or 4wd vehicles until we started doing
beach launches at remote locations.

HayU

Cadet
Are you planning on loading on a Cliff?

There are some Tires( Michelin Cross Climate come to mind), that are very good in the Summer, even though they are Mud and Snow Tires, that would probably be a good choice.
I love the looks of them, divide n conquer!

HayU

Cadet
I drove an E150 for years towing my Bayliner. That's around 2,700#. I had a heavy duty suspension on it, so the tires were load rated for that. But I think I ran Toyos and Firestones on it over the years. I never had an issue pulling the boat out on any ramps here in Tennessee.
That's good to know. I wondered if I should look beyond the stock suspension. I can roll the boat around by hand, so it can't need anywhere near the energy your Bayliner required. But, once I go ahead and install the granite countertops, and french bidet, all that weight's bound to add up.

HayU

Cadet
You are towing next to nothing. A 4x8' trailer loaded with a lawn tractor weighs more.
We had an "87 GMC vandura "camper" for 20 years, and then
a Safari mini van for 5 years.
Never had anything but all-season radials on them. Fleet Farm RoadRunners, and Firestones if I recall correctly.

We towed 1400-1800 #'s, never had a launch issue.

Didn't switch to AWD or 4wd vehicles until we started doing
beach launches at remote locations.
That's the Dream!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I was a van owner for over 30 years, towed many boats with it. Add a front hitch, even just a reciever in case you might need help getting up a ramp, I never did, but that front reciever was a " piece of mind just in case"...Having tried many different tires, I found the Michelin brand made a tire rated for wet slippery conditions, and I can tell you they worked extremely well !! Never had them slip on wet pavement unless you just stomped it full throttle. Also got almost 80K miles from them, best tires I ever owned. I am sure there are other mfgrs, but ask for a tire that has the best traction on wet pavement specifically !!

HayU

Cadet
I was a van owner for over 30 years, towed many boats with it. Add a front hitch, even just a reciever in case you might need help getting up a ramp, I never did, but that front reciever was a " piece of mind just in case"...Having tried many different tires, I found the Michelin brand made a tire rated for wet slippery conditions, and I can tell you they worked extremely well !! Never had them slip on wet pavement unless you just stomped it full throttle. Also got almost 80K miles from them, best tires I ever owned. I am sure there are other mfgrs, but ask for a tire that has the best traction on wet pavement specifically !!
Solid!

matt167

Captain
I would use a tire with rain and snow characteristics for the launch ramp slime. Something like the Kumho Road venture HT 51 which is an all season highway tire with 75k warranty but it has siping and rain channels for rain/snow and is 3 peak snow rated. You may never need the snow capability but it’s a great highway tire to boot

HayU

Cadet
Everyone has helped me find direction on the issue. Thanks so much!

I look forward to sharing my old boat rehab. I want to see if it's the same boat next summer. Ahem, I might have taken a few liberties, calculated of course.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I carry a couple of 2' x 6' pieces of carpet in my truck. If needed I lay it, or them, in front on the rear tires for extra grip on slippery ramp pavement.

Gilgo Beach

Recruit
I tow a 19' boat and trailer that weigh almost 3000 lbs with a 2000 E150. I have inexpensive tires on it because I hardly put any miles on it. Never had a problem pulling up the ramp. I do Chock my front left tire when on the ramp to prevent sliding down the ramp just in case.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Unless the ramp is gravel or dirt any tire will work, even balled. If the ramp is slimy then even good tread doesn't help much until tire gets off the slim

airshot

Rear Admiral
Course treads will help, many tire mfgrs make tires for wet surfaces. Carry a bag/ bucket of fine gravel to throw under your tires, make sure it is sharp edge gravel not rounded decorative pebbles.