Any Starcraft Tuna Fishers

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am toying with the idea of going tuna fishing next summer. However it is a 25-30 mile run each way, plus you fish at 2-7 mph (burn a significant amount of fuel).
I got the safety gear except the epirb and lift raft.
I only hold 36 gal. of fuel, so I would need to bring an extra 20 gallons.

Does anyone take their starcraft out this far?
I know my fuel consumption is 3-4 mpg because I run 5-15 mile out now several times per year.

Weep'n Willy

Re: Any Starcraft Tuna Fishers

Can't help you on the ocean side of things but I can attest for running on the Great Lakes. When I had a 22' Islander we would run 15-25 miles out on Lk Michigan (from MI towards WI line) scum line fishing for salmon and trout and also used to go to Isle Royale from the Keewenaw Peninsula in upper Michigan which was a 60 mile run one way. The boat handled the waters very well and most wave conditions. I say most as one trip back from Isle Royale we tried to beat the oncoming storm. Unfortunately the storm brewed from the east and we were heading eastward back to Houghton and were fighting the rising surf head on. At 11 miles from shore we hit a rouge wave that stood the Islander on her tail. I didn't want to look down to see what rolled down my pant legs to the floor but sure was glad when we reached shore.

Otherwise I never feared taking that boat out on the big waters. Having all your safety gear, travel with other boats, and plenty of fuel make those types of trip doable. I will certainly stress traveling with other boats.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

How big is your boat Elkhunter?

elkhunter338

21' Cheiftain, with the 140 hp mercruiser I/O. I have run 8-12 miles out many days, halibut out about 18 miles.
The tuna are generally 25-35 miles out. So it is a full 12 hr day of fishing and the boat would never shut down. I would only attempt on the flat glass days that I could cruise at 25 mph and I have been told from other you can contact the coast guard from the tuna grounds and others are in the area fishing on those nice days. You have to carry ice and several ice chests or tuna bags. So I would have a boat load. Probably 70-100 lbs ice, 3 extra gas cans, ice down cooler, and 3 other coolers. I think I have room for all the ice chest.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

21' Cheiftain, with the 140 hp mercruiser I/O. I have run 8-12 miles out many days, halibut out about 18 miles.
The tuna are generally 25-35 miles out. So it is a full 12 hr day of fishing and the boat would never shut down. I would only attempt on the flat glass days that I could cruise at 25 mph and I have been told from other you can contact the coast guard from the tuna grounds and others are in the area fishing on those nice days. You have to carry ice and several ice chests or tuna bags. So I would have a boat load. Probably 70-100 lbs ice, 3 extra gas cans, ice down cooler, and 3 other coolers. I think I have room for all the ice chest.

I would love to go tuna fishing. Sounds like a blast. It also sounds like you need to upgrade to a 26' with a 305 or 350 mercruiser in it.

If you have a GoPro video I would love to see an ocean trip. What's a tuna bag, how big to the tuna get?

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I go about 3 times a year, though not on a Starcraft.

I made two videos

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

What's a tuna bag, how big to the tuna get?

It's a cooler that is a bag
KoldZone%20Kill%20Bags%20%20all%20colors.jpg

Many brands available but the idea is that it takes up less space on the boat.
Best ones on the market go for around $250 but you get what you pay for.
Tuna that are around here can go from 20 to 30 lbs.
They say once you go to the dark side you never come back...
This type of fishing is on my bucket list but you need the correct boat and the right friends to do.
You must go with other boats and share info or you won't be successful.
Personally I would rather go with a boat that has twins for backup and is large for comfort.
GLG

elkhunter338

No doubt twins are ideal for tuna fishing. I am keeping my eye out for another starcraft a 24-26 (Chief or Islander) but I am not holding my breath, not many in the Pacific NW and I cant afford a North River or similar boat. Fiberglass is just too heavy to haul back and forth over the mountains with my camper on the pickup.
So I am still hoping someday a cheap 24-26' fixer upper willl show up. Since it will be an i/o my plan would be to probably convert to twin outboards, or if its got the merc. i/o maybe hang a 30-35hp kicker on a custom built bracket.
So everyone keep your eye out for a big starcraft in Oregon/Washington/Northern Calif.

fishrdan

Admiral

It doesn't look like you've had much response to this thread so far. There's a So Cal/westcoast tuna fishing forum you should run your questions by, bloodydecks dot com. They have guys up in your area that go out chasing tuna. Good place to pickup advise, maybe even a buddy boat.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

You Oregon Guys are a barrell of fun. Might be best to go once with a charter and then decide if you want to try that with a smaller boat. Ounce of prevention could be real inportant there. Bad weather if it comes up could be a world of hurt. Been there done that but not even in my 22 ft boat.

elkhunter338

I talk with the salty dogs on ifish. I was curious if any of the starcraft guys tuna fish, winter is kind of slow so thought I would post my question since we are all interested in what other starcraft guys fish for and what/how they use their boat.
I would only go out with very nice weather and most of the time the wind always blows so I would be heading out into the weather and beable to ride the waves back in just incase the weather picked up. I got caught in bad weather one day and only had to go 5 miles and it took 2hrs. Won't do that again.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I go about 3 times a year, though not on a Starcraft.

I made two videos

Are they on youtube?

I think a bigger boat is a safer bet. A buddy boat would be a good idea. A 24' or 26' tinnie will be easier to find in the Great Lakes area. It might save you a ton of money. I know it's a loooong drive. I want a 1970 F-100 truck and they're all rusted around here, now out in Cali tons of rust free trucks.

Maybe you'll get lucky. The tinhoard has been notified.