any rabbit raisers on iboats????

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
well before i bore ya all to death ill ask first. anyone here raise rabbits. meat, pets? i did from 2006-2009 and had to get out for a bit. just got some new stock this week. pure bread pedigrees. californians. a buck and 2 doe trio. the white ones. the ones with the grey smutt are a 2 buck and doe trio. the'll loose the dark as they mature.
cals.jpgcals1.jpg

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: any rabbit raisers on iboats????

What do you do with them?
I enjoy rabbit in a terrine (both mother and G/mother made neat ones!!) with pork or wild duck etc.
Those bunnies look like they would make a pretty class'y Ushanka too. (white is not my color, but I'm sure the girls would go for it).

Do you have a problem with rabbits? We do.
They are an introduced 'pest' and build to plague proportions and graze the country 'out'.
In NZ years back, I saw a bunny on the side of a very big hill. Shot it with a 22 and I swear to god the hill moved.
There were thousands of them.

They have introduced myxomatosis, pluss they aerial bait them with chopped carrots laced with cyanide (got to get the stock off first of course). Place stinks for a bit afterwards.

Cheers
Phillip

tomdinwv

I don't "raise" them but I do have one. It's just a pet. Big female. I can't remember what kind she is but she is spoiled. I had another one that the kids conned me into getting but they never paid it any attention so we gave it away. It was a Lionhead.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

My great-uncle gave me a rabbit for my birthday when I was in kindergarten. He neither told me, nor my parents that she was pregnant! Then I had LOTS of rabbits!
We have lots of jackrabbits around here and some friends of mine had shot one and attempted to cook some of the meat. Horrible. But we were just a bunch of dumb kids, so I'd definitely try it again better prepared.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Wow, did that bring back some unpleasant memories. My Dad brought home two rabbits (male and a female) when I was a youngster. I don't know if it was to be a lesson in the birds and bees or what was on his mind.

I hated those rabbits. It was my job to feed and water and provide the bedding. Yep, every 8 weeks or so I'd find half eaten babies in the cage. I was never told to separate the male and female and I couldn't if I wanted as we only had the one cage.

Then they got mange and had scabs all over their rear extremities. I HATED those rabbits.

aspeck

Staff member

I like rabbits ... rabbit stew, fried rabbit, rabbit potpie, even rabbit bbq ... yum!

Piece715

Had two rabbits as pets growing up.. at two separate times... but now-a-days I prefer their use in the kitchen.... Made this just the other day.. Braised Rabbit with exotic mushrooms on top of homemade fettuccine noodles with a chardonnay cream sauce... Yep I'm Italian and the mother had me in the kitchen at a young age. :D

photo.jpg

foodfisher

Captain

Had a girl friend whose father raised rabbits. His mistake was letting the grandkids name them, then asking "guess who we're having for dinner?" Mean ole grampa never raised anymore.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a family of cottontails living under my front porch and grazing my yard. It is great fun watching the young at play. They have become pretty tolerant of me, as long as I don't threaten to step on them.

I am fond of cottontail in sour cream, but, just like my "yard" deer I can't bring myself to shoot them.

Squirrels, though; ratzakratza varmints raid my pecan storage and turn my garage into a mess. Those get slain and keep the neighborhood buzzards fat.

foodfisher

Captain

Squirrels taste a lot like rabbit. Similar to chicken.:D

catfishcarl99

ya i did my homework before i began the first time. all rabbits except for the young "fryers" should be kept seperated. i raise them for meat. domestic rabbit is all white meat and the breek i have now are californias. second on the best breed for meat rabbits.

yes we in the states have wild cottontails and jackrabbits but there red tougher more wild meat. these are more like a cross between a chicken breast "white" and a thigh "juicy". there not as dry as chicken breast but have the white meat and juice of thigh.

at one time before i had 70-75 rabbits. some i dress and sell to friends for meat and sell some bunnies for breeding stock. or pets. these i have now are no different than a pedigreed yorkie. fill blood and papered. youve never had rabbit till youve had domestic. theres NO comparison. a lil terramycin in the water one week a month and shots of penn, and mite drops for cats will clear up most nasties. the manure grows some bodatious tomatoes too. but its hot and deeds composting unlike my goats.

SANY0041.jpg

SANY0037.jpg

BBQ
Picture160.jpg

fried
Picture051.jpg

grilled
done1-1.jpg

even had it smoked though i cant find the pic.:D