Any problems with cutting the exhaust Y-pipe?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
781
Hello,

I had a 1986 Merc 260/Alpha One, but that block is currently at the machine shop and will be the base for my 383 build over the winter (see thread in the Non-Repair I/O forum). I am looking at different performance exhaust systems to use with the new 383, along with the custom silent choice that I made, and it doesn't look like it's going to work with the current setup of my Y-pipe (or any other Y-pipe that I've looked at online). The one in my boat (well, in the garage at the moment) is a circular pipe, 3-inch diameter. Lots of people in these forums say that getting the exhaust to fit right is just a trial and error process. I was thinking I could cut the Y-pipe about half way between the opening on the transom assembly and the top of the pipe on each side, and use either some flexible exhaust hose, or a custom-bent pipe in its place. I'd also move the shutters down to where I end up cutting it. Has anyone ever done this before, or am I missing something that would make this impossible to do?
 

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
399
Re: Any problems with cutting the exhaust Y-pipe?

Interesting.
Where's the waterline going to be? Does the Y-pipe connection point have to be fully watertight (i.e. below waterline)?
Are the shutters going to be below waterline, then?
Maybe just a few things to think about...
 

cr2k

Captain
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
3,730
Re: Any problems with cutting the exhaust Y-pipe?

Y-pipe connection points DO have to be water tight. I don't see any problem as long as it's sealed tight. Flappers would be best used above the water line.
 

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
781
Re: Any problems with cutting the exhaust Y-pipe?

I agree that it absolutely needs to be water tight, as it will probably be very close to or below the waterline. I'll see if I can get a set of 3" internal flappers and install them inside diverters I have. What would be the best way to seal the connection below the water line? is 3M 4200 heat resistant? or is there something better that would work?
 
Top