Any Pool Players here????

SoulWinner

Commander
I have played pool for about 20 years. In the last year I have gotten pretty good, playing on Brunswick regulation tables, and a Diamond Professional table (it has really narrow pockets, if you can play on the Diamond, you can rock on ANY table). I am now thinking of getting a Meucci. Anybody else play? What cue do you use?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Any Pool Players here????

I used to play years ago SW, mostly on the old Brunswick tables they would have in different places. ;) <br />I still have my cue somewhere. It was made from Mahogany. :cool:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Use to play in a bar league for a few years until it got old.. never bought a cue tho.. always used the tavern cues. I won a Viking cue (made localy at the time) at one of the banquets but, never used it.. its fun to grab a game here and there but it becomes real evident that I'm out of touch with the game.. <br /><br />..shooting for the leave and missing on the object ball becomes the norm usually. :D

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I stopped playing leagues after last year simply because hardly anybody wanted to play by the rules(VNEA).<br /><br />I played leagues for 30 years and ended with a lifetime 8.8 average.<br /><br />I have always loved the game and always will.<br /><br />EDIT:As far as sticks go I never owned anything other than Schmelke.Besides--"It's not the stick it's the hands the stick is in."

sangerwaker

Commander

I played leagues and tourneys for several years, but have been playin for about 20. My persona; cue is a Schon, and I also have a Falcon break/jump cue. I have several cues that don't get used very often also. A Huebler, a Huebler hustler, a McDermott and a Helmtetter. I usually shoot at home now, but not very often. I have a 9' 1942 Brunswick table.<br /><br />Yes, SW, those Diamond tables are awesome! If you want a real challenge, find someplace that has a 12' snooker table. Not a 10' American, but a true English 12'. Those are incredibly tough to play on.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I play at the bar or a friends basement sometimes. I enjoy it but I'm not nearly as good as other people at the bar. <br /><br />I've got a cue - hardly every use it though. Too afraid that someone will walk off with it.<br /><br />Meucci's are really nice but some people will tell you that you're paying for the butt of the cue (inlay, carving, playboy logo) - some pros will tell you that it's only the first foot or so of the cue that matters.<br /><br />You can get several ends for it to make it longer/shorter. You might want to get an extra one for breaking (or use a house cue) so that you don't have to worry about warping/breaking your good stick!<br /><br />Let us know what you end up!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The mrs got me one for Christmas of 02. It was made my American Heritage. A spin off of Brunswick. Made in the same town. Cues are ones I got with the table. They are made of some type metal alloy. <br /><br />I'm just now getting competitive somewhat. But I still stink!

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to play once a week in a pub years ago. I was never much good, but always played better after 1 bottle of beer. It went downhill from there though.

tylerin

Commander

Sore subject here,(Wife hates it) but I've got a pool room. Shoot quite often. Rarely been beat on my own table, but my son is getting pretty good. Just a matter of time

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have been playing pool for about 30 yrs, played in a leauge(vnea) for about the last ten years,played about twice a week .i really enjoy the game,but not playing this year,i have had several different sticks over the years,mcdermott,joss.meucci but i think my favorite is my predator. i do enjoy the game very much,,,, never had my own table,always wanted one through.Bart if you finshed with a 8.8 that's a very good average.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

When in high school me and my friends hung out in a pool hall. used to play all of the time. I was never very good though. My friends played league and tourneys a lot, but I was never good enough. I can hold my own in a bar match but that's it. We did some good hustles for some small cash with me as bait I was that bad.<br />I just used house cues whatever looked straight and sounded solid.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Used to shoot way too much.<br />Now I live in the sticks and work nights, so the cue has stayed in the gun safe for 8 years. I have only used it twice since having the tip replaced 9 years ago.<br /><br />sparrowhawk@direcway.com<br />Every cue maker has their own feel. Only shot with a Meucci once, and it was a real real real light cue. It shot well, but hard to really judge if I liked it since it was so light.<br /><br />Its a Schon, sp-30, black-red-with silver rings and linen wrap, PLUS it is one of the last he made with a REAL ivory ferule and inlays in the butt section. She's a beauty, and she's looking for a new home.<br /><br />Have had a few McDermotts, but the shooting quality really suffered after they started mass producing. The early models from the "c" line were great, but then I guess they were really a Schon.

PW2

Commander

I played a fair amount in college. Always money games. My goal was to pay for my weekend entertainment playing pool, and I rarely ended a weekend with less money than I started with on Friday. <br /><br />Thanks in large part to the sailors at the Oak Harbor Naval Air Station.<br /><br />My roommate was really good, and paid his entire way thru the University of Washington with a pool cue.<br /><br />We used to play snooker every Friday afternoon at the HUB to hone skills. If you can get good at snooker, with the rounded pockets, you can clean up at the taverns around.<br /><br />Cues, tables, etc simply don't matter much. Within reasonable limits, of course. It is a game of psychology and strategy, and not equipment. We'd love to see people come in with their own cues. They were always easier to suck into a game.<br /><br />And I never worried about my own skill level. Only that I was better than who I was playing.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

amen PW and SW, the narrow pockets make a huge<br />diff. learned on a 1850's brunswick in MY cuz's<br />attic many moons ago.

SoulWinner

Commander

I played the last two nights on the Diamond. My game has been a bit off, and the guy giving me lessons was womping me both nights. I really like playing on the Diamond. It is frustrating, but it is making me a better player.<br /><br />I have known several guys that could rank nationally if they played in the big tourneys. I think the best pool players in the world are probably unknowns playing in bars and pool halls. I have a long way to go, but I really love to play. When we build a house, it will have a pool room.

dolluper

Captain

Played many years on 6x12 brunswick tables [snooker] they had small pockets but some other ones had smaller,if you want to get good play on the small pocket tables the others end up looking like baskets after.4x8 bar ones are a joke the shoots fall in from anywhere .My cue is 38 years old 2 piece black eboney and still straight as an arrow .Always kept out of the case and away from humid or too dry conditions,got one of thoose bar ones in the basement just for the laughs with friends

aspeck

Staff member

Played a lot of years. Hung up the cue when I sold the house last year - new house doesn't have a big enough basement. Older priorities made a 4 car garage, one I could back the boat in and keep it hooked up to the Denali for early morning ventures to the lake was more imortant than the poll table. Sure did ahve a lot of fun, though.

oddjob

Commander

I have a cheapy in the mans room. I've been playing since a teen. Nine ball is my game. But my best tavern talent is Voos ball ( table soccer ). Havn't been beaten since I was a teen. That is a challenge to all. I would love to fine a tournament to enter before I get too old toi show off :)

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> I would love to fine a tournament to enter before I get too old to show off :)
Sit down OJ I've got some bad news for you ;) :D :p

oddjob

Commander

Were on! and I'll only use one hand just to make it interesting..TY ;)