Any pics or plans for bolted aluminium trailers?

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys does anyone have any pictures or plants maybe even advice on a diy bolt together aluminium trailer? need to haul a 18 foot glass boat, trailer needs to be dual axle

thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Aluminum trailers have 1 advantage in my opinion, and that is not rusting when exposed to salt.

That advantage would be lost if it was bolted together.

They look nice, but are generally not lighter, as the aluminum is much thicker than steel.
And aluminum is more expensive. So, unless you get your materials for free.....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I work at a company that makes a lot of things out of aluminum. I thought of making my own aluminum trailer. the materials alone are more than I can buy a trailer already done, licensed and tagged.

they get material in volume where people like you and I dont

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Aluminum trailers have 1 advantage in my opinion, and that is not rusting when exposed to salt.

That advantage would be lost if it was bolted together.
I have never seen nor would I want a welded aluminum trailer. Wouldn’t handle the vibration and the inherent flex of a boat trailer

Frame bolted together with stainless. Brackets attached with zinc plate

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
These are my options

brand new alloy trailer $5000

build my own materials cost $1000 alloy welder to weld the i beam is $400 i can use my existing axle,wheels etc...

repairing my current trailer is not an option the steel has split along the seam in several locations and rust all over

im thinking of going 130mm i beams and have the outside rails cut, welded than boxed in the rest of the trailer will be bolted together but i dont know the side rail to a A frame ratio

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
brand new alloy trailer $5000
That’s crazy price...a good friend bought a new #7500 aluminum trailer for his 24ft. boat with all the bells and whistles, delivered to his house for under $4k

130mm is too small.

8” x 3”x .25. Boxing the channel buys you nothing but headaches and expense

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Smoking its a pretty big boat here's a picture, i was thinking of going 130mm i beams with 76x76x6mm cross members

Attachments

• photo290068.jpg
    photo290068.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I have never seen nor would I want a welded aluminum trailer. Wouldn’t handle the vibration and the inherent flex of a boat trailer

Well, there are plenty of they out there, Pinnacle, Myco, Guardian, Marine Master, to name a few.
They are putting quarter million dollar boats on them, so I'm guessing they hold together.

002-bunks_orig.jpg

photo-5.jpg

pinnacle2.gif

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well, there are plenty of they out there, Pinnacle, Myco, Guardian, Marine Master, to name a few.
They are putting quarter million dollar boats on them, so I'm guessing they hold together.
As a certified welder, Mechanical Designer and a member of the Aluminum Association, aluminum is great for a lot of things but welded aluminum trailers isn't one of them.

Here, pop a batch of popcorn and catch up the subject of "fatigue cracking in welded aluminum trailers"....

https://www.google.com/search?clien...0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..15.1.180....0.AjJayfufkJ0

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Do u guys think it is is possibly to bend alloy i beam's 20 degrees or less 6061 T6 without fracturing? bends will be on a 6.5 meter length one bend per length