Any one have info on Tuffy boats!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I bought a boat from a buddy over a year ago. The manufacture tag says Tuffy boats by formex. I have searched the net, and not really forund anything or pictures of similar boats. The boat was in michigan for years and i beleive it to be a lake states boat or canadian. I think i remember reading over a year ago about it maybe being a walleye boat? I have even checked the fiberglassics web site. The boat is around 15ft and is currently configured with two pedastal seats and a casting deck and a rear seat that the driver tiller steers from. I'll have to find my pics of it to post them. The boat is also a shallow draft trihull?

Any info or pics of your tuffy boat in the condition now or an original configutration would be appreciated. I would like to know how it was originally configured.

-Nate

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Any one have info on Tuffy boats!

The guides we use for walleye and musky on Lake Of The Woods all use Tuffys, 19' and 21'.

Very good boats. A bit more expensive than the run-of-the-mill walleye and musky boats, but seem worth it.

Pedestal seats and tiller helm? Walleye boat.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is an old boat probably from the 70's its at the lake hose ill look next week. This boat is only 15ft long not your typical deep v high sided walleye boat like i would think of. I don't think it looks like a walleye boat, but mor like a fiberglass john boat. I just said walleye boat because of stuff i read on the net. Maybe its a different tuffy? Also as old as the boat is i doubt the interior is orriginal.

-Nate

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

When I grew up in the 50's, in a family of modest means, my parents used to buy me loafers made by Tuffy, in England. They were a bit funny looking but had a lifetime warranty.

Maybe they switched to boats instead of boots?8)

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats it guys. I thought someone out there would remember having an old tuffy or Formex boat. This is deffinitly not a tuffy boat like JB has currently been on and seems like a streach for an english shoe maker to make a boat, an american manufacturer maybe. d:)

Tuffy might be the model or type of boat, the manufacturer parent company i beleive is formex inc.

I will be there this next week and will get the HIN.

-Nate

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A local fiberglass manufacturer now called Fiberdome here in Lake Mills, WI used to make a small line of boats named Tuffy. This was maybe ~ 10 years ago???

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First you reminded me that i never got back to my own post and posted the bin #. This boat i beleive to be from the mid to late 70's. I got it from a guy who had it for several years and he bought it from a guy who had it sitting in his back yard for i don't know how long and i have had it for about 2 years, so i don't think it may be from that guy, but i beleive it to be from up north.

-Nate

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i looked up tuffy on the uscg website and the parent company is fiberdome like you said, but it says that it has been making boats since 1972. I think the motor is a 1972 but for some reason i thought it was a 70'. The guy i bought it from was from WI, and i beleive he bought it from a guy in the same state.

-Nate

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ran across these pics of the boat while looking through a thumb drive looking for other stuff, forgot i had these in my posestion. You can see the boat in these i have more angles if someone needs them and can identify them.

-nate

Attachments

• Inside.JPG
    Inside.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1
  • inside back.JPG
    inside back.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
  • inside front.JPG
    inside front.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 0

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tuffy has been making boats for 30 or so years. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like a Roustabout or Marauder model - a musky boat.​

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looks like a great fishing platform.

I thought someone out there would remember having an old tuffy or Formex boat.

Tuffy might be the model or type of boat, the manufacturer parent company i beleive is formex inc.

-Nate

Hi Nate,

I happen to have a Tuffy around the same year as well. Your boat is in much nicer shape. I need the weight capacity of the boat if you happen to have it, or somebody else that has a boat like this. I do know it is rated for 25 according to what a Tuffy rep has told me. BTW, it is a WI manufacturer.

Here is the info he was able to provide to me...

Matt,

That?s a Formex boat, built by that company before Glasway took over the Tuffy line and expanded it in 1978. The rating on that boat was 25 HP, but tags no longer are available because of the boat?s age. Since that was before even my time with Tuffy, I can?t help you with a picture. Hope this helps!

Steve Worrall

Tuffy

My Coast Guard tag was painted over and is beyond resurecting whatever was printed on it. That is why I am hoping to be able to get a weight rating for motor, gear, and passengers. I wish I was able to confirm the interior as far as being original layout or modified, mine was gutted out when I bought it. Since I purchased mine, I have set down a floor and made a casting deck on the front, all removable until I decide 100% of how I want it to be.

Just like Nate, hoping for some info... Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Matt