Any computer techs out there?

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do I permanently delete files from a computer?

We just purchased a new computer and we need to dispose of our old computer (Dell desktop, pretty basic set up). My wife wants to give it to our friends across the street so their kids can use it to play games. They're very young kids so I suppose an old crappy computer may suffice for their simple games for now. If we don't donate it to the neighbors I suppose we'll just throw it in the garbage. For the most part we just have simple stuff on the computer, such as shopping lists, recipes, kids homework, etc. The main thing that would make me nervous is that our last four years of TurboTax returns are on the hard drive.

I know I can hit "delete" and then go into the Recyle Bin and delete them again, but is that sufficient? I doubt I need a CIA/FBI full disk "wipe" so nothing is traceable, but enough so that the average Joe (or my neighbor) can't retrieve and open the files. My neighbor is not a tech guy - just like me. And yes, I trust him, but I have a hunch that if a TurboTax file was easily noticed the average guy would double-click on it and take a peek (same reason most guys are reading up on Tiger Woods personal life!).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Any computer techs out there?

You will want to use the partition that will restore it back to like new with none of your personal info on it.
When the PC boots up it should flash a message like F11 or something to do setup...
You have to hit it quick before windows loads..
This will restore it back to original and delete anything you have installed.

Read this.....Its the control and F-11 key..
http://lbis.kenyon.edu/helpline/julia2

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

This will restore it back to original and delete anything you have installed.

Thanks. Will that leave Windows intact? If not, will the neighbor need Windows on the computer in order to load games? We no longer have the original Windows restoration (?) disks.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No...it will put it back like the day you bought it.
The operating system will be there.
If i remember about all Dell pcs have the image on a partitioned part of the hard drive.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The only way to make data stored on the HD unreadable, is to write over it with random characters. Deleting it, or formatting the disk, won't prevent the data from being recovered, if someone is truly determined to get it. In fact, some say that you have to write over the disk seven times, to make all data unrecoverable.

That's the "take it to the extreme side." As a practical matter, formatting the drive would probably accomplish what you want, simply because you have to have some equipment and know what you are doing, to recover data at that point. There is a recovery partition on your C: drive - it probably shows up in "My Computer" as a D: drive. If you do the recovery routine, it should "wipe" the remaining portion of the HD. Don't do this, however, unless you have made the recovery CDs that the computer prompted you to make, when you first got it. You can only make these CDs once, so if you did make them, but have lost them, you're out of luck.

Once again, however, the term "wipe, as used here," is a misnomer - it doesn't really wipe anything. The good news is that if you really want to make the old data unrecoverable, you can use a program like this ...

http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedriv...=google+wipe&gclid=COr3_uzCwp4CFUlo5Qod_DyCog

???

j_martin

Admiral

Go download eraser (eraser.exe) and install it. Do a security erase (can be done from windows explorer at that point on all your private files. Then give the puter to the kids.

If you've already deleted the files, do a security erase of all the unused area on the hard drive. It takes awhile, but there's no escape.

hope it helps
John

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

IF you restore the computer to the "original" status it normally requires that you download ALL the windows updates and security again. It can be a real PITA depending on how old the system is.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

IF you restore the computer to the "original" status it normally requires that you download ALL the windows updates and security again. It can be a real PITA depending on how old the system is.

Yup ... just got done doing it to one of my computers. If you have Win XP, you will probably have to load Service Pack 3, at minimum. You will also have to download other updates. If you had previously upgraded Media Player, Windows Explorer, etc., all of that will have to be updated again, too.

The easiest way to get the routine updates is by going here:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

The site will read your 'puter, to determine What you need. You can then do either an Express Update or a Custom Update, which allows you to pick what you want to download.

???

dolluper

Captain

Yup ... just got done doing it to one of my computers. If you have Win XP, you will probably have to load Service Pack 3, at minimum. You will also have to download other updates. If you had previously upgraded Media Player, Windows Explorer, etc., all of that will have to be updated again, too.

UOTE]

dolluper

Captain

Man this thing is messed, on the yippy box bear with me guys as it is freaky,does things I haven't learned yet {hacker]';t4j

Last edited: