Fast idle lever on control box

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
It seems that my fast idle lever is not working. It will move up and down and prevent the shifter from going into gear when in the up position, but it does not move the cables when looking at the carb linkage. It worked fine last year and progressively got worse until it quit. It is also loose with no tension to hold it in the upward position. Is there an adjustment inside of the control box?, may I have some broken parts inside? I have never taken apart the control box, is it a complete disaster to do so, or a fairly simple task. Engine 1983 75 HP Evinrude model #E75TRLCTE

shadetree918

Seaman
Re: Fast idle lever on control box

Taking apart the control box is kind of in between disaster and simple. Just be careful and note how everything is assembled, oh and it's greasy in there. Sounds like you may have a broken cable or the setscrew came loose on the end of the cable linkage. I have a 1979 140hp and that is what is inside mine, your may be a little different being newer model.

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does ur shifter move ur throttle cable and shift cables ? if so then ur right with the problem lying with the fast idle lever. Open it up, not to difficult just open slowly ....I dont think its gonna go south on u ........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you very well may have a streched cable, how old are they. when they strech, the little movement of the fast idle lever, won't take up the slack.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

you very well may have a streched cable, how old are they. when they strech, the little movement of the fast idle lever, won't take up the slack.

Cables are original 1983, but work perfect and are in great shape except for the fast idle.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

When moving the fast idle lever up and down it feels as if there is no tension on the lever at all. I am not familer with the guts of the control box, I have looked at the schematic and cannot figure out how it works.

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

If you take it apart watch out for the ball bearing it will take an eye or have you crawling around on the floor for hours.