Another problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohioriver

Seaman
Re: Another problem!

Good luck, the biggest easy out you can use is always the best, It sure wouldn't hurt to put penetrating oil on it tonight and let it soak. If, big if, you can hit it hard with a hammer before you start drilling it is supposed to help loosen the threads up.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would not hit it very hard with the hammer if at all, that is a good way to make it worse by messin up the threads. Once you get them out I would go to Home Depot and spend 25 bucks on ball valves. They work awesome and the passage is still big enough with them open to stick a wire in the block to remove any scale build up that might be holding water in. It takes me about a minute to completely drain my block and manifolds. I used a 2 inch long brass pipe going into the block and then put the valves on that so the handles are out away from the manifolds and easy to operate. I also had to get 90 degree bends for the manifolds and those point down and away so no water splashes on the starter. Works awesome, course I only boat in fresh water and with my boat only being 3 years old, the water is always clear as tap water when I drain everything, so I am not as worried about scale and rust building up and causing a blockage.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finally! I got some time to work on it today and i finally got it out. :D

Attachments

• motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • motor2.JPG
    motor2.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • motor3.JPG
    motor3.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • motor4.JPG
    motor4.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 0

Ohioriver

Seaman

Nice job! sure it was a pain in the A but it sure beats having to pull the motor just for that.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just wanted to thank all you guys for your suggestions. This forum is great! I'm sure i will soon have some more question. :redface:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

and....put a little marine grease on those threads...and never worry about that happening again...

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Lou. It is a brand new engine, so i did think that it was going to be as tough as it was to get it out. I have new brass plugs ready to go back in.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I've got a 22 year old engine...with the brass plugs...it's raw water cooled and used in salt water at least 10 seasons...I have been putting some OMC/Bombardier triple guard grease on the threads as long as I've had it and I've never had trouble getting the plugs out...and this boat sits on a mooring in salt water...6 months out of the year..and doesn't get flushed till the end of the season...I do fill it up with the best -100 antifreeze when I winterize...which seems to keep the corrosion at bay...

Cptkid570

Ensign

Just wanted to say congratulations and good job. That part of the engine sure is a pain in the butt to get to.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys! I have a quick question. Winterized the motor today. I have about 6 hours on the new engine. Should i go ahead and fog it?

Status
Not open for further replies.