Another Newb...Introduction.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello one and all. Just wanted to post up and introduce myself. The name is Dan and I'm in Las Vegas. I got turned on to this forum by watching Jay's Sea Ray restringing project on his 220 select on YouTube. Gotta say I'm amazed that he tackled that project himself and did such an amazing job. My hat is off to him and love the way the boat looks.

I'm currently without a boat, but should be rectefying this issue within the next 2-3 weeks. I'm not a total boating newb, as I did buy my first boat back in 06...a new 06 Bayliner 175 (I know, I know) and had that thing for a year then got rid of it for a few reasons. But have missed being on the water on my own boat ever since then and have missed it. So the time has come to fill that slot. We've been poking around and looking for the right deal for a bit, and we have narrowed it down to 4 boats. Still have to do some more research and stuff, but should be pulling the trigger in the next couple weeks. So here's the short list of what we've found...

1992 Sea Ray 220, 5.7 Merc with Alpha, hours unknown, gelcoat in great shape, interior in great shape...only faults I saw was some wires under the helm (probably from the stereo) and the wooden perch for one of the aft jump seats was rotted and broken. Haven stepped foot onboard to test the floor and get a better look-see. This boat is at a local dealer and I would definately get a sea trial before the purchase was finalized.

1994 Sea Ray 220 Signature Select, 454 Merc. big block, 275 hours, fully loaded with dual biminis, wakeboard tower, transom shower, sink, privately owned and also local. Ad says it was stored indoors, and well maintained. Only been used a couple times per year for the last few years. Pics look good on the ad, but haven't had a chance to take a look at it. The seller seems quite proud of this boat, as he has it priced 60% over NADA book value. So we'll see if we can talk some sense into him. Currently our first choice at the moment.

1996 Baja Islander 208, 454, hours unknown, private owner, but is about 3 hours away. Boat was garaged when not used and he says it was regularly maintained. Also a little over the book value, but not nearly as bad as the 220 owner. Boat looks beautiful on the pics in the ad, but will reserve judgement untill I set my eye on it and step foot on it.

And the final candidate....

2000 Reinell 200 L, 5.0L Volvo, 96 Hours on it, this one is also at a dealer about 3 hours away in California and I'm kinda worried that it might have seen some salt water in its past. The pics show the boat in beautiful condition, and as it is a dealer I will get a chance to sea trial it before purchase. Seems very nicely appointed and I really like the lines of these. Only thing I don't really like is that the accent color is beige. Can you get any more boring? LOL! But I think I can overlook that if the rest of it is excellent condition.

All 4 of these will fit our family's needs as it's only the wife and I and the 2 daughters. Getting really excited about getting back on the water and really look forward to the shopping process.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, I look forward to gleaning as much information from you all as I can so any and all input is always welcome, and I'll see you on the water.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another Newb...Introduction.

Ok, so I went today to start the personal inspection process of each of these boats. I looked at the 92 Sea Ray, and looks like I'll have to take that one off the list.

Upon first glance, the boat looks to be pretty nice. The glass and gelcoat look to be in pretty descent shape. Could use a polish and buff, but all in all not too bad. The windshield glass is in good shape and doesn't have any water etching. The size is pretty nice too.

But here's the bad sides of it. The trailer is spotted with rust. Probably not too bad and most likely just surface rust, but still. The vinyl upholstery looks pretty good for its age, but there are some seams that are separating. There are a bunch of wires hanging down from the helm. The nail in the coffin is that while I was looking at the lower unit I noticed that there were a few chunks missing from it. One spot was on the leading edge where you would attach your sacrificial annode as well as the horizontal edge right below it. So this thing has definitely hit something at speed. At this point I just don't want to mess with this. I want a turn key boat, not one that might have a cracked case, or damaged gimbal, or some alignment issue with the motor and drive

So this leaves us a 1994 Sea Ray 220 Signature Select, 1996 Baja 208 Islander, and a 2000 Reinell 200L. I have started emailing the dealership that has the Reinell, as it is 200 miles from me and I want to make sure I have a decent mental picture of what I'm dealing with before I make the drive down to inspect it and lake test it.

So am I missing here? Would you guys have scratched it off the list based on what I found?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to iboats.

you seem to have a good idea of what you want.....all the candidates sound good......the garage kept boat thing is exactaly what you are looking for...the bbc.s will cost money in fuel.. but a few guys like the displacement....even in a 22 footer....
the lower would not have been such a concern with me....but the rot would be....a 20 year old boat might need some work that you dont want to do,

one thing......if the setups are merc.....the out drive must say bravo with a 454......the 350's are fine with alpha...

you might want to start reading in the restoration forum.......it will show you what to look for and how to find what you dont want to see......lol

cheers
oops

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oops. Its true, I kinda know what I want and want to stay away from. Thankfully our budget allows me to be a bit picky. I don't have to settle for a floating nightmare. I realize the fuel consumption issue of the big blocks but I've also stumbled upon a couple threads that tend toward the mindset of a bigger motor with more power wouldn't have to be run as hard so the real world numbers would be closer to the smaller motor running harder. In any case I've taken note of that possibility. That'd why that Reinell is in there with the 5.0 Volvo.

So the dilema is do I go with the Sea Ray that has everything we need and then some, the Baja which is a bit unique and certainly not a "me too" boat but I trade a little of the interior space for the power, performance and speed, or do I just play it safe and right in the middle with the Reinell which fits our needs and nothing more? Decisions decisions...

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the search continues. I went and sent an e-mail to the owner on the Baja to set up a time to go see it as it's in Scottsdale, and I'm in Vegas. Well turns out that the Baja was sold but the guy forgot to take the ad down. So now the two options are the Reinell which seems like a good option but is priced a little high based on the NADA values...oh and it's 200 miles away. The other is the 94 Sea Ray 220 Signature Select which is local, has about 3 times the hours (275 vs 95 on the Reinell) bigger motor (454 vs 5.0) and is loaded to the gills. But this one is overpriced to the tune of about 60% over high NADA. So it may be a bit of a struggle to get him to come down $6500 from his asking price.

Hmmm....so any thoughts or advice? If it was you, which route would you take?

hot carl

Cadet

I am just posting to say hello to another relative newcomer.

I, too, am looking to buy a boat, so happy hunting and I hope you find something that you enjoy and suits your needs.

Cheers

southkogs

Staff member

Dan, welcome aboard ...

I don't know if things would be little different in Vegas because you're not quite as seasonal. 'Round here, this time of year boats over price don't get sold. I'm not saying you don't have a good buy on your hands, but suggesting that prices are effected seasonally in some areas and you can get better deals. I sorta' hate to suggest it because of what a pain it probably is, but can you focus your search a little north and find something a bit cheaper? I'm out in Vegas every year or two (I work in the trade show industry) and understand it's not the easiest place to drive to.