Another Maine Starchief

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry to see you redoing it but it is nice to get all the headaches remedied. One less annoying project to tackle

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What a relief that will be not having a leaky stinky bomb under your feet. That new tank looks a lot like the one I have in my Chief, if you could post up the make and model number for it, I'm sure someone down the road will be happy to have that info. ;)

I hope those who tackle a resto in the future see your thread if nothing else to be sure they test any unknown fuel tank.

BWR1953

Admiral
Yes, please post up the make and model number for the new tank. Thanks! :)

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
It is a Moeller 032534 34 gallon tank. 60.25L x 26.50W x 7.38H Check around for prices as I got mine for $327.29 and $24.95 shipping and I see them for as much as mid $400's elsewhere. Not cheap in any case, but less expensive than my used Craiglist special leaker that I have to throw away. This one is just high enough that I had to move the stringers outboard a bit and add some rib end square tubing for 3/4" more deck height as you will see if you go back a few pages. The filler and gauge end fits behind and under the front edge of the splashwell and a notch in the deck has to be cut for it, but that came right at the back of a four foot section so it worked out nicely.

On the leaking tank, does anyone know if the cross linked polyethylene can be plastic welded? Seems a shame to dispose of the tank as it might be useful for something besides a under deck tank in a boat.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
It's officially "unwrap the boat and fix stuff" season. Glad to see you've got that issue dealt with before the end of mud season.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Glad you got it sorted out oldhaven! you certainly made short-work of the tear-down!

My apologies but I'm going to refrain from recommending fixes for a below-deck poly fuel tank on a public forum :lol:

Watermann

Glad you got it sorted out oldhaven! you certainly made short-work of the tear-down!

My apologies but I'm going to refrain from recommending fixes for a below-deck poly fuel tank on a public forum :lol:

Hey I've seen those threads out in the general forum where guys are asking how they fix such things. One goob told him to run a screw into the hole with some 5200 on it... :eek: :hopelessness:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I had some weather delays but now have the new tank installed and the deck and side panels back in place. I put on the new enclosure and finally put in the woven vinyl carpet I had planned on using last fall before the tank problem. Maybe a bit too stripy, but it's nice on the feet. IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0761.JPG Just a few more things, mostly with the trailer, and I will be ready for the summer. I still have to make some sliding doors for the rear storage area and I need to make some sort of boarding ladder or step inside to help with getting in and out.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice work.

It's good to see the weather improving enough for you to get back to finishing off your Starcraft.

Those lines should help you going on the straight and narrow. ;)

pckeen

Commander
Where did you get the camper canvas, and may I ask what it cost (I'll be looking for a set for a Chief).

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Looks fantastic, Ron. Way to go man, it's not even summer yet and you're ready to go. The canvas looks great and makes the boat 100x more comfortable in all but perfect weather. You've got yourself a great boat.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Chem, your enclosure was the inspiration for this one. It has rained the past several days and no water in the boat, so that was one goal accomplished. I will probably run most of the year with the back off, and in the heat of summer with the side panels down. There are 7 panels, so about a million zippers, including the ones to attach to the tubing frame. Top, 2 sides with windows, front clear panel over windshield, back panel with window, and 2 rear corner panels between the back and sides, where you would normally enter the boat. (or put a rod out).

Peter, the enclosure is a custom, as there is no ready made setup for a boat like a Chief. The best you can do is what I did. Find a local boat canvas person, take some pictures in of what you would like to do, and get an estimate. Repeat several times, weigh references, and then decide what you want to do. And it cost me way too much......expect the estimates to be too low. I know Chem started with a bimnini and added on, and after getting this one done as a custom, I think you would save money doing that rather than have the canvas person make up a frame and fittings. It might not fit quite as well, but that is a lot of labor hours.

Ron

Watermann

Looks really nice all put back together and the enclosure should keep things nice inside when the conditions turn bad... I'm a fair weather boater but like that look.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Looks fantastic OH. Glad you got it all sored out and put back together in time for the boating season.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Ya, the woman who made my canvas said there was no way she could have made the supports and bimini top for the price I paid. I believe that was from ANP Inc (http://catalogue.anp.ca/products/1-Bimini_tops/) and was around $500. For my Chief I got a 5' long top with the zipper package, as I knew I wanted to add on to it later: http://catalogue.anp.ca/products/1-B...uild_your_top/

The other panels, including the rear mooring cover, came to maybe $1500. So, yeah, it's an investment. But it allows you to keep all the wood dry and the interior clean without having to throw a tarp over the boat every time you use it. For me it's 100% worth it. A lot of summer mornings are cold and rough and wet here, and the same goes for Maine.

I have major outboard envy for that Merc. But my loud and smoky '82 started on the first crank this year, so I guess I'm still stuck with it ;)

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oldhaven, I really like your cover! Looks very weather proof! Boat looks great too!;)

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
image_275685.jpg

In mid August we rented a camp on a little island in Moosehead Lake for a week. It was just a mile from Greenville where we put in so it was easy to get into town for shopping and shore time. The Starchief performed great. On the trip when we moved in we had a full boat with 3 adults, two big dogs, 26 gallons of gas, and a weeks worth of food and necessities like beer and wine. The boat popped right up on plane like it wasn't there. We got out on a couple of trips up the lake but mostly stayed in and read and watched the boat traffic and seaplanes flying in and out. we had a couple of big storms and some windy days that kept us in, and we appreciated the new canvas. All in all a very nice trip.

A video of the east side of the island

https://youtu.be/u0ZyvjDQG84

Last edited:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
the Katahdin going by the island to the west. The whole island was only 200 feet long. P1110039.JPG