another impeller replacement question

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice
im replacing the impeller on my alpha 1, now when i took the casing down it didnt have the rubber centrifugal slinger on the shaft, my kit came with one so thats no big deal, but im not so sure its not inside where the shaft goes. it looks like a brass sleeve with a very thin rubber lining on the edge. and it sure wont pull out.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: another impeller replacement question

post a pic, it sounds like your looking at the brass insert for the impeller minus the rubber vanes. the rubber slinger goes on the top of the upper pump housing.

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice

i will try to post a pic tomorrow. it does go over the shaft that comes through the pump housing. the brass deal im talking about is inside the other housing where the shaft slides in.

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice

think i got that problem figured out, but i noticed a piece of metal with a rubbery coating on it behind the prob that seems to be jammed inside. if it is supposed to be there my best guess would be an anode? im gonna try to post a pic of it.20120301123613.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

guessing its whats left of the exaust shutter that was in the Y pipe

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice

is it important? it is jammed in there tight so im pretty sure its not going to dislodge its self. and do i have a y pipe on a 4cylinder?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

is it important?

It is designed to keep water from backing up into the engine through the exhaust ... it would only happen under certain situations. Many boaters go years without the shutter(s) and have no problems. The choice is yours.

do i have a y pipe on a 4cylinder?

No. But you do have an exhaust pipe. "Y pipe" is simply a common way of talking about the exhaust pipe. Inline engines have the single pipe, while the V engines have the Y pipe.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

is it important? it is jammed in there tight so im pretty sure its not going to dislodge its self

if you leave it in there, it will come out on its own eventually, then may get wedged in your prop while under way, or end up somehow damaging the retainer or carrier

you can bend the shutter to get it out of there, or try pushing it back into the cavity and fishing it out

as far as replacing the part, it is fairly simple, just remove the riser and exhaust boot and install a new one

if the swivel pin has fallen down into the exhaust pipe and lodged in there it WILL eventually rub a hole in the pipe

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...if the swivel pin has fallen down into the exhaust pipe and lodged in there it WILL eventually rub a hole in the pipe

And fill the boat with water, usually when you are more than 30 miles out to sea... Don't ask me how I know this... :facepalm: :D

Chris......

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice

ok thanks for the info guys, ill go try to remove it.