Another Grizzly attack" jogger killed."

dolluper

Captain
Re: Another Grizzly attack" jogger killed."

The only tricks I know from being in the bush are to move very slowly back and hope your down wind and aim your rifle Let them make the first move and hope it's the other way It worked once for us and it was scarry I must admit but we tried not to show fear and I mine tried

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is odd that you mentioned don't show fear. This is 1 of the 1st and most important things I ever learned working on a farm and being around animals wild or tame. I live in the Adirondacks and have lived close to this area most of my life, so I am no stranger to thick woods full of surprises. I have been close enough to bears that a shout was enough for them to think twice about comming any closer. The problem we have in tourist areas is that folks come in and say look at the cute bear and then throw food etc.. to get them closer. Then when the bear attacks everyone gets all bent out of shape, who's fault is it really? We have hiking trails, many lakes, rivers etc.. that folks love to use all year round. This is great and can be alot of fun but people should learn that with the wilderness comes wild things. Why should nature have to put up with uneducated a**es that move in and want to change everything, just because they don't understand and don't want too? Who made humans God and gave them the right to say which creature has a right to live? I know many folks that have told me all predators should be killed off because they don't benefit society. I quess I am living in the wrong time, I have a great respect for life and nature. I don't understand the concept of fast food and being obese. I am not a tree hugging hippie but I do believe highly in conservation and that isn't "human convience conservation" but true conservation. How far are we going to go before we realize we are destroying the planet?

mattttt25

Commander

just more proof that running is bad for your health. no worry of bears as i sit on my couch and eat pizza.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Ya know what they call people throwing bears scraps of food;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br />;<br /><br />Dinner!

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> just more proof that running is bad for your health. no worry of bears as i sit on my couch and eat pizza.
Bear Pizza I bet ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Just for information purposes. The jogger that was<br />killed in the attack was with two other joggers.<br />Two of the joggers elected to back slowly away<br />from the bear when confronted. The third jogger<br />elected to clime a near by tree. After the two other<br />joggers had left the area the bear pursued the<br />third jogger, climbed the tree pulled her down and<br />killed her. Then stayed and protected the kill and<br />was still on the kill when the wildlife officer<br />shot and killed the bear.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

People say to scare a black bear away by making noise. I have seen black bear in action, and although much smaller than a Grizzly, it is still bigger than you. They live where I live and occassionally they will come through the yard. Most of the time they take their time passing through. But when they are in a hurry, they will easily run you down.<br /><br />Just don't think they are harmless, because if they think your messing with their baby, you will be torn apart.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nosleep, thanks for the update that makes it more interesting and alittle more understandable{possibly}. The bear may have thought that the person was hurt old etc... and would make an easy dinner.<br /> <br />Mark, good point <br /> <br />Matt & Limit, funny :)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Mark42:<br />I have seen black bear in action...they will easily run you down.
You should see how fast they run after an arrow has pierced their boiler room...Carl Lewis on more steroids than he ever took couldn't outrun one of them :eek: ;) <br /><br />I wonder if the woman that got yanked out of the tree was menstruating. I've read a couple studies on that subject.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gaugeguy;<br /> <br />I know guys that use there other halfs used pads when hunting bucks and they swear by it.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by 20/20:<br /> gaugeguy;<br /> <br />I know guys that use there other halfs used pads when hunting bucks and they swear by it.
I've heard the same thing, I just can't bring myself to do that.<br /><br />I guess there are quite a few studies on bears and the menstruation thing. It makes sense, a bear can smell food over a mile away.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Originally posted by 20/20:<br /> gaugeguy;<br /> <br />I know guys that use there other halfs used pads when hunting bucks and they swear by it.
Good gravey.... Do you know if these fearless<br />hunters have to wear these things. :D

eeboater

Commander

In light of the rising frequency of human-grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.<br /><br />The Alaskan F&G advises that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them.<br /><br />They also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.<br /><br />It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. You should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.<br /><br />Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur.<br /><br />Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smells like pepper

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Holy crap!!!" you guys are making me laugh so hard I can't see straight.<br /> <br />Nosleep; or anyone<br /> <br />Do any of you remember that guy that put the "doe in heat" juice all over himself to see what would happen? A buck damn near riped his head off while his wife recorded the ordeal.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by 20/20:<br />A buck damn near riped his head off while his wife recorded the ordeal.
That buck kicked the snot out of that guy. I still don't know how he didn't get gored.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by 20/20:<br /> Do any of you remember that guy that put the "doe in heat" juice all over himself to see what would happen? A buck damn near riped his head off while his wife recorded the ordeal.
I saw that but had no idea he had put sent on himself. Noisey coffee shop<br />Look at it from the Bucks point of view. <br />He gets one shot each year to find a mate. <br />A little window in time. Proubly been following that sent for a hour or so. <br />When he finds her, it turns out to be another DUDE!<br />If I'd been that Buck, I would have kicked the snot out of him too! :mad: