another floor question

leeklm

Cadet
replacing original floor in my 1983 Lund 17ft Tyee. Seems there are many opinions out there on materials. I decided to use the original 1/2" wood (I picked up BC ext) and seal with resin. The original floor is out, and must say I am impressed with the construction of the boat!

Has anyone used the Evercoat Boat Yard Marine Fiberglass resin that is sold at ACE for about $12/qt? What is the proper technique with this stuff? Can the wood be coated with just the resin & no matting? I plan on putting new OEM type "grass" back in so it matches the rest of the carpet.

Looks like Lund just used 4 pieces of marine grade plywood with nothing else when the boat was built. It lasted 20 years so I assume coating the wood with almost anything will do as good as OEM?

Thanks!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: another floor question

If you can't get marine plywood, your best bet is pressure treated. It won't warp as easily as bc. You'll still, of course, need to seal it and coat with fiberglass. I'm going to be doing a deck repair myself. I'm going to use matting and epoxy over the pressure treaded plywood after sealing it and adding an aluminum diamond plate backing underneath. The backing is for extra holding strength for the pedestal seat at the helm. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. Do some before and after pictures;).
PS: Sorry, don't know anything about the product you asked about, but as far as I know, nothing beats epoxy...

Safe and happy boating always!!!

leeklm

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. My original thought was pressure treat, but have read several articles to stay away from it on aluminum, sounds like the chemicals react with the metal...

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Just found a source for marine plywood:D. Check out the post "boatfloor will it stick" it's just a couple posts down from yours. Sounds like there's a discrepancy between the use of pressure treated and non pressure treated. I'll do some more research.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The new PT eats aluminum. It's possible that the marine PT is the old style which would be fine but I don't think I'd take the chance. I'd go with marine ply or exterior ply if I wanted to save some money. You can coat it with just epoxy resin (I did on mine) but not poly resin. Poly needs glass to have any kind of strength.

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my first gal. of resin was from ace , i wasn't happy with it . its adhesion strength was poor . now i buy from local marine store big differance in quality and 25% cheaper.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

BC exterior ply seal with resin, and I do mean seal (all 4 side and especially the exposed edges). take it one step further let resin cure, sand, then glass over with chopped or mat.

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stay away from PT ply it will cause a reaction with aluminum. When I rebuilt my lund pro v I used marine ply, cut it to fit then epoxied all sides let it dry for several days, than applied carpeting. (see my thread 1988 lund 1700 pro v dlx) Lund boats are built to last if you take care of them.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=317793