Another beloved Starcraft SS16 restoration started...

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice
Good evening and let me introduce you to 'Whipoorwill':

T2eC16JHJFoE9nh6m-9rBQM3iSq5w48_20_zps4f2f6114.jpg

(I hope that pic link works!) She's a '76 and has been well used/loved judging by all the items that have been fastened to her over the years. By the time she's fully restored, I might have to change my name to 'Will' and I will be poor and whipped!:D

I'm figuring my resto will be in stages:
1 - Replace the floor under the consoles and forward (clean, Gluvit and bouyancy foam), renewing the bow interior and consoles as I go. Replace all of the electrics that I've ripped out (apart from the motor being connected to the battery, the controls being hooked up and the Lowrance wiring being snaked under the gunwales, all the switches and lights had become rotten on the backsides). Get the Merc running and the steering fixed. Deadline: summer 2013.
2 - Restore the rest of the interior (take up the rest of the floor - clean, Gluvit, pour in bouyancy foam, add centre ski type storage). Deadline: possibly summer 2014.
3 - Repaint above waterline (maybe next summer)
4 - Repaint below waterline
5 - Replace transom (it's solid as the last owner changed it himself about 5 years ago, I'm just not liking the bare wood!)

The floor up to the consoles was replaced 5 years ago by the guy we bought her from. Apparently the factory floatation foam was not touched. The flooring under the consoles and forward is rotten:

PA050259_zps5c56cce2.jpg

Those are two pieces of varnished 1/4" plywood laid down over the sponginess. I later found they were laid over another piece of plywood that was screwed down and painted blue:

_IGP7213_zpsf605a74a.jpg

So this past week in between rainstorms I was able to start the first part of the resto - dismantling the bow components to replace said floor. I'm impressed with how quickly it came apart (maybe a little concerned too - I will likely be overbuilding as I put it back together). The aluminum pop rivets drilled out easily.

The base of the bow seats has a crush mark on it:

Untitled_zpsced45772.jpg

I'm a little surprised at how little there is in terms of reinforcemet to some of this. The bow seat base for one, but also the flooring. Looking at the pics of other restos, the aluminum underpinnings of the floor stops short of the open bow area. The floor in front of the bracing is just suspended across that space until it's riveted at the very bow (there are two pieces of plywood that fill this gap and they're riveted together below wih a piece of aluminumn:

_IGP7214_zps6b430c87.jpg

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Another beloved Starcraft SS16 restoration started...

Woo hoo - I just made it to Cadet :D!

Since I'm only allowed 6 pics at a time, I'll continue:

Yes! I found a free wrench in there!

_IGP7207_zps2d62faf5.jpg

_IGP7216_zps58da2068.jpg

Drilling out the rivets to take off that forward piece of ply, this is what the factory floatation underneath looked ike:

_IGP7215_zps328dbf21.jpg

So I've read a bunch of threads from people agonizing over floor thickness. I think I'm going to keep it 1/2" so everything still fits, but I'm going to use better bracing underneath - use some aluminum angle and bring that forward to rivet at the bow and use poured floatation foam underneath. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the plywood only forward enough to screw the seat base back down to it, but have anchor storage under the very bow seat (leave the foam out of the center so there's flow back to the bilge).

That's it for now - goodnight!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That SS is an excellent all around rig, well done!

Looking forward to seeing what you put together here.

You can run foam board or noodles down the center line and still have positive drainage eh.:)

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi SuperGrover..here are the pictures of the tops...I have the underside marked
which is Port and which is Starboard & bow/stern direction ...UPS to Canada ...
I found out, is not cheap...I stopped at the UPS Store in Woodbury, MN. with
the two tops...they were weighed and measured and I was quoted a price for
shipping the tops at $27.81 US... if I boxed/packed the items...if UPS did it it would
cost $12.50 US...extra for UPS to do it...the guy I first talked to
at the UPS Store was not sure how to mail to Canada...asked me if the address
you sent me included the zip code...
He also said a value of the item must be given...I said $1.00 hoping that will
keep the shipping cost down..
He also called over another employee to check his work...
looked OK to the other employee..but nether one knew
what taxes, import fees... might be due at your end...:confused::eek:
I have no problem packing the tops myself and saving you the $12.50 if UPS did it..
do you still want them..will you be paying the shipping cost on my end?

Attachments

• 2012 11 16 015 640X480.jpg
    2012 11 16 015 640X480.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012 11 16 016 640X480.jpg
    2012 11 16 016 640X480.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012 11 16 017 640X480.jpg
    2012 11 16 017 640X480.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012 11 16 018 640X480.jpg
    2012 11 16 018 640X480.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012 11 16 019 640X480.jpg
    2012 11 16 019 640X480.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats gonna be a nice fisin' boat for you. Good Luk wih it!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Ahh the SS or Super Sport. Open bow fishing rig. Perfect for those late night walleye runs in the St Clair River. Welcome aboard my over the River bro.

Don

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your PM messages...I can't send a package to Canada without a legal name and phone number..
send it in a Personal Message...:D

Attachments

• 3708.jpg
    3708.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT A RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT A RESIZED.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 2

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

package has been sent ..11/17/2012 ..UPS Store will send it out on Monday..:D

Attachments

• MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 3700.jpg
    3700.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3705.jpg
    3705.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3706.jpg
    3706.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3
  • 2011 09 05 MY BOAT B RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 09 05 MY BOAT B RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 3

sprintst

Commander

Great boat. You got lucking with the styrofoam. Pour in foam would wave required a lot of cursing. Take your time and pull everything without wrecking it so you have good templates if you can and you will be laughing.

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

You can run foam board or noodles down the center line and still have positive drainage eh.:)

Sorry - I'm a little late on replies here in my thread...

Thanks - I came across your videos and lengthy thread on avoiding using pour-in floatation foam after I had spent $100 on some. :redface: That must have been disappointing for you. It seems so easy and it's supposed to be closed cell... Anyway, I think I have an idea that might work to keep it as dry as possible. We'll see when the time comes.

Cheers!

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

Great boat. You got lucking with the styrofoam. Pour in foam would wave required a lot of cursing. Take your time and pull everything without wrecking it so you have good templates if you can and you will be laughing.

Thanks - I'm going to do some measuring before I try to get the floor out. It's just so mushy. I've seen people on here who get good templates from what they take out. I'm not sure I'll be one of them but I'm gonna try...

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

Ahh the SS or Super Sport. Open bow fishing rig. Perfect for those late night walleye runs in the St Clair River. Welcome aboard my over the River bro.

Don

Thanks jbcurt00, a1964rn and BwanaDon too. Just sitting in her (which I sometimes just 'do' when I should be working on her :)) she seems just right. Can't wait to get my family out in her next year to try her on for size...

Don - I've sat in my car numerous summer evening beneath the Bluewater bridges, watching the boats fishing up and down the mouth of Huron. I haven't fished seriously since I was a kid, but with two little ones of my own now it'll be fun to get back to it :D.

Cheers!

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

So progress has been kinda slow over the last few weeks and I haven't had much time to sit down and post to the Forum.

Not that I'm a fairweather sailor necessarily, but I went outside a couple weeks ago and saw this:

150.jpg

I was hoping for a longer stretch to fall. We've had good weather this weekend and I was able to get back to it.

Last weekend a friend and I put up the frame of a tent shelter that will keep her covered over the winter. It's supposed to be 12' wide but, after following the directions to the letter, it measures in at 10'5" or so. A call to ShelterLogic only confirmed that it has to be 12'. I've anchored one side to the pavement and it will strech out a bit. I'm going to loosen bolts to get more play and see if I can make it to 12 and put the canopy on it. It should be a great little house to work on her...

I also had success with getting the steering cable free of the motor's tilt tube. What an ordeal!!:mad: For those who don't know or haven't learned the hard way - unattach it from the motor once a season (minimum) and clean/lube it with oil or light grease. Don't use heavy grease that will dry and gum things up.
It looked like there had been a rubber o-ring at one time that got dry and a little mangled. This got worse and seized so the cable would no longer slide through the tilt tube. I had to put the tube in a vice and hammer on it with a piece of rebar to get it out! amazing! Getting the tilt tube back into the motor mount is going to be just as fun... Grrr!

I took off one of the rear cast aluminum peieces to get a better look at how the deck sheeting goes on:

_IGP7232.jpg

_IGP7233.jpg

I took out the blue vinyl from the bow and console areas. After 35 years they were still glued like stink! Kudos to Starcraft for that one :D! A colour change prompted the removal...

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

This is what we've got at the bow rail:

_IGP7231.jpg

I bought some bullet tips to finish them off but they seem to have walked away. Hmmm...

So, this weekend I got down to business dismantling her some more.

The windshield bolts under the console were rusty and one was bent!

_IGP7241.jpg

I thought this was going to be a nightmare to get off but it wasn't. I just used vicegrips to bend the one bolt back down and it was fine. Nothing too rusty to be seized. Years of working on vehicles has me thinking the worst when I see that. I'm still a little surprised at the lack of SS fittings for this part of the boat though.
So the consoles are two screws away from pulling out, the bow area seatback padding and the windsheild are out:

_IGP7251.jpg

I just ripped the backrests out by hand as the fittings were so corroded they just spun in the plywood:

_IGP7246.jpg

_IGP7249.jpg

I'll be redoing those with stainless steel staples :)

I'll dare to say it out loud - the floor should be easy enough to get working on at this point. Knocking wood here...

That's it for now - goodnight!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Excellent looking progress.........

dozerII

Admiral

Great boat you have SG, and your making some great progress. I have used 5/8"ply for the floors in all of my rebuilds with no fit problems at all. It makes a real difference in how firm the floor is. One of the design problems with the older SS's is the way the side of the consuls are bolted to the gunwals just below the trim edge, this funnels all the water from the windshields and bow cover down onto the floor right behind the rear edge of the consul, hence all the rot in that spot. It is fairly easy to move them up flush and solve the problem.

Last edited:

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

Great boat you have SG, and your making some great progress. I have used 5/8"ply for the floors in all of my rebuilds with no fit problems at all. It makes a real difference in how firm the floor is. One of the design problems with the older SS's is the way the side of the consuls are bolted to the gunwals just below the trim edge, this funnels all the water from the windshields and bow cover down onto the floor right behind the rear edge of the consul, hence all the rot in that spot. It is fairly easy to move them up flush and solve the problem.

Thanks Glen for posting this! You make an EXCELLENT point.

I had read threads that talked about basically having to refit all of the pieces if you use thicker ply, so I had decided to stick with the original. As I mentioned, I've spent some time sitting in the boat pondering things :rolleyes: - I had wondered about the bow cover and how it snaps to the wood console front and how water wouldn't drain well from it. I haven't actually used the boat and seen this first hand, or tried to install the consoles with a thicker floor. I'll go with the 5/8" floor and refit it to drain off properly. I think the floor that had been replaced behind the consoles is thicker anyways - but it's hard to tell with the degeneration of the front piece.

Thanks again! :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks good so far, you've got an excellent Starcraft platform to work with. Looking forward to following along. I found the same thing with a lot of my original fasteners-they weren't rusty, but seemed to not be SS, but some kind of alloy, since they were discolored and some were a little corroded. Everything I replaced, I used SS.