Anode Question

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
I have a question. I have an anode mounted through my fiberglass hull under the gas tank with a ground wire running from the tank to it. Is that a good idea? Makes sense to me to have the tank grounded whenever the boat is in water. Just wondering if I should reconnect to it when I finally get that far. The boat never sees salt water. (600 miles away)

Thanks

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Anode Question

Just wondering if I should reconnect to it when I finally get that far.

Ayuh,... That's your hulls Bonding system...
It's alot like grounding, but it ain't...
Keep it, seein's it's already there...

Ned L

Commander

I bet that is for exactly what you said (grounding) to disapate static electric charges, etc. Quite different than galvanic corrosion protection (what anodes are for). Yes, I would replace it. A gas tank is not a place you want to encourage static electric charges, (and gasoline is good for that when fueling).

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

I bet that is for exactly what you said (grounding) to disapate static electric charges, etc. Quite different than galvanic corrosion protection (what anodes are for). Yes, I would replace it. A gas tank is not a place you want to encourage static electric charges, (and gasoline is good for that when fueling).

Grounding a gas tank is how you keep it from building static. If you remove the strap, there is no way for the ions to leave the tank until the tip of the gas nozzle touches the tank. They then transfer to the pump by making a small spark. This is not likely to occur often, but it can pose a threat.

Keep the strap there. It is there for a reason.