And you wonder why I despise the U.N.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: And you wonder why I despise the U.N.

The only monies the UN will acknowledge in relief are the one donated through the UN. The USA will donate many millions if not billions that the UN will never acknowledge. This is just UN politics as usual. I couldn't care less what they have to say we will do our best and I am proud.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nobody gives money to the USA when we have natural disasters. <br /><br />I am sick of the USA giving away my tax dollars to other contries. Then raise my taxes or remove/reduce what I can deduct.<br /><br /> We are not here to save the world .

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Maybe DJ hit it here......just tell the UN that what we pledged to them will be going to the areas that were affected by the disaster. The UN will have to wait till next year to get their cut....otta' raise some eyebrows.....

rodboltVE

Cadet

hello<br /> what kills me is all the logistics and personnel we have in the region and so far from the international standpoint,remember <i have been in venezuela for a time now, I have seen no red white and blue stars on any equipment. now is presidents >Bush oppertunity to shine yet out of the US continint we here nothing of any aid. and the un will bog down with meetings while people die. the US and Russia are about the only countries with forward based heavy equipment and the materiel and persssonell to move them to an undeveloped or damaged area. lets hope the US gets a chance to shine. the area does not need money money will be like giving a drowning man a glass of water. they need drinking water,sewage,kitchens and many other basics. an aircraft carrier can manufacture close to.5 million gallons of fresh water a day a destroyer can make 15 to 30 thousand gallons a day. why have I not seen any US equipment on the ground?<br /> is it there and just not shown on the international news or are they haveing meetings while people die>?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I read that there were 2 carriers there now with hospitals and supplies onboard.

Laddies

Banned

The US made a blunder in the 1960 when Red China wanted a seat in the UN, opposing it we should have given them one, OURS it would have saved us millions of dollars and alot of young men.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am sick of the USA giving away my tax dollars to other contries. Then raise my taxes or remove/reduce what I can deduct.<br /><br />We are not here to save the world .<br /><br />
69000 people confirmed dead, people now starving and you dont want to help. Im shocked so far your government has pledged 5 cents per head, was that too much to help people who are dying. To put that into perspective UK has contributed $60 million dollars from only 53 million people so far, so its not just your country that has to do everything. Everyday your country stays in Iraq it cost you 25 cents for every man wouman and child why not come out one day early and do some good with the change?. As of April 4 2004 every man woman and child if they all paid tax would have paid $640 towards fighting in Iraq. Remember as well that 4% of Americans pay 50% of the tax so you if your not one of the top 4% paid are actually paying very very little Im sure if you looked down the back of the sofa you would find 2.5 cents you could spare. <br /><br />Where are all the Christians , Soulwinner , 12footer , Spratt surly you guys want to help your fellow man?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

US has just doubled its donation to $35 million. So thank God not all people feel 5 cents was too much

PW2

Commander

It's going to take $35 million at least to rebuild the Nike factories that pay the local kids 50 cents a day to produce the sneakers we all know we need here in America.<br /><br />It's money well spent.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Rudderman:<br /> Actually, I noticed that myself even before the UN said anything.<br /><br />For example....Ireland has a population of 4 million people. Our government is giving 1.3 million dollars.<br /><br />USA...population of 293 milion people. If you work out the maths, for the USA to give the equivalent funds as Ireland have, they should have given $95 million dollars instead of the alleged "stingy" $15 million.<br /><br />You have to admit that it does look a bit stingy on the surface!
Kiss this! If you would bother to look further than the end of your snotty little nose, you would already know the USA takes the lead in virtually EVERY relief effort in the world. If YOU "do the math" YOU will discover that the $1.3M your government is sending wouldn't amount to what the US shakes off before zipping up our trousers. We didn't ask to be in this position so stop all of your jealous bytching.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Professor,<br /><br />I don't see any reason why you are being so rude. <br />I won't stoop to your level of name-calling.<br /><br />Suffice to say that my original post was based on simple mathematics. On a "head-count" basis, other poorer countries are giving more aid to the current tragedy than the USA is. <br /><br />Sure, €35 million looks good compared to €1.3 million, but my point was based on the "per-citizen" generosity.<br /><br />I think there is a responsibility on all rich countries to help these people who can't afford to help themselves. I think ALL countries are being stingy actually. 30 or 40 cents per person is pretty pathetic.

gaugeguy

Captain

I saw on Fox last night that France has only donated 136,000...how come nobody is busting their nads? I guess America-bashing is the accepted PC thing to do. Perhaps these UN thieves should donate some of the money they pocketed from the oil for food deal :mad:

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a great example of statistics lie. Who cares how much per citizen is given? It is meaningless and government giving doesn't measure per citizen generousity. If we want to look at per-citizen generosity, forget about the govenment numbers. Look at the private donations and charities rushing to provide aid.<br /><br />The main point is to get the aid and supplies to those who need it as quickly as possible. If you want to make this about politics BOTH The Professor and Rudderman are missing the point.

aspeck

Staff member

Chuck, you are absolutely correct. This is not about politics, or who gave more. Oh boy, I am better than you because I gave more ... Sheesh, give me a break.<br /><br />This is about helping fellow man, who is in need! The River, thanks for donating to the Red Cross to help in the relief efforts. Others that are giving to religious and humanitarian organizations to help, thank-you!<br /><br />What really needs to happen is for someone to come to the front and coordinate the relief efforts so the money and aid get to the right places. Unfortunately, in the political climate we live, there are too many people look at which country are muslim, what are the politics, etc. Which is a shame. Bottom line, they are people, and the injured need relief, the families of the dead need relief, they need food, water, shelter, etc.<br /><br />Can't we all get along, AND HELP?

KaGee

Admiral

Now after the chit has hit the fan, Jan Egeland is saying he was "mis-quoted". Ya right! Mis-quoted my big fat behind! Just another prime example of the elitist attitude a lot of Euros have towards America.<br /><br />Rudderman...<br />The people of America go over and beyond their "fair" share of giving to the rest of the world. What other countries have "Foriegn Aid" (AKA - WELFARE) as a line item in their budgets? But beyond that, you miss the point, and I don't blame you for it... Americans are rapidly becoming fed-up with the UN. We provide most of it's economic support. We are the teeth behind any military venture of "peace keeping". We have grown tired of the face slapping and back-stabbing of America that comes out of that place. And for one of it's Bureaucrats to have the nerve to accuse us of being "Stingy"??? <br /> :mad:

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Listening to Bush speak on CNN just now may prove to be one of the most important coups of his presidency in the fight against terrorism. By taking a (global?) leadership role in providing aid to this devastated part of the world partially inhabited by Muslims, this really could be paramount.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

For those of you who believe I am out of line, consider this: any time a world crisis develops, the USA takes the lead in resolving the issue and rushing aid to the victims. In the meantime, the Rudderman's of the world can't wait to jump on our backs and accuse the US of having short arms and deep pockets. That was the entire content of my comment, albeit stated in a less than friendly manner. I also did not stoop to name calling as Rudderman accuses.<br /><br />As to the other comments about my missing the point, don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Just because I don't feel the need to post my contributions on this forum doesn't mean my family hasn't already done something about it. <br /><br />So you can go "name-calling" somewhere else while my AMERICAN family minds our own house. We will remove the plank from our eye while the rest of you look for a speck in your own.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Some people seem to have forgotten that the USA is fighting a war right now. We are a bit cash strapped, so now is the time for the other countries of the world to pick up some of the slack.<br /><br />If that offends people, tough.<br /><br />And finally, lets not count the donated money until it is all over. Then we can hand out the critisim.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> Some people seem to have forgotten that the USA is fighting a war right now. We are a bit cash strapped, so now is the time for the other countries of the world to pick up some of the slack.<br />
I was wondering this morning Ken, where are all the whiners..... "How we gonna pay for that"?? That's all they are concerned about when it come to Iraq Yet when all is said and done, this disaster is far an away going to be more costly than anything in recent history.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> ...this devastated part of the world partially inhabited by Muslims...
Make that largely populated by Muslims. Which is why I favor letting the Muslim world take on the burden of financial responsibility. They are afloat in oil money.