and the winner is.........**** Durbin

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
For a liberal politician pretending to be contrite, while speaking out of both sides of his mouth, this years award goes to the disgusting - distiguished senator from Illinois.<br /><br />Is there anyone who will ask for censure or removal of this babbling dung heap and once and for all make all politicians, regardless of political stripe, accountable for their rhetoric. Are there any liberals who will acknoledge that freedom of speech is not a shield for treason? Is it possible that an action of courage can make underminding the armed forces for political gain an unpaletable tactic? <br /><br />What this idiot did is tatamont to screaming fire in a crowded theater. But worse. Can we not agree that leveraging the saftey of our armed forces, citizens abroad, and the integrity of nation for political will be gounds for removal? There are those who thought that Trent Lott was too far over the edge with his comments about Strom Thurman and had him removed. The gravity of the two issues cannot be compared.<br /><br />Regardless of his god bless the troops post script, Durbin likened our troops to Nazi SS troops, and mindless murderers in the Komea Rouge (POL POT). He cannot separate the statements he made from the armed forces and then claim to mean he was putting it on Bush or Rumsfeld. Bush and Rumsfeld are not guards at gitmo. The guards in germany were not allowed to claim they were only following orders. Durbin, without any first hand knowledge was willing to serve up our countries reputation for headlines. He was willing to put our soldiers in harms way for his political benefit. And anyone, regardless of party affiliation, who accepts what Durbin said as protected speech, has no true appreciation of the spirit of the ammendment.<br /><br />This political hack should be made to pay for his stupidity and treason. And that should be the real story behind the treatment of prisoners at gitmo.<br /><br />My humble opinion only.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: and the winner is.........**** Durbin

Gee, there were threads here during the elections that refered to liberals as Brown Shirts, Now the shoes on the other foot and now it's stuipity and treason. Sounds like double standards to me.

Twidget

Commander

censure might not be the best route, dont they remove what is said after a censure?<br /><br />Hopefully, the people of Illinois will remove this idiot next election. Daly has him on his bad list, he is probably in more than political trouble. :)

Skinnywater

Commander

Gee, there were threads here during the elections that refered to liberals as Brown Shirts, Now the shoes on the other foot and now it's stuipity and treason. Sounds like double standards to me.<br />
:D :D No double standard at all. The liberals are just as disgusting as they always were.<br />What Pointer has voiced is what Durban and his followers believe and publicly voice (especially in Durbans position, forum and time of war) is sedicious and treasonous. <br />However, I'm prepared to be more compassionate and make an exception for him. Since Durbans's comments are so rediculous in his comparisons, instead of censure, he should be persuaded to resign because of illness and contact the nearest Mental Health facility immediately.

Realgun

Commander

Durbin- noun. Person who has no known usefullness ie: Senator specifically Democrat.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It will make no difference, here in Illinois, where some here refer to him as, “Turbin”. <br /><br />Illinois is a Blue State, because of Chicago and its suburbs, and that isn’t going to change any time soon. But it will be interesting to see what ultimately happens with this little two-faced wiener. I’m thinking he must be somewhat disjointed and pulsed over the backlash, but I am also certain that he is surprised as well. Times are changing, and it seems that the Senators who can slide for 6 years are the last ones to “get it”. I’m not going to put any stock in Turbin’s loosing any election, though. Chicago and the ‘burbs put him in there.

PW2

Commander

Leave it to the right to try to distract us and take something completely irrelevant and try to make it the issue. Who cares what Durbin said, and whether or not he made a somewhat unfortunate comparison.<br /><br />The question remains what the heck are we doing down there at Gitmo? Are we going to charge them with crimes or what? <br /><br />Charge them, present evidence, let them present their own evidence, convict them if appropriate, and put them away.<br /><br />We are supposed to be different. We have the rule of law. Even the defendants at Nuremburg knew what charges were facing them, and were able to defend themselves. They were not summarily executed, even though that was probably the popular sentiment.<br /><br />But to hold them in perpetuity without any charges being advanced, or any opportunity to defend themselves, is not what America is supposed to be about. Let's let a little transparency in this, and if they are "evil people" as we are told, fine. We ought to be able to prove it, and if we prove it, let's put them away, legally...and permanently, if appropriate. <br /><br />What is currently happening is straight out of a Franz Kafka novel. America is supposed to different from that.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Leave it to the right to try to distract us and take something completely irrelevant and try to make it the issue. Who cares what Durbin said, and whether or not he made a somewhat unfortunate comparison.<br />
Kinda like Trent Lott's comments at Strom Thurmond's birthday party, the left didn't touch that one at all, isn't that right?? If a Republican had made the same remarks as Durbin, there would be serious hell to pay from the left, don't kid yourself.

oddjob

Commander

I say ...let the Representative Talk. I wish more and more libs would tell us how they really feel.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

PW2, if these people had been arrested on American soil robbing banks, then they should get a trial. But these people were captured in war. There were German POWs held in the continental United States during WW2, and were held indefinitely without being charged for a "crime."<br /><br />All this nonsense is being raised by the left for political gain, and nothing else. I don't blame anyone for trying to get their way politically, but this is beyond the limits and shameless and comes awfully close to TREASON.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

PW2

Commander

Let's do dueling stupid comments from politicians if you want.<br /><br />I'll concede Durbins was a stupid comment if you'll concede that Porter Goss saying he has an excellent idea where Osama is is also stupid. How about sharing that info to someone in the military that has a rifle, Porter?<br /><br />Or how 'bout Cheney saying the insurgency in Iraq is in its last throes. Does anyone really believe that? Sounds to me like Cheney and the whole administration has the same grasp on reality as Baghdad Bob had.<br /><br />And a comparison to the POW camps here during WW II is equally silly. We had every intention, post war, of releasing those prisoners then, and we clearly don't now. And the "war on terror" is a war without a beginning and without an end. Since the days of Julius Caesar, there have been terrorists, and there will always be terrorists of some sort.<br /><br />I ask again. What the heck are we doing down there, and what the heck are we going to do with these detainees?

NYMINUTE

Captain

There is no shortage to stupidity in our political scheme.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Let's do dueling stupid comments from politicians if you want.<br /><br />I'll concede Durbins was a stupid comment if you'll concede that Porter Goss saying he has an excellent idea where Osama is is also stupid.
I concede, Goss doesn't know where his own office is, let alone Osama ;)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Democrat and Republican politicians, whats the difference? one tax and spend the other borrows and spend, they all have better health care coverage than you and i, and which i might add, you and i are the suckers that pay their bills, Ha! What a bunch of self serving blow hards, I wonder how many of their sons and daughters are serving in Iraq?

Skinnywater

Commander

PW, those detainees knew exactly what the charge was the instant they had a muzzle of a M16 at the back of their heads.<br />You forget they don't have uniforms, rules of war, or any desire to acknowledge any part of the Geneva convention. They beat women over dress codes and stone them to death without trial.<br /> <br />
We are supposed to be different. We have the rule of law.
We are, you just refuse to beleive it.<br />Three squares and their religious needs provided.<br />None have been murdered. Two hundred already released and returned. (Twelve of those released were recaptured on the battlefield shooting at us again.)<br />We're such a far cry from the Nazi SS, Goulogs, and Pol Pot that the comparison is alien.<br />The fact that this country goes out of it's way to conduct war humanely as possible and provide prisoners with prayer rugs and handle their sacred book with white gloves. <br />I just don't understand what we're doing so wrong PW.<br /> <br />
Let's do dueling stupid comments from politicians if you want.<br />
I agree, it doesn't make sense to play that game. There's an ample supply of stupidity from both political partys.<br /><br />And here PW, let me prove a point to you.<br />Under the circumstances we went to war in Iraq. The complete lack of evidence and the way in which it was sold the the citizens and the on-going propaganda in defense to the action in Iraq. I personally believe it was wrong, a mistake and against our founders principals.<br />However, I'm not prepared to undermine this country and its legitamate actions against a our enemys during a time of war. I detest any that would.<br />Even if the mistakes were 10 fold. Why would it be in yours, mine, our best interest to be brought to our knees?<br />It would only serve our enemys interests.<br />Why don't you and your side get this?<br /><br />The perspective is simple enough.<br />Your contempt for a government that makes it policy to protect innocent life during warfare. <br />Yet so much concern for a band of bullys that make it policy to destroy the innocent.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Hey skinnywater, check out the link below. There have been murders according the the U.S. military.<br /><br /> CBC News

Skinnywater

Commander

I didn't read where there were any from Gitmo.<br />From your link I read there were investigations that led to arrests. Arrests that led to convictions. Convictions that led to punishment.<br /><br />According to your link this was a time period of two years, involved two countrys. Two countrys at war with hundreds of thousands armed men.<br />Thirteen and one half (13.5) murders a year. <br />Isn't that the Murder rate of....what...Redding, California....Tallahassee??<br />Am I supposed to find a comparison here that we're the SS, Pol Pot? :confused: <br /><br />Dang Scott, I feel like I'm being corrected for spelling or something.<br />OK, I feel sorry for the murders you've pointed out...really. And I'm sorry again, I just don't feel outraged.<br /><br />At the end of WW2 we dropped a couple of atomic bombs on two Japanese citys. It was 2,000 degrees in the shade and it toasted innocent men, women and children. It was justified back then by our citizens, our government, military, and the rest of the whole wide world. It was justified because it saved millions that were surely to die in the eventual invasion upon Japan.<br />Here in Gitmo it's possible, and it's only a guess, a handful of bad (not innocent)enemy combatants may have been tortured to save millions if not more, innocent people.<br />I'm actually relieved this tactic may be being used instead of a couple nuclear armed Tomahawks. :eek: <br /><br />I know compassion is a good thing. But without common-sense it'll have you in bed with Charles Manson....or Pol Pot...Bin Laden...

TilliamWe

Banned

I can proudly say that I have never voted for Richard Durbin for senator. Nor will I. Just hope the folks in Chicago will do the same.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Skinnywater, I didn't mean to offend, but false statements are what got us in this mess in the first place. I'm sure the Administration would have loved to have known that they were flat-out wrong about so many things they claimed they knew for sure before they sent us to war(yeah right). <br /><br />Either way, it is important to know the facts, because otherwise you end up with "bad intelligence". And nobody wants that.<br /><br />And I never voted for Durbin either.

PW2

Commander

I really don't understand your argument at all, Skinny.<br /><br />If they did what you say they did, that's fine. We ought to be able to prove it somehow, and then let's put them in a prison somewhere, in Afghanistan or wherever.<br /><br />Gitmo is supposed to be a detention center and an interrogation center, not a prison. Surely we have got out of these guys all the intelligence they have after three years.<br /><br />Seems to me we really have three choices:<br /><br />1. Release them <br />2. Shoot them<br />3. put them in prison somewhere<br /><br />And yet another irrelevant piece of information is how we treat them and feed them. We are denying them their freedom. It makes no difference whether we are feeding them lobster and caviar, or gruel. Or kiss their holy book or flush it down a toilet. We are denying them their freedom, and either we have a reason for that or we don't. Which is it? And why, pray tell, if we have a reason, can't we provide them with what that reason is? <br /><br />Look, I am all for sending them to prison, if they are in fact, evil people that have done evil things. I do get nervous when the government cannot for whatever reason provide specific information.<br /><br />If it somehow a case of national security, explain to us why.<br /><br />And I do get *TIRED* of the notion that criticising our government in a democracy is somehow wrong or treasonous somehow. It is the solemn duty of every citizen to speak up and question the government's actions when we think they are, or might be, wrong. That is how a democracy is supposed to work. The government should be confident enough in their own policies to defend them.<br /><br />And we ought to reconsider trying to export democracy all over the globe if we are not comfortable with how one is supposed to work.