Anchor Choice help 2.5m inflatable please

yamzy

Cadet
Hi do not know much about anchors really, trying to get the right one for my rib so i can stop and fish in places etc.

My dinghy is 2.5m and has a 4hp engine, it will have 2 people in it with a combined weight of about 25 stone inc equipment.

it will be used in a river that starts with a muddy sloppy bottom, but also further down is gravel, rocks and weed.

also the flow of the river isnt huge but can be a bit pacey in places but nothing major.

I would appreciate some help advice on the type of anchor and weight etc that could hold bottom thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anchor Choice help 2.5m inflatable please

Any model you pick, place at least 1 meter long stainless steel chain between anchor and rope. Different anchor shapes are for different bottoms, so choose the right one for your particular boating needs.

Happy Boating

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

i found a folding grapple tupe anchor that holds my 12 footer in swift water, dont forget the chain from the anchor to the rope. it helps the anchor settle into the bottom, dont ask me how

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

The tests and reviews for fortress/guardian anchors are very impressive.

I bought a guardian for my 14 footer and am happy with it. I started with a cheap folding grapnell like so many small boats carry. It was useless.

I did a bunch or research on anchors. I wrote some info on anchors on my site http://www.my-inflatable-boat.com/boat-anchors.html if you are interested.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I have a baby danforth for mine. It's a small 6? lb danforth type, and it holds my 9 ft quite well.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a 3.5LB with 6 feet chain for 11' in a river with about 3mph current no problem.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like mushroom anchors (easy to handle, no sharp edges, etc) for inflatables for mild current, but for swift current a heavier danforth type is better.