American owned!

FLATHEAD

Captain
For the last couple of weeks I have tried to patronize only American owned business's. It has been nearly impossible. I am sick and tired of going into a store or gas station or whatever and the clerk can hardly speak any English. <br /><br />The straw that broke the Camel's back for me was when I went into a gas station to pay and there was about five middle easterners in there talking in there native tongue. They look at you and speak to each other and snicker. I HAVE HAD IT!!! I now go five miles out of my way to get a cup of coffee and a paper in the morning, I pay more for gas but it is worth it for me. From now on I will walk out of a business if it is not American owned. <br /><br />Call me racist if you will, but I am fed up with the disrespect given by these people that are not even citizens of this country. <br /><br />This problem is growing here on the east coast. Don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but I am done supporting these foreigners.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: American owned!

Hi flahthead,<br />I understand your frustration, I live in a city where over 50% of the population is now Asian. With all the other ethnic groups, I'm a huge minority. I'm secure with that, but their integration into our society would be nice.<br />I was curious about your comment about them "not even being citizens of this country". Whats that about? Many immigrants unfortunately never assimilate into mainstream society. I don't agree or support it, but they are citizens none the less...<br />Perhaps it was a figure of speach?

FLATHEAD

Captain

No Toad I am saying they are NOT citizens of this country, how could they be if they can not even speak English?? Yes they may be prospering here, but they are doing it with a green card at best. I would be willing to bet most don't even have that.

tylerin

Commander

I hear you Flathead. Due to my inability to say anything civil on the subject I'm forced to bite my tongue :mad:

Stratosfied

Ensign

Toad, just because you are here does not make you a citizen. I have no idea about the way the Canadian Gov't "accepts"(for want of a better word), but there are various steps in place in America for immigrants to achieve citizenship. For the most part, the illegals,(not so much unlike the illegal guns which seem to fascinate you), receive the most of the press, along with a tremendous burden on the taxpayers of this country. The bleeding hearts will cry that they need to be accepted, and somewhat I agree, but along with Flahthead, I think that if you are going to do business here and recover all of the benefits of our prosperity, then you should have the common courtesy to speak the language. The burden should not be on "Joe America" to provide a place for them to live, healthcare, education, and job training benefits, just for them to fit in. IMHO, the worst thing that the US has ever done is the effort to rebuild Japan after WWII. They started it, we finished it, now we had to rebuild them??? Give me a break.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with you Stratosfield as well as Flahthead. All I wondered about, and still do was how one can conclude that they weren't citizens. People can be bilingual or even multilingual and go on speaking languages other than English long after they have moved to the States and have become citizens. I strongly oppose it, but it happens.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I agree, Flathead.<br /><br />I got in trouble at my place of work for fliping out in three spanish co-workers a few mounths ago.<br /><br />Their where four is us in a elevator, I was the only one who didn't speak spanish. They three of them are yaping away in spanish. I didn't say a word, although it was anoying me. Then in the middle of all their giberish, I hear my "Ryan" the (EDIT: forbidden insult deleted) where talking (EDIT) about be right in frount of me, I didn't even know it because I don't speak spanish. :mad: :mad: <br /><br />I don't consider myself raceist, but I have never met a spanish person that I like, not even one. <br /><br />It should be againts the law to speak a non-american launguage in this country in a public place. If you are going to live in america learn how to talk first!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I hear ya Flahthead... I know it's bad here... <br /><br />Legal, illegal, I don't care... Speak english... <br /><br /> The one's who at least make the effort and try to learn and speak english don't bother me.. I respect them for trying, even if they can't, at least they try... It's the one's who have been here for years that don't try, or those who can speak english just fine, but instead speak in their native dialects, that ticks me off...<br /><br />Can't tell ya'll how many times i've been in the grocery store and have the cashier count change back to me in spanish... Even happend once at the bank... It usually ends up with me saying "WTF? what country do you think this is?" followed by the trip to the office to see the manager and ask him/her the same question...<br /><br />Think I'll retire down to cuba, drive around in a great big ol' 4X4, blasting Hank Jr. songs at full volume all day and night, and most importantly speak english VERY LOUDLY, just to pi$$ off the locals... US currency is good there... Wonder if Fidel Castro would be my bud? :confused: :p

Stratosfied

Ensign

Once in a while the newspapers used to show a picture of the immigrants who had just been sworn in as US Citizens. Each person would have a million dollar smile. I would imagine that they would be proud, not only to be an American, but to speak the language, whatever the vernacular applies, as well.,Ya'll hear! :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How does hiring immigrants, who are the only ones who will work for peanuts, make a business not American owned??<br /><br />Several of you have described rude behavior, for sure, but it certainly isn't reserved to immigrants. I see a lot more rudeness to immigrants than from them.<br /><br />This country was built, and is still being built, by immigrants, many of whom came here unable to speak English.<br /><br />This knee-jerk hostile reaction to anyone who is different from us is normal and human, but it is still an embarrassment to tolerant people.<br /><br />If you can't muster the class to treat others with tolerance and courtesy, please don't complain if you reap what you sow.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I don't think JB gets out much.... :D j/k JB...<br /><br /><br />JB.. I'm glad you see more rudeness toward immigrants than from.. Tells me you probably live in a nice place thats not being over run... That makes me happy for you.. :) Please feel free to come back and tell me all about tollerance and courtesy after you've spent 30+ years in a place that was nice once upon a time, but now, due to no fault of your own, you're disgusted by a few groups of trashy people who have absolutely no courtesy toward you or the "American Way".... Around these parts, a fella could just about get away with murder if he "no habla english"... <br /><br />I've thought about packing it up and getting out of here more times than I can count, but I keep telling myself that if I did pack it in and leave this place I love, they win by default... Dammit! That ain't going to happen...<br /><br />Now ya know why I'm grouchy.. :p <br /><br /> I do try very hard, but tolerance and courtesy works both ways...

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

I hear ya snapperbait.<br /><br />Consider this, and hopefully this won't be misconstrued, imagine how Native Americans must have felt/feel...

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Good subject.<br />I changed countries 16yrs back from New Zealande: now a citizen of Australia. Still have the flat Kiwi accent. Get a lot of stick from the Aussies. <br /> I look and dress the same, live in the same street among them, kids go to school with theirs, marry theirs, over the yrs probably employed 15-20 of them: and I don't give a sh*t. The opportunities are endless (they can't see it), and I have never had it so good. Mind you, I believe the harder you work the luckier you get. <br />Other migrants arrive, speak their own lingo, all live in the same suburb, got different religions and dress, refuse to mix with the natives, frown apon marrying outside their own, and nobody gives them any stick. They have rights and they know it.<br />I believe in: "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and there are peoples from maybe 3-4 different countries who refuse to do that.<br />Guess the situation is similar all over the world.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I left the UK four years ago to live and work in New Zealand. At that time I made a concious decision to not be an expat. We worked, saved hard and , got a bit lucky , bought the house and did the citizenship thing. I have every admiration for those who want to be part of , and contribute to, the comunity they live in.<br />The irony is that as a "non-native" and an employer I get so pissed about people who beleive that their situation is hopeless and that the state will take care of them. Become an emigrant and its funny how your views change.

FSHKPR

Ensign

not racist? but you call them spics and never met one you liked? :confused:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello JB.<br />I think I like you more every day.<br />It is nice to have a rational voice on this forum.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I agree. These people need to learn to speak our language "english". I'm all over the D/FW area doing work in the buisnesses, and it amazing how many of these people can't cumunicate with me. Well, they know enough english to tell me what problems there having, but then after I finish my job and present them with a bill all I hear is "O me don't understand". <br /> Another incident this guy was so proud that he was going for his US citizenship, and we got into an argument because he said there were 52 states. I did set him straight on this.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy Carp Batman....wow<br /><br />I grew up in South America, moving to Peru when I was 1-2 years old. I spoke better spanish than english when we moved back to the States in 1964.<br />I had to repeat the first grade, I didnt know two plus two was four, I did know dos e' dos son' quatro. <br />I was a toe-head, blond hair that looked white.<br />I remember the strange looks I got when we returned to the States speaking spanish.<br />I remember telling my mother, "We can speak english now were in America". <br />This country was built on the diversity of the immigrants that populated it in the 1800's. Study your early American History.<br /><br />I have a friend, "Chan", who is from India. He is married to a woman from Venezuela. When Chan came to the States from India he had no money, and stayed with some distant relatives in New Jersey. He worked various jobs, sometimes 2 jobs at the same time, working 16 hour days or longer.<br />He migrated to Florida.<br />He developed a business savy that enabled him to eventually open his own store. We called it "Chanron". He worked hard long days, he invested in real estate and other stores. <br />Chan still works 6 days a week, 12-16 hour days.<br />He plays golf on the weekends. He talks like he grew up here, even calls himself a redneck. He owns a nice home, drives a new camaro, wife drives a new mini-van. <br />Chan is testimony that hard work does pay off.<br />Oh, he is also a naturalized citizen. :) <br /><br />Do I like every person I meet, no.....<br />Am I opened minded and realize there are other cultures in the world, yes......<br /><br />Look at the stigma placed on anyone of middle-eastern decent now adays. Imagine you were of japanese ancestory right after Pearl Harbor, the forced imprisonment.<br /><br />Like Snapperbait says, South Florida is mostly spanish heritage now. Its tough living in South Florida and being non-spanish speaking. Wisconsin has German and Polish enclaves that are from the 1800's. Other parts of the country can trace their ancestory and culture to the immigrants that settled there after the voyage across the seas.<br /><br />We live in a diverse world connected by this thing called the Internet, you know, the one Al Gore invented. :) <br /><br />Ryan, for all you know those dudes may have been saying they wished you talked spanish or something. What stopped you from asking them what were they talking about? "Hey dudes, I heard my name, can I help you with something"?<br />Every encounter with a non-english speaking person as a primary language has to be a hostile encounter. <br /><br />Its a brave new world folks, I feel its better to develop an open mind about cultures other than the one you are familier with, then form the individual prejudices about individuals you encounter. <br /><br />To do otherwise, and form blanket prejudices of other peoples, cultures, religons, is racism. :confused:

FLATHEAD

Captain

I knew I would be labeled an intolerant racist with this post. Not true. Knee jerk reaction? Not hardly. I am one of the most tolerant people you will ever meet, trust me on that one. If you were here and had to put up with what I do on a daily basis you would agree with me wholeheartedly. <br /><br />I would estimate that 90% of these business I am talking about are not American Owned. It is quite obvious when you go there the hatred they harbor for Americans. Sorry fellas I don't have to put up with this. I have "tolerated" it long enough. <br /><br />I well understand that our ancestors all immigrated. They also worked hard and showed respect to the people of the country where they wanted to live. Lets face it our ancestors immigrated decades ago, it is a non factor in this day and age. It has turned a complete 180 degrees over the years. These people think the USA owes them and they use it to there full advantage. The are by far the most ignorant people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. It is wide spread too, not just a pocket of it here and there.<br /><br />They own their hotels and 7-11's, and gas stations, dollar stores, ETC. They live 5 families to a house so they can send the money home, how is this contributing to this country?? I would like those that think all is hunky dory explain it to me. A good majority treat their women as nothing more than a second class citizen,Slaves, outright abuse in a lot of cases, please tell me again how this is adapting to our society in this country, <br /><br />If you wish to spend your money at these places while the proprietor thumbs his nose at the good ole USA, and Americans in general, that is your choice, after all they need people like you to keep the chain going.