Aluminum Boat Restoration

D

DJ

For those of you restoring aluminum boats, I thought I would resurface this old thread.<br /><br />This is a boat I completed in '03' and sold.<br /><br />1983 Sea Nymph-FS 165<br />1983 Evinrude 90 w/Trim and Tilt<br />1983 Shoreland'r Trailer<br /><br />Boat and trailer were completely restored. New EVERYTHING!<br /><br />Engine received: Water pump, carb. kits, plugs, fuel pump kit, lower unit service, decarb, hoses, rectifier, paint and decals.<br /><br /> http://mypeoplepc.com/members/djohns19/djohns19/

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Aluminum Boat Restoration

DJ - I remember your boat from when I first joined iboats, you did a great job in the restoration. I have a similar restoration job in name only. My boat is a '79 Sea Nymph Bigwater 16. It's about 16.5' long and started life looking similar to your exterior hull without the rub rails and spray rail. I bought it at a dealer auction about 5 years ago and 3 years ago I removed all of the wood (transom, decks, console, and floor) and dug out 250 lbs of saturated floatation foam. I reconfigured the interior to suit my fishing style. I usually fish for catfish in the Ohio River.<br /><br />The exterior had been banged up pretty bad and had a couple of punctures and a bunch of leaky rivets. It's never had paint on the exterior so I didn't bother to paint it. I figured a coat of paint couldn't cover up 20 years of abuse. The paint wasn't going to hide the dents or repairs.<br /><br />The manufacturer's inspection plate has disappeared through the years so I have no idea what the max. hp rating is. The boat runs about 30 mph with the '77 50hp Mercury on it. Your boat must have screamed with a 90 on it. Was your boat actually rated for that much hp or did someone fudge it a little when they hung that motor?<br /><br />I'd like to get a bigger motor someday and I'm not concerned with the 'motor police'. From looking at a similar hull with a rating of 70 hp I figured a 70 or 75 hp would be a good fit on my boat. A 90 would be more fun as long as the boat still handled well. I'll have to do some research to compare motor weights.<br /><br />My other project boat has an old 135 Mercury inline 6 on it. When I get the motor running maybe I'll test it on the Sea Nymph. Yee haw!!!

IBrokeMyFreakinNeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dang DJ!<br /><br />You did an amazing job, that boat looks great! Take care.<br /><br />William

D

DJ

Ken G,<br /><br />Yes, the boat was originally rated for a 90. The "plate" was barely legible (Arizona sun).<br />I'll bet that the hull is the same as yours. In my findings, AL hulls vary little. It's expensive to change tooling.<br /><br />As I understand it, this boat was created as sort of a family bass boat. The power rating was "generous" in my opinion, yet the hull handled it nicely. It was a bit of a hottie, with the 90. Mid to high 40's-easy, depending on load.<br /><br />The boat I pictured was bought new in Iowa and dragged to AZ in the early eighties. It then sat until I bought it in 2001. <br /><br />I too, had to replace all of the wood, transom included. It was a fun project. <br /><br />I did a rivet leak check by filling the hull with water. I only found one leaker. I fixed that and any potential problems by coating each rivet head, from the inside, with Gluv It. That product has NEVER let me down.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you strip all the paint off or go over the old, and what paint did you use on the bottom?

D

DJ

nigelbear,<br /><br />For the most part, I went over the old paint, after a thorough scuffing.<br /><br />I used Interlux paint products.<br /><br />The primer was Interlux Zinc Chromate on the bare metal areas.<br /><br />The second primer was Interlux Metal Prep on the rest of the areas.<br /><br />The topcoat(s) was Interlux Brightside one part epoxy.<br /><br />They key to good adhesion is prep. I washed the entire boat with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water before applying any paint products.

Bondo

Staff member

Beautiful Job........<br /><br />I've got a Starcraft SS18 setting in the driveway... <br />I'm going to change the floorplan to something like you had there....<br />I'm needing more of a Weather-Proof, Utility boat....<br />It's going to the Lodge up in Maine,+ not coming back.......<br />
This is a boat I completed in '03' and sold .
Soo, How Much Money did you Make on the Deal ???? :D

D

DJ

Bondo,<br /><br />After purchase and materials (labor-mine-not included) I came close to doubling my money.<br /><br />The new owner got a good deal too.<br /><br />The Starcraft Super Sport is a great boat. My family owned one for several years. It served us very well.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep, I Hear Ya.....<br /><br />I Love Doing It...<br />I just don't bother to think too hard about the Labor thing...... ;)

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DJ, very nice!<br /><br />I have and '86 Chriscraft runnabout. '85 90 horse<br />looks just like yours. Well, the before pics anyway.<br />I figure mine is gonna need just what yours got.<br />What was your procedure for painting the motor and applying the new decal. Did you use OMC Evinrude blue like you can buy at Marine shops? What do they get for a decal?<br /><br />H90

D

DJ

Horse,<br /><br />I sanded the engine down the best I could. I washed the metal pieces with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. <br /><br />I then used OMC zinc chromate primer on any bare metal areas. I followed with the original OMC color. Tempo also makes the same color and the zinc chromate.<br /><br />I had the decals made locally. I think I still have a set, if you are interested-free of course.

D

DJ

Horse90,<br /><br />You out there?

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi DJ,<br /><br />I've been off line for a couple of days.<br />Workin' on the boat! sanding/filling taping/<br />That would be great if you could send me those decals. I'll email you with the info. I can send you a self addressed, stamped envelope.<br />Also, I've been looking over your pics. Did you make those boxes under the seats on the Nymph? Do they flip up for storing stuff undertneath? I am trying to figure out something like you have there for seating since I took out the rotten lounge seats that were in there. How are they secured to the deck? No problem with back support when you throttle up that 90 horse?<br /><br />H90

D

DJ

Horse,<br /><br />Yes, I made the boxes out of 1/2" ply supported inside with 1"X 1" boards. The lids do not flip up but there is a storagte hole cut into the back of them. They were plenty strong. They were attached to the floor using 2" stainless #8 screws that went into the cross ribs. I angled the lids for the proper seating position.<br /><br />I'll look for your address on the e-mail. I'll get them out no later than Monday-enjoy!

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Horse,<br /><br />I mounted my seats on boxes also. Since the majority of my fishing is done straight out of the back of the boat, while anchored, I mounted my seats on swivel bases. The lids are hinged to allow storage inside. I had leftover pieces of marine ply so I used 3/4" on the bottoms and 1/2" for everything else. I coated the finished boxes with 2 coats of epoxy to help protect them before wrapping in carpet.<br /><br />When building the boxes I used a hexagonal design rather than rectangular. This eliminated the pinch points on the corners while swiveling or sitting on an angle while trolling. I built the boxes complete with tops then cut an access hole big enough for tackle trays. I then added a full size lid on a stainless piano hinge. I figured that the lip around the top of the box adds stability.<br /><br />If you are interested I can probably come up with some photos in a day or so. Email me at kglattha@choice.net if interested.

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow,<br /> It looks more and more that I won't be using lawn chairs in my boat. At least not for too long. A friend of mine who builds boats suggested I use aluminum or stainless steel. Picture this.. an upside down U-shape with flanges to screw to the deck. Then you just mount the seat on top, and thats it. That is interesting... I'd have to buy the metal and have it bent. But I could just spray it off with the hose. No carpet or vinyl. <br />Thanks again DJ. KG, I would like to see those pics.<br />H90

D

DJ

Be careful with em'. They're real sticky. One time only!<br /><br />Glad to help.