Aluminum Boat Deck - What adhesive?

afalconsvick

Cadet
[FONT=&quot]I got a 14' Aluminum boat I am making a small casting deck on the front. I have a piece of marine plywood and I am in the process of putting 3 coats of spar varnish to seal the plywood. What adhesive should I use over the spar varnish to ensure it sticks to the rubber backed marine carpet?[/FONT]

I was also thinking of just using a staple gun to get the carpet in place. Any thoughts on that?

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Pick your favorite outdoor carpet glue and you should be good. Just be aware that every staple breaks your seal of spar varnish. Most guys will say that the glue should cover that up, but putting it out there. Also make sure the staples are stainless.

afalconsvick

Cadet
Has anyone done outdoor carpet glue over the spar varnish? I called Roberts today about their 6700 adhesive and they say it won't hold over the varnish. I also called DAP about their Weldwood Outdoor Carpet Adhesive, and they also told me it wouldn't hold over the spar varnish.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
afalconsvick. If you honestly want to make certain water never get to the wood, you can cover it in polyester resins and CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) fiberglass on top and bottom. Or even a few coats of that or even 1708 material with resin. But then don't shoot any stables, only glue. And that deck will be there long after you don't want the boat anymore. And any places that you have to use bolts or screws to attach it to the hull, you can use 4200 or 5200 sealers in the holes where the bolts/screws go in.

It takes real planning to made things waterproof. It isn't obvious initially. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Spar varnish isn't a very durable water proofing product, if you want it to last you need to pick something else.

afalconsvick

Cadet
If I can get a couple years out of it.. That's fine. I already have the plywood and have done a few coats of varnish. If this fails in time, I'll redo it a different way. For the time being, what should I do to get the carpet to stick over the varnish?

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I bought the outdoor carpet glue Menard's carries, and it stuck to every surface it came in contact with on my Glastron. Paint, resin, etc.

afalconsvick

Cadet
I bought the outdoor carpet glue Menard's carries, and it stuck to every surface it came in contact with on my Glastron. Paint, resin, etc.

Interesting lol.. The instructions specifically say not to use it over paint and you say it works. Not that I don't believe you, I 100% believe you. It also says dont use over varnish (which is my scenario). Seems like the manufacturers warn against it, but people do it anyways and it works.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My bow deck is plywood, spar varnish, roberts carpet adhesive, marine carpet. No issues, everything sticks as it should.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Interesting lol.. The instructions specifically say not to use it over paint and you say it works. Not that I don't believe you, I 100% believe you. It also says dont use over varnish (which is my scenario). Seems like the manufacturers warn against it, but people do it anyways and it works.

Yup, I think it was one of those things where they didn't design it with that in mind, so they cover their rears by saying not to use it for that. I read a ton of reviews, and everyone said just make sure it fully cures before you get it went, and you should be fine.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Use the carpet adhesive suggested by Ez then wrap the carpet around and staple in down on the underside of the plywood. It won't have an edge to even start peeling so you'll be golden for many years to come.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are so many types of paints and coatings that an adhesive company can't test the bond to everything, so the standard CYA answer is don't use it over anything. Also, you are depending on the bond to the substrate of that prior coating, but the adhesive will be blamed even if the old coating is what fails.

Last edited: