Aluminum Adhesive

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need a transducer mount at the rear of my other pontoon (only one mount came installed on the right side pontoon) to mount another transducer. Is there a trustworthy adhesive that will attach a bracket to the pontoon?

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Aluminum Adhesive

Thanks for your reply. Lots of good information at that site. I was more concerned with adhering an aluminum bracket to the rear of the pontoon so I can mount another transducer. Welding is the right way I am sure but I would prefer to just use adhesive unless that is not an option.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think welding if your only option. I cant imagine an adhesive standing up.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You might maybe get by JB Welding it, maybe, if you do ti right, scuff both surfaces and let it set without touching it for a full 24 hours at least.

The problem si the trans is always in the water stream getting pounded so even if the JB works I don't know for how long.

Mechanical fasteners like screws or rivets would work too but then you are poking a hole in your boat below the water line which is hardly advisable, welding is best.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I plan on doing the same thing installing transducers to the toons. I bought 3M 5200 adhisive/ sealer, which is for under water use, and I also got 3M double sided tape and the tape is for outdoor use and will hold 10 lb for every inch of tape. I cut 5" pieces of allunimun and installed the transducer bracket to that. I plan on putting the tape on the back side of the bracket, then attach it to a good clean section of the toon, then seal around the edeges of the bracket with the sealer, then hold it tight with duct tape untill it drys for a few days. if all that fails next step will be, have a bracket welded. my pontoons dont have any brackets for mounting.

Jack

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would widening the existing mount by bolting on another piece of aluminum and then mounting both units to that work?