Alumacraft R-6

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alumacraft R-6

Mines a model R. No helm or seat backs. It's a great little boat though. Good luck working on yours. I hope to one day return mine to a more original setup.

John Wist

Cadet

I did find the stamp on the transom support. Its stamped R-3180. Any chance you have the link or correct contact at Alumacraft?

Thanks,

jbcurt00

Staff member

it's hard for me to search around on my cellphone through the forum, but go 2 the alumacraft boat forum page, you know where you posted this thread, there are two new threads not just one that I posted a link to above.1 of those 2 threads, not the thread by vintage aluminum boat fan, the other 1, vintage boat fan posted an alumacraft number

John Wist

Cadet

Thanks I will give them a call tomorrow. It will be interesting to find out what year it actually is. There is no date on registration for some reason. This way I can try and get the correct decals. I hope its a 1959 to match the 18HP evinrude golden jubilee.

John

John Wist

Cadet

weather finally broke and had a chance to open the engine cowel. The motor looks very clean, better then what I expected (posted a picture above).

John Wist

Cadet

Alumcraft emailed me back that the boat was built in 1963. I know that the motor is not the one that came with boat as its a 1959. I think I'm going to keep this motor on it anyways.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alumcraft emailed me back that the boat was built in 1963. I know that the motor is not the one that came with boat as its a 1959. I think I'm going to keep this motor on it anyways.

That is a great motor. I'd sure run it.

In fact, I'd like to have it for my R!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Many Alumacraft hull designs remained unchanged for over 30yrs. If it were mine, I'd make the boat & motor as authentic as I could afford. Use the 1963 style logo (if it even changed between 1959 & 1963) on the boat and 1959 paint/decals on the motor. Most won't have any idea that they aren't the same year. And I doubt it'll be entered in any shows that a mismatch would matter either.

John Wist

Cadet

No shows for me I like use my boats and motors. The motor will be painted back to the original color and decals. I also have a 1961 Johnson 18HP that looks and runs like new sitting in my basement for winter storage. The Johnson doesn't have electric start like the Evinrude. If it did I would go with the Johnson because I know this motor well, used it all last summer and never had an issue with it. I'm not sure what the correct boat decal is but I'm sure I find something online.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Might try a guy in Canada, he's got quite a few period correct OB decals for sale, as does ebay. Most of them are not inexpensive, for a decal.
ny marine

John Wist

Cadet

I run a 1961 18HP on my 1961 Mirrocraft 13' 7" and goes about 22MPH. Cant wait to see what the Evinrude will do on this boat it probably ways about 1/2 as much as mirrocraft. Don't think I would want to much more than what its rated at. I found the evinrude decals and the one for the boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If your windshield trim & brackets are all in good shape:
attachment.php

you can make a new windshield yourself:

1 way

2nd way

3rd way (have to join to see the pix)

Iboats Andgott's windshield thread

And often you can buy a scrap boat or just it's windshield and it'll fit or can be made to fit.

John Wist

Cadet

Do you know who sells the windshield rubber molding. There was a guy selling it on e-bay but I don't see the listing anymore.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't know the seller off hand, but he must have relisted it after you looked because I show it for sale currently @evil-bay.

Use the search terms:

Boat white windshield gasket

Their search engine should find it.

Last edited: