alum boat repair, transom brace

SSG Steelhead

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
14
I was tightening my outboard motor mounts tonight and noticed that the alum angle brace under the motor is splitting along the folded area where the brace meets the transom. Is this something that can be welded?
I am replacing the transom here in a few weeks anyway. My guess is that it is from towing it without an outboard brace.
Thanks,

Eric
 

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
12,932
Re: alum boat repair, transom brace

hi. welcome to iboats !

the brace can easily be welded....

or you can rivet a larger...thicker angle to the existing side angles. kinda like a triangle resting on the hull floor .....with the back edge pressing against the new transom....riveted or bolted thru the old alum
 

dozerII

Admiral
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
6,527
Re: alum boat repair, transom brace

I was tightening my outboard motor mounts tonight and noticed that the alum angle brace under the motor is splitting along the folded area where the brace meets the transom. Is this something that can be welded?
I am replacing the transom here in a few weeks anyway. My guess is that it is from towing it without an outboard brace.
Thanks,

Eric

Hey Eric, I found the same thing on my 18 SS. I glued and riveted 1/4" thick 2"X2" aluminum angle to what was left om my knee brace, as you can see in this link. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=476671&p=3269695&viewfull=1#post3269695
 
Top