Alternator and isolator connection

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, recentley i have purchased a boat with a volvo 260a sterndrive. i am concerned about the alternator and isolator configuration. based on research i beleive the setup is incorrect though it does work. this boat has a starting battery and 2 deep cycle running in parralel. there is a battery selector switch (1, 2 , and all). the alternator is 50 amp output and the isolator a 70 amp output. the positive 10 gauge wire connected to the back of the alternator connects to alternator in on the isolator. the isolator then has 2 ......10 gauge wires coming out seperately connected one to each battery bank. than the battery selector switch 1 and 2 is connected to each of the battery banks. my concern is did the electrician use the right size gauge wire for this application,
QUESTIONS:
1). Are there fuses needed from alt to isolator?
2). Are there fuses needed from isolator out to each battery bank?
3). If fuses are needed what type of fuse holder and what size fuse are needed?
4). If fuses are needed how many inches from the alt out wire to connect fuse holder?
5). if fuses are needed how many inches away from each battery bank?
6). did the electrician use the correct size gauge wire for this application?
also to mention there is 2 amplifiers runnning a stereo with 2......10 inch subs....2 ....inch mid bass....and 2 tweeters.
this setup has been working for previous owner for years without a problem.....? any help would be great..please reply thank you.

sam am I

Commander
Re: Alternator and isolator connection

op's diode iso setup.jpg
Close?

What are "?1-?6" wire sizes?

1). Are there fuses needed from alt to isolator? Not mandatory but you can, see the ISO's manufacturer recommendations

2). Are there fuses needed from isolator out to each battery bank? See #1

3). If fuses are needed what type of fuse holder and what size fuse are needed? Typically rule of thumb is fuse rating should be around twice average draw so as to accommodate the normal peak demands w/o opening

4). If fuses are needed how many inches from the alt out wire to connect fuse holder? http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/reference/2010_ABYCexcerpts.pdf

5). if fuses are needed how many inches away from each battery bank?http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/reference/2010_ABYCexcerpts.pdf

6). did the electrician use the correct size gauge wire for this application? Don't have all details but, leaning towards.......Looks like it might be a little on the light side. Check #'s of conductor and wire run types.
AWG.jpg

Last edited: