Alternative Tow Vehicles, any thought's?

Philster

Captain
Re: Alternative Tow Vehicles, any thought's?

Maintenance and fuel costs: A car/truck combo is less in maintenance costs than a truck alone. You are only driving one. If it costs 60 cents per mile in a truck, then it's less with a car thrown in -- not more.

Insurance: An old daily commuter car? In my case, it saves me 1500-2000 a year on fuel and costs about 600 for insurance.

My truck depreciation: With so little miles going on my tow vehicle, it'll be around a long time and hold more of its value.

A truck going 25k miles costs more to operate that a commuter car going 20k and a truck going 5k. Sorry... it just does. Even with insurance. Maintenance: You lose this argument. See points above.

Answer: Two wisely selected vehicles.

Any sound and reasonable calculation on cost per mile (fuel, insurance, maintenance, depreciation, etc) will show the two vehicle combo winning every time, provided the truck sits enough and the commuter car saves enough.

The non-financial cost to you: Both vehicles will be an average age that is older than if you spent all the dough on a new truck, but the new truck will depreciate rapidly, your fuel costs will be very high, maintenance will be more and the temporary status of being socially ahead by having a nicer solo truck will be over in about two years (probably much less).

Long-term win: two wisely selected vehicles.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Trade the PU and see about getting 2 fuel efficiant cars, depending on make might be suprised what the cost of the second car might cost. Then use the Expedition for pulling boat, and when the family needs to all go, tell your insurance agent about the change in use and the cost of insurance will be reasonable.

I tried that route with Allstate, didn't save me hardly anything overall with all of the stupid fees involved. Plus there was always some reason to need the truck for odd jobs. Too much hassle turning the insurance on and off from a garage policy to occaisional use.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just buy a 02-04 diesel pickup and be done with it. I CAN get 30-32 MPG with my 03 duramax if I drive it nice. so if I got another car it would be 800 a year in insurance, plus 100 in oil changes and then there is repairs. for a couple MPG savings! not worth it, 2 vehicles don't work EVERY time.

Oh and I would take the eco boost over the Hemi any day, the v6 out pulls the hemi ALL DAY and way less fuel.

but if you want to tow and get a decent MPG then go diesel!

Mike Zee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just buy a 02-04 diesel pickup and be done with it. I CAN get 30-32 MPG with my 03 duramax if I drive it nice. so if I got another car it would be 800 a year in insurance, plus 100 in oil changes and then there is repairs. for a couple MPG savings! not worth it, 2 vehicles don't work EVERY time.

Oh and I would take the eco boost over the Hemi any day, the v6 out pulls the hemi ALL DAY and way less fuel.

but if you want to tow and get a decent MPG then go diesel!
Are you seriously able to get that type of mpg's? If thats even remotely possible that would be great for a BIG truck. My brother in law had a F250 diesel ran like a V8 S10, but he was never happy with the mpg he was getting. It was the 6L I think.

sam60

Captain

Find a well maintained truck with a Cummins with less than 500,00 miles and you'll get many years and plenty of towing torque.

Mike Zee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not in the U.S.A., you can't.

I did see a low mileage Jeep Liberty diesel at a car lot last year. I was amused at that, Didn't ever hear anything about them. Too small and too unique for my tastes. I do wish I would have test drove it, just because.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you seriously able to get that type of mpg's? If thats even remotely possible that would be great for a BIG truck. My brother in law had a F250 diesel ran like a V8 S10, but he was never happy with the mpg he was getting. It was the 6L I think.

I let the wife drive my truck once and she got 32ish on the highway, I drive it very hard and get about 22, but it's about the same with my 2000lb loaded camper and my 16' fiberglass BR on it.

it's just the repairs and maintenance that get you with a diesel. I work in camp for 28 days then out for 14 so I don't put many miles on it so I only do about 1 oil change a year at $60, I have 300,000km on mine now and so far it has needed a idler pulley and an alternator. if you were looking into a diesel I would say get a duramax or 12 valve cummins. I don't know how the cummins is on fuel, but I have a chip in my DMAX and know a few others that all say it adds to the MPG if you have it on the right setting.

there is nothing like 900ft lbs of torque and 32 MPG to go with it

NYBo

Admiral

'ya sure about that? (Hint, I rode in a friends 2005 diesel grand cherokee last week...) They were short lived, and are not readily available. As someone else mentioned, they are also $$$$$, if the engine goes, you just drag it to the junkyard. Additionally, the diesels are scheduled for USDM release again in 201
A Mercedes diesel was offered in 2007, but sold poorly. As I said, ya can't buy a new diesel GC in the US, at least not yet.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I also recommend selling the truck and keeping the Expedition.

Mike Zee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After some serious discussion, and with the advice you guys offered up, we're waiting on our decision. My vehicles aren't too hideous as it is, and they both do the job. Thank for putting my head on straight. Must be the winter weather bringing me down!