Alternative Tow Vehicles, any thought's?

Mike Zee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 05 Expedition 5.4 with 3.73 gears (Wifes). It is a great tow vehicle, plenty of power, room. It pulls my 23'er without any issues. But the wife wants to trade it in on a smaller car. It's her's so it's gone, soon (I don't want it). I have an 02 F150, 4.6 with 3.55 gears. It pulls the boat ok, struggling on hills, but bearable. Its been a good truck all around with very little issues over the last 10 years, but it's tired. I'm a little tired of pickup's, this has been my 7th one since high school and i'm just tired of them. Is there any thoughts of a different type of tow vehicle? My pockets aren't that deep, but i ain't hit rock bottom either. I also do an 80 mile round trip to work everyday. Help me out with some ideas. Boat's about 6000 lbs loaded, and the way i am with boats they are only going to get bigger! I tow to Erie-180 miles, Raystown lake-170 Miles, Local river-6 miles. I have dragged it to Florida and to Northern Chesapeake bay. So no telling where i'll end up.

Sylvan 75

Recruit
Re: Alternative Tow Vehicles, any thought's?

I would take over the wifes vehicle and trade the truck in.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Diesel. Although I'm not sure how you go with a diesel and get away from a pickup.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jeep grand cheeroke's can tow up to 7400 and you can get them in diesel. but I will say I was a dodge mechanic and a new engine for the jeep diesels is more than the purchase price of a whole new one

also the chevy tahoe's can get up to 8500 lbs, DO NOT get an explorer, and I HATE the ford modular engine's as they blow the spark plugs out of the heads, so I wouldn't get one to tow anything

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like Sylvan's idea. You know the Expedition does the job well and it isn't another pickup. BTW, Is it 4WD?

southkogs

Staff member

As an alternative ... I've got an E-150 with the big V8. This is my second full size van ... LOVE 'EM. This one I found used, 1/2 ton chassis but with the suspension of a 3/4 ton (used to be a rental). 8 passenger, 200 cubic feet of space in back.

But that Expedition is no slouch. To keep gas cheap, I'd go with Sylvan's idea as well.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

3/4 ton chevy avalanche.... you can get em up to and including the 8.1..... If you get a boat too big for that engine, you need a dually anyhow LOL

The last couple years of the avalanche they were available without the plastic cladding and looked better IMHO... you COULD even swap on the 99-02 front fenders and grill with a GMC HD hood but then that's probably more work than 99% of people would mess with lol

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

3/4 ton chevy avalanche.... you can get em up to and including the 8.1..... If you get a boat too big for that engine, you need a dually anyhow LOL

The last couple years of the avalanche they were available without the plastic cladding and looked better IMHO... you COULD even swap on the 99-02 front fenders and grill with a GMC HD hood but then that's probably more work than 99% of people would mess with lol

Interesting, I've never seen an Avalanche w/o all the plastic, or 3/4-ton. That would be a decent allternative, imo....

​<<)))(((>>

Philster

Captain

My solution was to get two vehicles for less than one might cost:

1) Daily commuter is a 2002 Toyota Celica GTS with 6-speed manual good for 32-34 MPG on my 70+ mile round trip.

2) I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram.

Total outlay for both vehicles was around 31k. I know people who bought one brand new vehicle for 36-40k.

Total cost of ownership for both vehicles is less than one brand new Ram equally equipped. If you combine fuel savings and slower depreciation of the newer vehicle, it works out even better.

I used to have a similar combo, but a less expensive combo:

Had a Dodge Dakota and VW Jetta. My friends all had shorter commutes and much more expensive full-sized trucks that cost as much as my two vehicles and more.

What I would ask is what is your total budget? It might make more sense to get two vehicles within that budget or even slightly above the initial outlay.

You can get a reliable daily commuter for 6,000 bucks.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Not in the U.S.A., you can't.

'ya sure about that? (Hint, I rode in a friends 2005 diesel grand cherokee last week...) They were short lived, and are not readily available. As someone else mentioned, they are also $$$$$, if the engine goes, you just drag it to the junkyard. Additionally, the diesels are scheduled for USDM release again in 201

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Vote number three in favor of keeping the Expy and swapping the pickup for a grocery getter. Seems like a no brainer to me.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Interesting, I've never seen an Avalanche w/o all the plastic, or 3/4-ton. That would be a decent allternative, imo....

​<<)))(((>>

You know what kind of mileage a 496 8.1L avalanche gets? 9-12MPG tops! Not my choice for an 80mi round trip commute....

Philster

Captain

What's the budget here?

gtochris

My solution was to get two vehicles for less than one might cost:

1) Daily commuter is a 2002 Toyota Celica GTS with 6-speed manual good for 32-34 MPG on my 70+ mile round trip.

2) I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram.

Total outlay for both vehicles was around 31k. I know people who bought one brand new vehicle for 36-40k.

Total cost of ownership for both vehicles is less than one brand new Ram equally equipped. If you combine fuel savings and slower depreciation of the newer vehicle, it works out even better.

You can get a reliable daily commuter for 6,000 bucks.

I do something similar as my GTO is my pretty much summer only car when I am not driving as much and my 2002 Civic 5 speed is my DD with 171K that gets me to work/ school.
34MPG average and it brought my insurance DOWN as it's a cheep car and I dont have full coverage on it. Maintenance/ tires for a small car are NOTHING compared to a truck/ suv.

Having a 3rd car is also a help if something else is getting maintenance your not left high and dry.

Thats my vote.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I wouldn't worry about the 05 Expy blowing plugs from the head, they cured that problem somewhere in the earlier 2000's. Breaking in half, maybe, but that's only a one time deal when they're changed.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't worry about the 05 Expy blowing plugs from the head, they cured that problem somewhere in the earlier 2000's. Breaking in half, maybe, but that's only a one time deal when they're changed.

Hopefully a no time deal when I change mine.

drrpm

There really aren't any vehicles that will tow over 6,000 lbs and have good fuel efficiency. The OP doesn't really state what his objection to a pick up is, just that he's tired of them. As a home owner, boater etc. I have found it handy to have a pick up as my third vehicle. An SUV can be almost as good, but for hauling over sized objects, landscaping supplies or anything else you wouldn't want inside your vehicle the truck is better. Given the data available, I'd say keep 1 of the Fords and sell the other. Then find a small reliable car you like as your daily driver. I picked up a barely used (1 week old) 2007 Honda Civic with a manual transmission. for a good price and it is fun to drive and quite economical. The previous owner was an older fellow who decided he couldn't handle the stick shift anymore.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

6000 lbs and probably a bigger boat in the future. Stick to the Expedition or get another full sized pickup for towing. Get yourself a smaller car for commuting. You are dragging around a big heavy boat, it needs a full sized truck to pull it around, so, that said, don't kid yourself into thinking that just because a Jeep Cherokee can pull 7400lbs means it can do it comfortably. A mid sized SUV won't cut it, only a truck, sorry bud, there is no easy way out of this one.