Alternative to carpet for floor covering???

FlaBuoy

Cadet
Any ideas for a floor covering other that carpet? I am looking for something that will dry relatively quickly. I should say something that won?t hold water, and is cool in the heat of summer.

One of my 1st thoughts was Truck bed liner in a light color, i.e. white or speckled...

This was another, http://www.seadekstore.com

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alternative to carpet for floor covering???

Vinyl from I boats is a good product. Properly installed it will last almost forever,its very tough and cleans up easly. Nautalux comes in several colors.

jetstreakdave

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go vinyl it cleans up easily is very durable and looks good.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Love my vinyl deck.

DSCF2504.jpg

Best prices on Nautolex are at http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409&id=311410

FlaBuoy

Cadet

Thank-you all,

All very good ideas..

I was able to call the defender.com group and a few samples are on the way..

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does the vinyl you have used get slippery when wet?

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

I'm stubborn and use carpet for some sound dampening, the look and feel, because it is more than a fishing boat, and easy to work with.

When fishing, I have a mat that is placed in the back half of the cockpit for fish drippins, works.

barato2

Commander

what makes the most sense to me is doing the same plan in reverse: cover the floor with vinyl or whatever for fishing, and then cut a hunk of I/O carpet to fit precisely over cockpit floor for when the Admiral or guests are along

sschefer

Rear Admiral

what makes the most sense to me is doing the same plan in reverse: cover the floor with vinyl or whatever for fishing, and then cut a hunk of I/O carpet to fit precisely over cockpit floor for when the Admiral or guests are along

A lot of manufacturers of Fish and Ski style boats tried this. The problem is that it traps water between the two decks and mold/mildew and rot set in pretty quick.

Jetcraft has it figured out. They cut the deck panels in sections, cover them in vinyl and staple it to the back then put the deck in and screw it down. If you have a bad spot you just take one section out and replace it. I always put the deck in first, secured it, then glued the vinyl down but Jetcrafts method makes so much more sense to me.

barato2

Commander

then i should be OK since my Starchief only has 1 deck.;)

seriously, i was actually talking about just a piece of loose carpet that i drop in for a few hours at a time, on the rare occasions when i'm doing something besides fishing. most of the time, it would just be the vinyl or whatever. i'm actually considering using the 2-part garage floor epoxy on the bare wood if it looks like the stuff will stand up to UV....half the price of Durabak

sschefer

Rear Admiral

then i should be OK since my Starchief only has 1 deck.;)

seriously, i was actually talking about just a piece of loose carpet that i drop in for a few hours at a time, on the rare occasions when i'm doing something besides fishing. most of the time, it would just be the vinyl or whatever. i'm actually considering using the 2-part garage floor epoxy on the bare wood if it looks like the stuff will stand up to UV....half the price of Durabak

Actually the carpet snapped in over the vinyl but people that didn't fish a lot left the carpet in all the time. If you fish, that carpet would be gone in no time. Hooks, love carpet!

The Marine Vinyl isn't that expensive and wears extremely well. It cleans up really easy too. My worst accident was when a trout decided to let loose her eggs all over the inside of the boat. That would have been a disaster on carpet.

I'm not sure about the Garage epoxy. The only thing I can think of is that it might have an etching agent in it for concrete. Might want to check and see if would be o.k. to use on wood.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure about the Garage epoxy. The only thing I can think of is that it might have an etching agent in it for concrete. Might want to check and see if would be o.k. to use on wood.

Some of it also isn't UV tolerant.

barato2

Commander

if it looks like the stuff will stand up to UV

thanks EZ, hadn;t throught of that UV issue......;)

Steve, the etchant is a separate bottle in the kit rather than part of the coatings.

ultimately, i may come back to the Durabak

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

skid not from Lowes, it is an anti skid deck coating. I love it. So far 5 years of use and no peeling, just recoat a few times.
It has traction, but yet lets you wash it down. I have zero carpet in my boat. Fish blood and carpet do not mix.

Attachments

• fourth of july week 2009076.jpg
    fourth of july week 2009076.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boat12.jpg
    boat12.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1

barato2

Commander

that may be the answer. you find it in the paint section or where? you're not kidding on fish blood.....when i get into tuna schools, i have literally found myself bailing the blood out of the portabote. i can only imagine how carpet would look full of dried blood....:eek:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

skid not from Lowes, it is an anti skid deck coating. I love it. So far 5 years of use and no peeling, just recoat a few times.
It has traction, but yet lets you wash it down. I have zero carpet in my boat. Fish blood and carpet do not mix.

That's probably the most appropriate non-standard coating I've hear recommended yet. I hate non-skid but that's only because I had 14 years of sea duty in the Navy. I never want to see non-skid again but...... it makes sense and works very well. Never, Never, Never, wax it.. LOL...

barato2

Commander

Elkhunter--

are you sure that's the name it's sold under? just ran a search on Lowe's site and nada. i was going to pick some up on way home.