Alpha one Gen 2 u-joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey988

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! Pics and video and You will be blessed ;)
I assembled everything today and when I got to about 5 LB-IN for the rolling torque I loosened the nut 1/2 a turn and tried the deadblow on the threaded end while holding the bearing race but this did not work and lower the rolling torque at all. I was afraid to hit it any harder, so I tightened the nut until I hit a rolling torque of 5.5 LB-IN and called it good.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I assembled everything today and when I got to about 5 LB-IN for the rolling torque I loosened the nut 1/2 a turn and tried the deadblow on the threaded end while holding the bearing race but this did not work and lower the rolling torque at all. I was afraid to hit it any harder, so I tightened the nut until I hit a rolling torque of 5.5 LB-IN and called it good.
I think you need to use more force to separate them like with a bearing splitter

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Bearings have to be separated a little bit before redoing the rolling torque. Either with a bearing splitter, or you can use a plastic deadblow hammer and give the shaft a solid tap to make a small gap before reassembling.

Inspect visually the bearings and races. Any marring or pattered shiny spots and they get replaced.
Can anyone please describe the deadlow hammer method??

Status
Not open for further replies.