Alpha One Gen 2 Stern Drive Shift Shaft Bushing

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alpha One Gen 2 Stern Drive Shift Shaft Bushing

Hi Micheal,

Success... That is a drive serial number for a 1.84:1 drive made in 1995. :D

Part number for the upper shift shaft top bushing is -806036A1

To save having any of these problems (serial number) in future, you can add them to a signature that will appear when you make a post. That way you'll always have record of it, and you won't get pains in the *** like me constantly asking for them... :D :D

Cheers,

Chris.........
(my signature is right below...)

micboy

Cadet

Hi, All

I just received the OEM kit part number 23-806036A1, however I noticed that the seals are bigger then the brass bushing..do these go inside the brass were this have the reassess.

Picture attached...

Thx
4348_0.jpg

achris

Hi, All

I just received the OEM kit part number 23-806036A1, however I noticed that the seals are bigger then the brass bushing..do these go inside the brass were this have the reassess.

Have a look at the PDF in Don's post (4th post in this thread). The bushing gets pressed into the bell-housing aperture, then the seals...

Chris......

micboy

Cadet

Hi, All

Update on the current situation :) So drained the Oil and it does look nice dark green with no traces of water.

Also I did pressure test the drive to 15psi and sprayed water with soap to see if I could locate a bubble no bubbles what so ever. Left the drive with the 15psi overnight and I lost a bit let say 4-5 psi (is this acceptable?)

Also separated the lower and the upper to change the water pump I also pressure checked this to see if I had a leak from the shift shaft seal and the seal below the water pump. Again no bubbles what so ever...

I assembled the drive with the new

Water pump
New Shift seal
New Oil O-ring (the small one)

And did another pressure test to see the new results, I had the same result 15Psi 24hrs later a slight drop 4-5 psi.

Your comments thoughts are much appreciated. Photos attached :)) :2013-02-24 13.23.27.jpg2013-02-24 12.04.38.jpg2013-02-26 21.31.45.jpg

Mic

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the pressure test needs to hold 15 psi for a minimum of 10 minutes, not overnite

if after 11 minutes, you are still at 15 psi - you are fine

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A couple of problems I see in your pictures, in the circled are in picture below, the corrosion has eat through the wall. Air will suck in there when you are on plane, and you will get an overheat. Probably didn't have that problem until you cleaned the corrosion off.
Might try cleaning it up and filling it with some JB Weld so it will seal.
The other thing is the melted top on the plastic carrier (arrow). May pass a pressure check, but may be a problem when in the water running.

drive problems.jpg

micboy

Cadet

the pressure test needs to hold 15 psi for a minimum of 10 minutes, not overnite

if after 11 minutes, you are still at 15 psi - you are fine

Thanks

That is exactly what I wanted to hear :)))))) Now all I need is to fill up the drive with the gear lube and that is one part ready for summer :)

Mic

micboy

Cadet

Hi Don S

Thanks for your post... and photo :)

That is exactly when I removed the water pump; I did clean it and also did manage to get some sort of a fine surface, however to be honest I have a little bit of paint peeling but my guess would be that this will be minimal (basically it’s a lot worse in the photo than it actually is)

Re the Seal carrier, I think you are 100% right here :faint2: for some strange reason I did not replace that.:mad2:

Thx

micboy

Cadet

Hi, All

I need some help again :(

Today I filled the drive with gear oil and stared the engine to changed the oil however I noticed that few drops of water was coming out from the weep holes under the cavication plate and a few more drops in from where the lower part joins with the upper exactly where the water pump is..

My guess would be that the impeller housing and gaskets are not 100% sealed and leaking water out!
What is the way forward to solve this issue?? Do you think I should leave this as is? Or drain the oil and make a correct base for the gasket and the water pump housing so this would not leak.

Any help is much appreciated

dubs283

Vice Admiral

did you use perfect seal on the base plate gasket??

did you install the seal on top of the housing??

micboy

Cadet

did you use perfect seal on the base plate gasket??

did you install the seal on top of the housing??

Hi.. No I did not use gasket seal (perfect seal) I should have :mad:

Yes I installed both gaskets the lower on and the upper one and also the dust washer (seal on top) however that seal is only meant to be to stop exhaust particles not water coming out (Am I right?) in any case that seal is new I also applied grease to that seal for a better fit :

Most probably the flat surface has eroded and the gasket on its own would never seal..(basically I do not have a nice flat surface for the bottom gasket)

What I think its best is drain the oil into a clean pan (to re use it) then remove the lower part and re install the water pump with perfect seal and use some jb weld to get a smooth surface... as Don S suggested (first post on this page)

Let me know
Thx

micboy

Cadet

Anyone can help so that i would fix this. Please.

Don S I bought the seal carrier and will change this.. So do you think that i will manage to build a good base with jb weld

Thx

micboy

Cadet

Hi All

An update on what I did...

I used Jb Weld in order to get a nice flat and smooth surface for the gasket to sit in. Sanded this down and applied a coat of Galvacote (galvanizing coat) now I will let this dry and paint it to black with a Hammerite. Photos attached 2013-03-21 20.34.27.jpg2013-03-21 20.34.56.jpg

While working on the water pump for the second time round I did remove and installed a new oil seal carrier as suggested here :)

Anyway thanks all for your help

Thx

achris

Looks like a nice job, well done.