Alpha One Gen 2 Stern Drive Shift Shaft Bushing

micboy

Cadet
Hi... All

Yesterday I removed the Stern Drive to re paint and inspect Gimbal Bearing also wanted to make sure that no water is present inside the bellow etc... Thank God all is well and dry :)

However I did notice some considerable ??Play?? in the shift shaft (were the exhaust and water runs out)
It does look like a seal is worn out but I can?t see a replacement part on the manual.. my guess would be that water will manage to find its self from here to the upper parts of the drive an maybe inside the u-joint..

Any help or suggestions

Thx Michael

Attachments

• AlphaoneGEn2 stern Question.JPG
    AlphaoneGEn2 stern Question.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 7

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alpha One Gen 2 Stern Drive Shift Shaft Bushing

Part # 23-806036A1

Chris.

micboy

Cadet

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.. Just one more quick question..

My engine number is OF594106 so this mean I need the GLM 87562 bushing right? Or the 87561 as I am searching the web and there are 2 different types..

Link for your perusal
Bell Housing Parts

Thx

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need your drive serial number, not your engine serial number. Have a look at this info from the service manual.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bushings.jpg
    bushings.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 13

achris

The number I gave you is for the top bushing. The lower bushing isn't critical, can leak all it likes and it's not a problem (there's no seal in it, it's just a support/guide for the upper shift-shaft). As for the GLM part? No idea, I only use OEM....Also that's an engine serial number you have provided. Since we are working on the drive, we need to work with the drive serial number.

Finally found the numbers you're referring to. If you insist on using non-genuine, then 87561 is for MC-1, R, MR, Alpha One (1966-1991) and Alpha One gen II up to 0F094775 (about 1993). After 0F094775 you would need 87562, which is why we need your drive serial number....

Chris.....

micboy

Cadet

OK

Thanks for the information.... I will tonight go and check the serial number of the drive... Hope that this is still visible...

Will let you know soon ;)

Mic

micboy

Cadet

As promised... my serial is

Thx

achris

Thx

I have checked all possible variants of 607119, with a prefix, and none are a drive. Assuming it's a '0F', then 0F607119 is a 3 litre engine.

Please check it again, and include the numbers and letters in front.

Chris...

micboy

Cadet

Hi... Chris

Thanks for your fast reply :) Yes Indeed that is my brother serial number he also owns a Bayliner 2052LS like mine but with a 3Ltr engine...

Currently my boat is about 1 hrs drive from where I live and yesterday I did not manage to get this serial that is why I gave you my brother serial as his boat is nicely sitting in his garage..

However I am assuming that the stern drives are the same as mine is a 1995 make year and his is a 96.
Also do you mind me asking if you have a web site that I can input my serial and this will give me the boat information etc... like you just did..:)

Thanks again

achris

Hi... Chris

Thanks for your fast reply :) Yes Indeed that is my brother serial number he also owns a Bayliner 2052LS like mine but with a 3Ltr engine...

Currently my boat is about 1 hrs drive from where I live and yesterday I did not manage to get this serial that is why I gave you my brother serial as his boat is nicely sitting in his garage..

However I am assuming that the stern drives are the same as mine is a 1995 make year and his is a 96.
Also do you mind me asking if you have a web site that I can input my serial and this will give me the boat information etc... like you just did..:)

Thanks again

Doesn't work like that... Year of the boat has nothing to do with the year of the engine, or the drive for that matter. As for 'being the same', no on that too. Many subtle but significant changes were made between 95 and 96. My boat had a 94 in until 2006 when I changed. They look the same, but they aren't. We need the serial number from your drive, not your brothers.

There is no website (that I know of) that will give year from serial number. The more important thing a serial number gives us is to see exactly what model the engine or drive is. Merc dealers have programs for parts look up, and that also gives model for serial number. I was once a dealer and as such still have the programs, so I'm able to look up this sort of thing so I can help people with problems, but without the serial number it makes it so much harder.

Chris......

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

My engine number is OF594106 so this mean I need the GLM...........

I'm with Chris, you don"t need GLM anything, For critical parts (like this) you need OEM Mercruiser parts.

achris

OK

Thanks for the information.... I will tonight go and check the serial number of the drive... Hope that this is still visible...

Will let you know soon ;)

Mic

Thx

Yes Indeed that is my brother serial number he also owns a Bayliner 2052LS like mine but with a 3Ltr engine...

Thanks again

So, you gave the engine serial number from your brother's boat, telling us it was your own boats' drive serial number, and hoped we wouldn't find out, and that any parts we identified would be the right ones....

Good call..... :facepalm:

micboy

Cadet

So, you gave the engine serial number from your brother's boat, telling us it was your own boats' drive serial number, and hoped we wouldn't find out, and that any parts we identified would be the right ones....

Good call..... :facepalm:

No... NO Supreme Mariner,

The first number I quoted (Engine Serial number) is mine.... then I realized that we still needed the drive number  now that my boat is in a garage an 1hrs drive from where I live, I got hold of my brother and asked him to give me his drive serial.  as this is park in his home garage ...

Also I will now get the OEM one and not the aftermarket  Thanks for all your inputs

I will try to find some time and go get MY drive number this weekend and will let you know so you could guide me to the correct part number

Mic

achris

The first number I quoted (Engine Serial number) is mine.... then I realized that we still needed the drive number  now that my boat is in a garage an 1hrs drive from where I live, I got hold of my brother and asked him to give me his drive serial.  as this is park in his home garage ...

So, you're buying parts for your engine and your brothers' drive? Why did he give you his engine serial number when you needed his drive serial number?

micboy said:
I will try to find some time and go get MY drive number this weekend and will let you know so you could guide me to the correct part number

Who's drive are you working on? I'm really confused now... :confused::confused:

micboy

Cadet

Hi... I am currently working on my drive.

The serial that I gave in the 3rd post that is my engine number, then I have been told that we need the drive serial in order to get the correct part. That is when I gave my brother drive serial number. I did not manage to find time and get this from my boat.. Hope managed to explain my self correctly this time...

Also I have another query if you do not mind, I have been sanding my drive for repaint just now and when I turned this on its side a small amount of gear lube got out from the gear housing water drain hole.... However it only dripped let say 2 small drops not more than a 2cm in diameter... That is it no more drops and i did not see any more oil... Just an additional note last summer the oil bottle only went down let say 1 cm... I don think its a prob right?

Thanks again for your help... And as promised I will try to find time and get my drive serial number

achris

Hi... I am currently working on my drive.

The serial that I gave in the 3rd post that is my engine number, then I have been told that we need the drive serial in order to get the correct part. That is when I gave my brother drive serial number. I did not manage to find time and get this from my boat.. Hope managed to explain my self correctly this time...

OK... we're working on YOUR drive, but you gave us your brothers ENGINE serial number of it.... Yeah, I can see how that would work.... :facepalm:

micboy said:
Also I have another query if you do not mind, I have been sanding my drive for repaint just now and when I turned this on its side a small amount of gear lube got out from the gear housing water drain hole.... However it only dripped let say 2 small drops not more than a 2cm in diameter... That is it no more drops and i did not see any more oil... Just an additional note last summer the oil bottle only went down let say 1 cm... I don think its a prob right?

Wrong.... ANY oil leaking from the drive indicates a seal or 'O' ring failing. You need to drain the drive of all the oil and do a pressure and vacuum test on it... If you leave a seal leaking, you'll be replacing the drive quite soon.

micboy said:
Thanks again for your help... And as promised I will try to find time and get my drive serial number

If you have your Mercruiser owners' handbook close all 3 serial numbers (yes, 3. ENGINE, TRANSOM ASSEMBLY and DRIVE) should have been recorded in there by the installing dealer.

Chris.........

micboy

Cadet

Hi all

Finally i did manage to get my drive serial number.... 0F579605 please let me know what is the correct and best part that one can fit...

Also i did read more about the small oil leak :( most probabbly this is comming from the shifth shaft seal however i will soon empty the drive and see from there.

Alos i did bought this boat last summer and i don not have manuals etc...

Thanks again

Michael

achris

Hi all

Finally i did manage to get my drive serial number.... 0F579605 please let me know what is the correct and best part that one can fit...

Not yet... That's the TRANSOM serial number, not the drive....

micboy said:
Also i did read more about the small oil leak :( most probably this is coming from the shift shaft seal however i will soon empty the drive and see from there.

Once you get the drive empty of oil you should pressure test it and confirm the source of the leak, BEFORE trying to pull it apart.

micboy said:
Also i did bought this boat last summer and i don not have manuals etc...

The previous owner/dealer should have handed over the owners' handbook. If he/they didn't, contact Mercury and get the to send one to you.

micboy

Cadet

Hi Chris

First of all thanks for your prompt reply much obliged... So now i have a problem :( to tell you the truth i did do a search on the net and managed to find out were the serial numbers are located, however i cant see my serial number on the drive... It just not there:(

I will go just now in the garage and again have a closer look i am looking for the serial number on the side of the drive where the top oil vent is ...

Anyway i will check again and i will let you know the outcome

Mich

micboy

Cadet

Hi All,

Please,please forgive my ignorance the serial was buried under 3 layers of paint (antifouling etc) here its is OF525090.

Ok what i am planning to do is continue sanding this and then when ready i will drain the oil to see the color etc... Then i will try to get my hands on a pressure tester, then according to the result we will go from there.

But in the mean time an oem part number for the bushing would be nice so i will get this thing ordered and on its way to malta

Thx and thx
Michael