Alpha one gen 2 shimming tools

adam619

Cadet
Tried searching for dimensions of shimming tools for 1993 alpha one gen 2 sn 0f168027 to no avail , would anyone have precision measurements of those by any chance ? Seems pretty stiff $$$for something I can make on the lathe...

I know you can use compound to view and duplicate gear pattern but it don't think there is an alternative to shimming for new bearings , is this right?

Thanks

Adam

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Which shim tools are you trying to find? I have tools for the Gen 1 but don't know if they are the same for the Gen 2. The Mercruiser Manual 6 shows the tool part numbers that I have.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You can't make them accurately enough. If you're as much as 0.25mm out, you'll chew up the gears, and spending way more than you 'saved' by making your own.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You can't make them accurately enough. If you're as much as 0.25mm out, you'll chew up the gears, and spending way more than you 'saved' by making your own.
That I'd call you on.... however, making those particular tools would require the drawings or the tool, said drawings of which I have never seen beyond simple stuff like alignment bars. If I had the drawings or the actual tool could make a copy within tolerance.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
That I'd call you on.... however, making those particular tools would require the drawings or the tool, said drawings of which I have never seen beyond simple stuff like alignment bars. If I had the drawings or the actual tool could make a copy within tolerance.
This sounds like a nice side gig.

achris

Don't dispute you on the ability to make. Problem is getting the original dimensions. Those tools are 'funny' shapes and getting accurate measurements would be difficult.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am getting ready to assemble my outdrive using a new lower unit housing. I did not find a tool for shimming the forward gear. Mercruiser said to start with 0.020 shims for the forward gear. Next you install and shim the pinion gear and shaft. Manual #6 says to start with 0.015 pinion shims. There is a tool for checking the shim clearance on the pinion shaft. There is a special tool for applying upward force on the pinion shaft (at least for the Gen 1) and you have to torque the pinion nut to spec before checking the clearance with the shim tool. You would then need to check the backlash in the gears (another tool for that) to make sure it is all set correctly.

The biggest issue I see is that you start with 0.020 for the forward gear but if you need to change that, you have to use a puller and remove the race to change it.

I heard the Seloc SE106 manual describes how to shim without the tools. I haven't tried that and don't know how well that works.

achris

I heard the Seloc SE106 manual describes how to shim without the tools...
I'm sure it may, but seloc and clymer manuals are best used as knee pads, or fire starters, because they sure aren't manuals... Quite literally, they aren't worth the paper they're printed on...

adam619

Cadet
.25mm , lol , it is a timely process definitely, but I highly doubt your in a position to determine if I can make them to spec or not,

I have found tools to borrow ill try to measure them and post dimensions here if anyone wants them

Thanks all

Daithi

Cadet
.25mm , lol , it is a timely process definitely, but I highly doubt your in a position to determine if I can make them to spec or not,

I have found tools to borrow ill try to measure them and post dimensions here if anyone wants them

Thanks all
I'd appreciate the dimensions please especially the 90180 Gear Shim Tool