Alpha Gen 2 transom leak

Striker36

Cadet
I have recently done shift, u-joint and exhaust bellows, and I know these are all well sealed. Still seeing a small trickle of water getting in somewhere around the transom. Is there anywhere else that it could be coming from that I missed?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Well, could be a few things
does it come in on muffs or in the water
does it leak water out the drain plug running on muffs
have you ever had a strong bottom strike or destroyed a propeller

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
If your transom is sound, and not rotten, then a common area is the seal at the bottom where the hydraulic lines go to the the trim. But unfortunately a more common area is the seal around the transom assembly itself - which almost always signals a soft transom.

Striker36

Cadet
Transom seems very sound, and I'm only seeing the leak in the water, not on muffs. Could it be the shift shaft bushings up closer to the u- joint bellows? Would that let water in?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
exaust Y pipe leaking, the shift shaft bushing woul not let water into the boat ,just the shift cable cavity

have you ever had a strong bottom strike or destroyed a propeller

This could dis-lodge the transom seal at the very bottom of the housing. try inserting a business card around the transom

Last edited:

Striker36

Cadet
If your transom is sound, and not rotten, then a common area is the seal at the bottom where the hydraulic lines go to the the trim. But unfortunately a more common area is the seal around the transom assembly itself - which almost always signals a soft transom.

Didnt realize there was a seal here. Mine is just the 4 way block that gets covered by the anode, with the four braided trim lines that screw into it at the base of the drive assembly.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the connector block uses a gasket between it and the housing
Untitledtr_zpsc5fcb07a.jpg

Striker36

Cadet
I assume if its not leaking on muffs that that would rule out the y-pipe too? Its a fresh water boat so I kind of doubt its y-pipe corrosion.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you need to understand "back pressure" .on muffs there is none to speak of and in most cases it goes out the exaust pipe.in the water the exaust must force its way out because the exaust cavity is filled with water . A leaking Y pipe will leak with or without the motor running in the water.
Heres a link to the transom http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14b4.pdf

Striker36

Cadet
And here's a pic of my outer gimbal. Looks like someone has done the access port mod at some point. I cant slide even my thinnest feeler guage in between the gimbal and transom anywhere, and my transom seems hard as a rock all around so I'm doubting that is the issue.
Ive read about leaking swivel shaft seals, would that cause the leak that I'm seeing? When I changed out the bellows I noticed it seemed like there was a little play in the vertical axis.
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...sbxhkwx3u.jpeg

Last edited:

Striker36

Cadet
I guess another option based on location is that my trim sender and limit wires arent seated properly at the compression seal?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
depending on the work performed a drip above the water inlet is usually the frim wire bushing or they only put in the bottom bolt and skipped the top one.
Thoses plugs are evidence the upper seal/steering pin/ yoke have been repaired/replaced. Do a search for "installing the missing mercruiser grease ftting"
It will help prevent that repair in the future

Striker36

Cadet
depending on the work performed a drip above the water inlet is usually the frim wire bushing or they only put in the bottom bolt and skipped the top one.
Thoses plugs are evidence the upper seal/steering pin/ yoke have been repaired/replaced. Do a search for "installing the missing mercruiser grease ftting"
It will help prevent that repair in the future

My trim wire retainer only has one bolt, its designed that way.

Striker36

Cadet
Im really thinking its the steering seal, I think its getting in at the seal, then leaking down between the transom plate and the transom, and coming out above the water tube.

Striker36

Cadet
Just in case anyone's following this with the same problem... Turned out to be the steering shaft seal, it was completely shot and fell out with the shaft when I removed it. See pic.

Striker36

Cadet
How hard is it to remove that steering part?

Its not easy. If you don't have the access hole modification kit done, you actually need to pull engine and whole drive assembly to get it out. If you have the access holes cut in the top of the gimbal housing, its still tough, not a lot of room to get in there with tools. Doable if you're experienced with repair work and have the right tools, if not, might be best left for a mechanic.
My steering shaft was in there pretty tight due to corrosion and needed some convincing with a slide hammer to come out. I replaced it with a stainless steel aftermarket version from NuWave Marine.
If you look up JR Marine there is a couple of videos on there showing how to do it, although they dont replace the upper most shaft bushing, which I did, and it was a major PITA to get out.