Alpha 1 water hose

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone!
Last year I purchased a 84 searay and have been slowly going through everything. Right now I am trying to figure out what to do about the water hose going from the out drive to the stern of the boat. All of the bellows are in great shape and look brand new but the water hose is starting to crack. However if I do the water hose I’m going to do all the bellows while I’m there.

my question is will I be safe waiting to do it because I don’t want to go spend $400 to replace parts that are still in really good shape but can’t get myself to just do the hose while I’ve already taken everything off. I’m just not sure if those water hoses are known for failure and leaving you stranded or what the situation is with them.

thanks and any input would be appreciated!

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Nobody can tell you when a part that you know is bad is going to fail. I haven't heard of the hoses breaking, but they aren't magic, so no reason why they couldn't. As far as safety--I guess that depends on how you boat. If you're a couple of miles from home in a lake where a tow is easy, that might be an acceptable risk for you. As far as if the hose fails, I can't think of anything worse than an overheat.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you do replace it use the preformed molded hose, a lot easier to install

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
automotive hearer hose is single wall , the oem is a double wall to prevent internal collapse and now comes pre-formed to shape and a snap to install

nola mike

Vice Admiral
automotive hearer hose is single wall , the oem is a double wall to prevent internal collapse and now comes pre-formed to shape and a snap to install
That would have been nice a couple of years ago when I did it. Definitely not a snap to install.

EDIT: Was curious, found my order from 2018. Not preformed.

Last edited:

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
So now that it is a snap to install is it possible to change the hose without removing the bell housing and stern drive? Seemed that it was hard for people but possible to remove with everything on the boat and the install was the issue