Alpha 1 Gen II Gimbal Bearing Replacement

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings! I'm getting the boat ready for the season and am replacing the gimbal bearing. I've got the leg off, and have a slide hammer inserted through the bearing, and I've been banging on it for a good while now. I'm not sure how much progress I've made thus far. Any suggestions or tricks for making this bit easier?

thumpar

Admiral
Are you hitting with full force? Mine came out with 2 good whacks.

thumpar

Admiral
You might want to try put some penetrating oil on the outside of the bearing and let it soak overnight. I like PB Blaster.

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You might want to try put some penetrating oil on the outside of the bearing and let it soak overnight. I like PB Blaster.
OK- will do. Do I need to be careful about getting that on the bellows? Or will it not bother the rubber?

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your slide hammer may not be big enough .weight wise.. happened to me when I did it my first time. I upgraded to a larger slide hammer and it popped out quickly

Alumarine

Captain
Mine was really stuck as well
I made this up from advice on this forum
The jaws that grab the bearing was from a Rear Axle Bearing Puller Set.
The jaws from a slide hammer might work as well.
Came out nicely.

VAMmo1x.jpg

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine was really stuck as well
I made this up from advice on this forum
The jaws that grab the bearing was from a Rear Axle Bearing Puller Set.
The jaws from a slide hammer might work as well.
Came out nicely.

VAMmo1x.jpg

WOW- what a difference a puller makes. For the sake of expediency I payed a local guy to pull it for me (came out like butter with the puller tool), but I tried building what you have there. Problem was, the slide hammer has a fine thread, and the only threaded rods I could find locally have a course thread. Looks like you had the same issue, and bought a little fine to course thread adaptor there. I couldn't find one of those locally either. So, I'll order online, and be ready for next time : )

Alumarine

Captain
I used 5/8 fine thread threaded rod and a nut that I picked up at a bolt store.