Alpha 1 gen 1 4.3 merc prop size

Clarko1988

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just use the boat for fishing dont want anything crazy. My main prop spun and there was a spare prop in the boat its 13x13 barley feels like it moves the boat. Feels like if i go to high rpm it does move at all.. Can you guys recommend a prop please thank you.

Scott06

Admiral
ok so the main prop worked right? 13 pitch is way low revs will go through the roof boat wont go very fast

shooting from hip would think 17 or 19” pitch three blade.

Bondo

Staff member
Just use the boat for fishing dont want anything crazy. My main prop spun and there was a spare prop in the boat its 13x13 barley feels like it moves the boat. Feels like if i go to high rpm it does move at all.. Can you guys recommend a prop please thank you.
Ayuh,..... What size is the spun prop,..??

Clarko1988

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah the spun prop not sure i tossed it... taking a load to the dump...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
How does barley move your boat?

Ok, joking aside, we need to know more, much more, about the engine, drive, boat and what you're looking for in the prop? And your budget...

Engine: 4.3L. 2bbl carb or 4?
Drive: what ratio?
Boat: 'Light'ski boat type hull or heavier fishing boat cabin cruiser?
Desired outcome: quick accelerating, good for skiing or general usage?
Cost: Ali or stainless?

Chris.

Clarko1988

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its an 87 hull heavy fiberglass boat. And when i go to put it gear it it moves it barley go over 5mph if i go to go facmster it feels as if it slipping. But the prop does apin you can see it

jeb6294

Seaman
We've got an '87 Starcraft SS201 with the 175hp 4.3 and Alpha. We're running a Ballistic 14.5x19. It was on it when we got it so I couldn't say how well it works compared to others, but it's worked great for us (and my FIL who had the boat for 20+ years before we got it from him). Stainless prop, and keep in mind, it's an aluminum boat so the weight could be different.

Ballistic Prop

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Its an 87 hull heavy fiberglass boat. And when i go to put it gear it it moves it barley go over 5mph if i go to go facmster it feels as if it slipping. But the prop does apin you can see it
13x13 is an outboard prop, and I still don't see how you're using barley to make the boat move. :)

Still need the drive ratio...

If it's 1.65:1, then I'd look at starting with a 19" pitch prop. If you have a 1.84:1 drive, start with a 21" pitch...

Once you have a prop on, you've got to do a full throttle run and see what the revs are. If the engine has a 2bbl carb, you need to see 4200-4600 rpm. If it's a 4bbl, you must see between 4400-4800rpm. (Revs need to be checked with a shop tacho. The dash tacho isn't anywhere near accurate enough)...

Chris.......

Last edited: