Alpha 1 Drive won't go down

meder24

Seaman
Hello,

I recently pulled my '87 Thompson with a 3.0L Merc and Alpha 1 Drive out of storage. Much to my surprise, when I tried to lower the outdrive, all i would get when pressing the trim button was a single click noise and nothing would happen. The fluid in the reservoir is at the full line.
I did make the mistake of leaving the outdrive in the up position for the winter. So I am thinking that maybe the cylinders are just corroded and stuck?
Everything worked just fine last year and before putting the boat into storage (indoor storage).
I have read a few places about trying to break the cylinders loose by applying pressure to the outdrive while activating the trim switch in the boat.
Does anyone have any insight into what else I could do to fix this issue. It seems unlikely to me, granted I am no professional, that the hydraulic pump would go bad sitting all winter.

tpenfield

Staff member
The trim pump has 2 solenoids that activate the pump. Sounds like the click you are hearing is the solenoid not working.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
take a jumper from the battery and touch the green motor wire(down) ,then check both the pos and neg pump connections.
If all good to there, then replace the solenoid

meder24

Seaman
Thank you both for the quick responses. I will certainly try jumping the jumping. Are the solenoids located at the pump or are they on the underside of the engine block?

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
You may be able to get the solenoid unstuck by flipping the trim switch down very rapidly and repeatedly.

The "up" solenoids were stuck on both of my pumps and that trick freed 'em and they still work today.

Works almost every time for any kind of solenoid...

Alumarine

Captain
Thank you both for the quick responses. I will certainly try jumping the jumping. Are the solenoids located at the pump or are they on the underside of the engine block?

Usually on the pump. Follow the clicking noise and you'll find em.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Meder. they should be on the pump, there's a metal plate there, all part of that housing,, you will see the solenoids...blue wire usually top, green bottom.. do what BT says first.. see if the pump is working first bypass the solenoid switches with jumper... check both directions, blue/green.. if it works you've got a cheap fix, $15 Solenoid ea... if not, not so cheap.. also if been sitting, take time to clean up ALL the terminals and connections with wire brush...

Last edited:

putback

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Often after months of storage the battery is down far enough to engage [click] a solenoid but not enough to turn the motor. If the engine starter turns obviously thats not the problem.

meder24

Seaman
Ya no problems starting engine and battery fully charged. I am finally able to get to the boat tonight so I am anxious to see what I find out from these tests.

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
There's also a black 3 prong bulk connector next to the solenoids. Mine had alot of corrosion in it.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I had to replace one of my solenoids last year for the same symptoms. It was a cheap and easy fix. It's just basically a relay. Just make sure you take note of which wires go where. Number them if you can. Take a picture too.

meder24

Seaman
So I cleaned all of the contacts and tried to jump the green and blue wire but no luck. I know my grounds are good as I can get a spark when connected to the battery. I can only get a click when pressing the trim up or down buttons in the throttle.
I am assuming that my pump is dead...

UncleWillie

Captain
...I did make the mistake of leaving the outdrive in the up position for the winter. So I am thinking that maybe the cylinders are just corroded and stuck?...

If the cylinders were stuck you would be hearing the pump straining hard against the over pressure valve.
Was leaving the the Dive UP a Mistake? Yes! But for a reason that has nothing to do with the Trim pump or cylinders.
With the drive UP, you are stretching the rubber bellows in the drive to their limits.
The drive should be DOWN at ALL TIMES except when the trailer is actually being moved.

...No problems Starting Engine and battery fully charged...

Until you get the drive Down, Do NOT Start the engine!
The U-Joints, like the bellows are also at their limits with the Drive UP.
You won't do any immediate damage, but you are not doing them any favors.

If the Solenoids are clicking but the pump is not running, you might want to check the Fuse.
When you press the down trim button and hear the solenoid click, is there 12 volts on the Green/Wht Wire to the Pump?

Trouble shooting Hint...
Green/Wht = DOWN ... toward the Green Grass
Blue/Wht = UP ... toward the Blue Sky.

Last edited:

meder24

Seaman
If the Solenoids are clicking but the pump is not running, you might want to check the Fuse.
When you press the down trim button and hear the solenoid click, is there 12 volts on the Green/Wht Wire to the Pump?

Trouble shooting Hint...
Green/Wht = DOWN ... toward the Green Grass
Blue/Wht = UP ... toward the Blue Sky.

Thank you UncleWillie for the advice. I hopefully did not cause more damage by the way I stored the boat.
I did not think to see if the green wire was getting 12 volts when pressing the button. I guess this would be a good indicator as to whether or not the pump is the problem.

meder24

Seaman
Thinking outside of the box a bit, but I do believe that the pump motor and actual pump portion are two separate pieces. I should be able to remove the motor portion and see if I have any issues with the pump itself using a power drill or something, correct?
It could be a much cheaper fix if only the electric motor needs replaced.

meder24

Seaman
I did fully remove the green and blue wires from the solenoid terminals to clean them. I cleaned both sides of the contacts on the ends of the wires as well as the studs on the solenoids themselves. I also cleaned the 3 prong connection, although it was not that dirty.
I did not remove the main power connection (A and A2) in your drawing. I did not clean this as I was under the impression I was essentially bypassing this when trying to jump the actual blue and green wires directly from the battery. When that did not work, I assumed the pump motor was dead.
I did not try tapping the motor either but will do so.