AlNewYorkTimes Shrinking.... DUH..I wunner why.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
and click here for another report
MY FISH WRAPPER IS SHRINKING

By Michelle Malkin · July 18, 2006 10:06 AM
The Old Gray Lady is going on a diet (a real one, not a Cindy Sheehan one):

The New York Times Co. plans to narrow the size of its flagship newspaper and close a printing plant, resulting in the loss of 250 jobs, the company said in a story posted on its Web site late on Monday.
The changes, set to take place in April 2008, include the closure of a printing plant in Edison, New Jersey. The company will sublet the plant and consolidate its regional printing facilities at a plant in Queens, the paper said.

The newspaper will be narrower by 1 1/2 inches. The redesign will result in the loss of 250 production jobs, the company said.

The New York Times said it expected the changes to result in savings of $42 million.

The narrower format, offset by some additional pages, will reduce the space the paper has for news by 5 percent, Executive Editor Bill Keller said in the article.

Five percent less space to blab about national security secrets. It's a start.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: AlNewYorkTimes Shrinking.... DUH..I wunner why.

Back in the day, the Elite Media where all about getting the truth to the people. They didn't all live in the pockets of the New England government. Now they are just a mouthpiece for the extreme left and they deserve what they get. Although, I feel bad for anyone who finds themselves unemployed because of the actions of their superiors.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Any chance they will be hiring any fact checkers? I would suggest they employ other successful left wing business practices such as begging, lying and stealing, see Air America.

I would be willing to bet they can't figure out why their circulation is declining. I will say the additional pages will help them with their retractions usually found on page 30 or higher.o:)

PW2

Commander

So the NYT is doing what all companies that wish to successful do...getting more efficient and cutting costs in a competitive environment...

And this is indicative of what, exactly?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

PW2 said:
So the NYT is doing what all companies that wish to successful do...getting more efficient and cutting costs in a competitive environment...

And this is indicative of what, exactly?

Declining circulation PW, that's what.

treedancer

Commander

Not just the Times, its all over read all about it.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...6-4AB7-AA8A-97EE70462003}&siteid=google&dist=

The newspaper industry has been struggling with higher newsprint costs, a weak advertising environment, declining circulation and frustrated shareholders. Once-robust advertising categories such as automotive, retail and employment have been lackluster for some time.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Maybe if they weren't so one sided in their views, the shareholders wouldn't be so frustrated and people would buy their paper....they just don't get it. Ask Air America how good it works..thet have it down pat. :^

rolmops

Vice Admiral

A lot of the news paper activities and advertisement has been switched to the internet where it rapidly expands and where profits are made,besides in the old days, people could actually read.Nowadays they just vegetate and listen to the likes of Rush,while thinking they get the truth spouted at them.

treedancer

Commander

Quote Rolmops

Nowadays they just vegetate and listen to the likes of Rush,while thinking they get the truth spouted at them.

Now you know that’s all wrong, sometimes they tune into fair and balanced FOX NEWS.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

And to get the real truth Air America and Al Frankin(stien) or CNN. :love:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I think it is because there is no reason to read the paper anymore .....
Rush Limpbaugh tells you everything you need to know....:}
So why read when you can have Rush tell you what to think?.......
The legion of doodyheads is growing.......:%.....JK

Link

Rear Admiral

I think it's because of the internet and conservative talk radio
Since the 60s most major newspapers and magazines don't report the news anymore.
Just thier liberal spin on what they would like to be said!
And that is all America heard.
People are waking up and finding out Newspapers are just a left spin!
They can go to bloggs or some talk radio and hear a different story on the same subject!

Here is a current example:
For the last week or so how many stories have you heard on the "News" or read in the "Newspaper" about how many rockets have been fired into Israel on a daily basis?
Long time before Israel fired back!

It doesn't fit into the liberal spin!
Don't believe me?
Do a Google search and just type in Israel..
here is what you will get

Israel hits Lebanon from air and by land, 42 dead

Nothing said about the other side of the coin!

My .02
Hey I'm doing pretty well this year at staying out of political posts. But a snack or two doesn’t hurt! :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Nobody likes their momma being bad mouthed by someone. I look at it as the NYT is bad mouthing my country and I don't like it. Just like to know who's side that they are on,,,,,,,,,,doesn't sound like the USA's side.

I think they are hit by both, bad reporting and economic drop in circulation.

PW2

Commander

I take it that any news organization that does not put your right wing spin on the days events is biased?

A lot of journalism schools would cringe.

It does not bode well for the future of democracy and self rule, however. Self rule requires an informed populace, and if all we need is cheerleaders of the government telling us what to think, I don't think there is any chance for democracy.

If we loose independent voices in the news, there will be no hope. Not something I would wish to celebrate, I'm afraid.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

PW2 said:
If we loose independent voices in the news, there will be no hope....
We've already lost that.
Your choices are The Alphabet News aka left wing or Faux News aka right wing.
It seems you can only see your side as well.

rottenray6402

Ensign

Hey JK, I'm a doodyhead..... RF I'm glad to see the cat back! PW, who are the independent voices in the news? I can't think of a single one at this time. :'(

PW2

Commander

WSJ, NYT, WP, AP to name a few. There are lots more.

Not saying there are always 100% accurate, but no news source is. The burden of a deadline prohibits perfect accuracy. And their job is not to trumpet one point of view over another. The reader is perfectly capable (or should be) of doing that himself

Editorially, of course, the NYT tends to the left, (with some exceptions) just as the WSJ tends to the right.

There is a difference between the editorial pages and the news. Or should be.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

[colour=blue]Quote:Any chance they will be hiring any fact checkers? I would suggest they employ other successful right wing business practices such as begging, lying and stealing. [/colour] [colour=red] If they can wake up the hiberating fact checkers at Fox News and the deaf-mute's at Rush {Cheech} Limbaugh's show may be they would be interested in doing it if they can remember how,,,[/colour]

rottenray6402

Ensign

I agree with you to a point, however when I sit down and read a newspaper or if I'm watching network news I can usually feel a slant to the left. The way the stories are portrayed and the questions are asked will predetermine a certain type of answer. I feel most of the main stream news sources are left leaning and this is why CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN are losing viewers as well as why many of the major newspapers are losing circulation. I understand that dead lines makes checking every stories accuracy impossible. I also understand that shock value sells papers where stories about good things happening aren't nearly as marketable.
I think we both know that we are not going to change each others minds but I do enjoy your point of view on things because you do not name call or insult people trying to make your point. o:)

Anything critical of the war or the administration = LEFT.

Anything remotely critical of keeping state and religion speerate = LEFT.

Anything that criticizes tax cuts, even in times of massive record deficits when those tax cuts go overwhelmingly to the very rich = LEFT.

One day soon you all are going to wake up and realize that the GOP have sold out your genuine patriotic ideals to corporations that have no such patriotic allegance, have financially destroyed the middle class in this country, decimated our military, and surrended our cold war victory and strategic supremacy. All while it's propoganda mouthpieces; Malkin, ORielly, Hannity, Limbaugh, Hannity, and FOX have kept you all distracted with non-issues and phanotm menaces like gay marriage and the "war-on-Christmas" Gess what - the joke is on you.