All-Around light pole rake

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't believe Im posting this :). Im restoring an 89 16" Sea Nymph Fishing Machine 161. the stern light socket had been removed, and now I have the new decking; I want to install one.

The question I have is the rake of the light pole. Should the all-around pole be perpendicular to the waterline or gunwale when installed? If I make it perpendicular to the waterline, it will have the allusion it is leaning forward. Just seems weird.

Also, I'm using a generic Attwood frosted pole light.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I've always had one that is slanted to the back. That's just what's been on every boat I've ever owned. If I replaced it, I just went with what was there. Also, on occasion (4th of July), I'll stick a flag pole in there and the backwards rake works great for that too.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If it's 360 the angle less than 20 degrees fore/aft is moot

Flashlight and a white plastic drinky cup works in a pinch

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've always had one that is slanted to the back. That's just what's been on every boat I've ever owned. If I replaced it, I just went with what was there. Also, on occasion (4th of July), I'll stick a flag pole in there and the backwards rake works great for that too.
I do the same thing!!! have an old rear light that doesn't work anymore so attached a flag to it!!