Alignment question chasing the marks or slide the tool

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Hello Folks, alignment question. I’ve got more even marks on top than on the bottom but the tool slides in and out easily. Chase the marks or send it?! take care

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Take a few readings. Its very easy to wipe the bottom of the shaft when removing, thus removing grease marks from bottom. It should slide in with 2 fingers easily. If it needs to come down a hair, now is the time

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hello Folks, alignment question. I’ve got more even marks on top than on the bottom but the tool slides in and out easily. Chase the marks or send it?! take care
Send it. I had the same situation on when I repowered in 2016. Could never get the makes 100% textbook but tool goes in and out easily, went up and down adjusting mounts for hours. In the years since it has never changed and I have the drive sliding on and off like butter....

aidanmurphy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the tool goes in and out easy and your outdrive goes on easily then it is fine. If you have trouble getting your outdrive back on, you need to check alignment

nola mike

Vice Admiral
The whole point of the tool is to make sure that there isn't stress on the coupler. If it slides easily, you've confirmed that you're not stressing the coupler. I think the witness marks are secondary, to be used to figure out how to move the engine when the tool won't move freely