.Air conditioner placement?

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone ever installed a small household air conditioner with the back facing into the chain/rope locker for the anchor? How did it work and do you have any helpful recommendations? I am thinking of doing this on my 26ft wellcraft excel. .What btu would be recommended?

Thanks Steve.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: .Air conditioner placement?

the A/C has to have air flow to dissipate the heat it takes out of the air. also needs a place to discharge the water it takes out of the air. if the locker is a closed space, you will not get good performance.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Who would want to? Ain't gonna work.

jepps3

Cadet

I've seen this done on a 24' bayliner cruiser. They used the rear winow and built a fixture outside the window to hide the rear of the unit.

It was a cheap $99 home depot 5000 btu window unit and it got the cabin very cold.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen this done on a 24' bayliner cruiser. They used the rear winow and built a fixture outside the window to hide the rear of the unit.

It was a cheap $99 home depot 5000 btu window unit and it got the cabin very cold.

Rope lockers don't have windows.

flashback

Captain

I think your better off keeping an anchor and rode in the locker..that being said, it probably would work ok if you left the hatch on the locker open while using the ac..the condensate would drain out thru the locker drain and it should get enough air to work..but again, I would rather have an anchor and rode..I would also be concerned about the big hole you would have to cut into the back of the locker to install the ac..

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That would be a good place for it. However.....

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

A couple of years ago, a guy at the dock did about the same thing. Except he put the condeser (outside part) into his bilge area. It didn't cool very well and his bilge got hot.

I installed a unit in my 27'er two years ago. I bought an old 10Kbtu window unit. I also obtained a water cooled condenser coil to replace the air-over condenser coil. I split the unit in two parts. The evap coil/fan I mounted inside under one of the seats. Condensate drain was routed to a scupper line with a float type back check valve.

I reworked the compressor to the water cooled condeser coil and installed them in the bilge area. The compressor is a hermtic/rotary type and all electrical is completely spark proof. I then got a water circulating pump to pump thru the condeser coil. I used a pump that was USCG approved. This was the most expensive part of the project.

This past weekend it got hot enough to turn it on. Yeeehaw, it still worked excellent. Only problem is that whoever sits by it gets their legs almost frozen. It took my cabin temp from 88* to 72* in the matter of about 30 minuets. It is quiet since the compresser is in the bilge. With it being water cooled, it cannot heat up the bilge either. Only problem I get is people think that the discharge water from the condenser coil is my bilge pump. They think my boat is taking on water when its not. I also routed a 3" flexible duct up to the forward berth. What was an uncomfortable place to sleep due to the lack of air flow is now the best place to take a nap or sleep.

Cptkid570

Ensign

SS Mayfloat - that was WAY over my head, but GREAT job.. what a good idea! I've been trying to figure out where to mount my window unit a/c too.. I did build a scoop that fits it over my hatch.. that works fine, but I want a way to mount it inside of the cabin.. I just figure that if I can route the water and hot air out of the cabin, then it should work.

I'd think that mounting it in the anchor locker would work as long as the hot air escapes out of the locker and the water drains out of it.. those in the Vberth would freeze - haha..

Hopefully you wouldn't have to destroy our boat too much to put it there though.. maybe remove the factory anchor locker and build your own and tear your own up and reinstall the original if you were to sell.