Aging 1995 - Grady 208 Adventure

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have owned a 1995 Adventure 208 for about 3.5 years now. Its a great boat which in many respects I'm completely satisfied with and in most respects is very well built. But must say I'm not impressed with several design/build aspects of the boat.

A few examples:

1. Fuel tank failed due to factory install issue. Metal staples were used to fasten rubber padding strips to 2x4 wood cross braces that hold the tank. Several of the staples from day one had made contact with the top of the fuel tank. Mix in a little saltwater with the contacting unlike metals and a corrosion hole in the top of the tank was the result.

Also the tank sat on top of two very thin rubber strips which were not glued of fastened to the boat. As a result the bottom of the tank had rubbed against fiberglass creating another area of wear and corrosion on the bottom of the tank.

Replaced with new fuel tank and had to rework how it was mounted.

2. Plastic thru-hull fittings. These should be outlawed. Likely fine for the first few years but eventually almost guaranteed to become a saftey issue. The plastic ages, becomes brittle and they crack and/or fail completely. If at or near the waterline this will result in a little or a lot of water in the boat. Replaced all with stainless.

3. Bildge bulked drain pipes 3/4 or more filled with resin at the factory. The only pvc drain pipe that allows water to pass from the central fuel tank compartment back to the bilge area in the stern had been almost completely glassed over with resin at the factory. Another smaller pvc pipe which drains the cabin floor area was also nearly glassed over at the point it entered the bildge.

Sure glad I bought a "high-quality" used boat. Would hate to see what low end would be.