Advice: Rock Shore Line - Mooring, Docking, Anchoring

J-Stang

Cadet
I am needing some advise on my best option for "tying" up my fiberglass river boat when on the river and keep it off the rock lined shore. We have purchased a river property that has had bank stabilization work completed. The bank stabilization is pictured below. That I am looking for a solution while stoping at the cabin for lunch or restroom stops. I am not planning to keep it there over night. I have considered trying to find a way to mount two mooring whips to the rocks. Does anyone have ideas on what would work well to protect the boat from the rocks in the river current.
Additional details:
The river level is varied due to the dam generation schedule. Typically 2-3ft deep at end of stairs.
The boat is 20' x 42" long fiberglass trout boat made by Supreme.White River Property.jpgSupreme L42.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Tie off the front on shore, and anchor off the back to keep it off the rocks ... might have to get your feet a little wet.

Welcome aboard.

J-Stang

Cadet
Thank you! I have seen people using bungee lines on the anchor so the boats gets pulled back out. I would just need to find the right anchor for the current and the bedrock river bed.

southkogs

Staff member
WOW ... I totally missed the "purchased" part :rolleyes:

Floating dock, like ahicks said. They use 'em quite a bit here in TN on the rivers and the impounds.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Are you not allowed to put out floating docks?
On the lake we go to, there are docks everywhere.
Some simple ones that extend from shore with just a few sections and some multi-branched ones with dozens of slips.

Each dock needs to be registered and comply with certain rules under the authority of the power company that owns the lake.

It may only be 2-3 feet deep at the shore, but after extending one, two or three docks from the shore, will it be deep enough for your boat then?

Your boat looks like it can deal with very shallow water. What are it's specs in relation to that?
My 185 bow rider's minimum depth is listed as 3 feet with the drive trimmed up. Not trailer position, just trimmed up to maximum running height.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You could build a small flat square landing area at the bottom of the steps, like a hollow cage of wood and sink it by filling with rocks and then put a PT floor on it. Might be hard to keep there if the river freezes in winter and the ice moves though. Where is this to?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Another optiom might be a small wooden slipway to partially run up on. It could leave you high and dry if the water level drops though.

ahicks

Captain
Another optiom might be a small wooden slipway to partially run up on. It could leave you high and dry if the water level drops though.
Yup, a short railway to pull the boat up on might work too. Shouldn't be difficult with a light boat. Angle of shore line would make it easy to lower.

J-Stang

Cadet
You could build a small flat square landing area at the bottom of the steps, like a hollow cage of wood and sink it by filling with rocks and then put a PT floor on it. Might be hard to keep there if the river freezes in winter and the ice moves though. Where is this to?
I like that idea. It is in Arkansas. Ice wouldn't be our main concern. The bigger concern is downed trees or limbs knocking it loose.

J-Stang

Cadet
Are you not allowed to put out floating docks?
On the lake we go to, there are docks everywhere.
Some simple ones that extend from shore with just a few sections and some multi-branched ones with dozens of slips.

Each dock needs to be registered and comply with certain rules under the authority of the power company that owns the lake.

It may only be 2-3 feet deep at the shore, but after extending one, two or three docks from the shore, will it be deep enough for your boat then?

Your boat looks like it can deal with very shallow water. What are it's specs in relation to that?
My 185 bow rider's minimum depth is listed as 3 feet with the drive trimmed up. Not trailer position, just trimmed up to maximum running height.
The boat is made to run very shallow. The jet helps it operate in just inches of water so I would not need too many sections of dock.