Advice on transom , stringers and floor rebuild

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Kcassells , I don't have a source for dry ice near me.
I did try and sand it off with an industrial floor orbital sander. Some came off and some just melted and became a smear.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I would definitely try everything to get the existing glue off. MEKP is a strong solvent. Did you try looking up that glue on-line and ask for a remedy to remove the glue? No carpet is permanent, so there should be a method to remove.

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will try some more chemicals. I tried sanding with an industrial orbital sander and 16grit. Some came off and some just smeared.

Attachments

• floor after sanding.jpeg
    floor after sanding.jpeg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 7

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tucker1968,
There is a good youtube series called Boat works today youtube. I have learned many things watching the channel.

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have decided that removing all the fresh , 1 year old glue , is not going to happen. All the chemical removers are not fibreglass friendly and the floor is covered with fibreglass which is grooved , making freezing and chipping a nightmare. I will level the floor and install marine vinyl flooring.
I started making my interior side panels out of gel coated 1708 and csm.

Attachments

• gelcoat panels.jpeg
    gelcoat panels.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My first panel has cured. I notice there is a blueish color spots in my gelcoat. Would this be from not enough , thick enough gelcoat?

Attachments

• gelcoat-panel.jpeg
    gelcoat-panel.jpeg
    990.8 KB · Views: 10

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of building my rear bench seat. How many inches are the average seat off the floor from the actual seat wood , not foam. I was thinking 11 inches but not sure.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
This stuff can always be looked up....
About 18" for seat/desk... unless ADA

Between 16 and 20 inches tall

The typical chair seat is between 16 and 20 inches tall and at least 18 inches deep. If the chair has a back, it is usually at least 14 inches high.

Standard Chair Dimensions (All Types & With Drawings)

upgradedhome.com/chair-dimensions/

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This stuff can always be looked up....
About 18" for seat/desk... unless ADA

Between 16 and 20 inches tall

The typical chair seat is between 16 and 20 inches tall and at least 18 inches deep. If the chair has a back, it is usually at least 14 inches high.

Standard Chair Dimensions (All Types & With Drawings)

View attachment 371792
I was not thinking of a chair height. I was thinking of my rear bench seat in the boat. I did not want the seat to be to high , but to blend in with the interior.

Chris51280

Ensign
I would say it depends on your boat. how high are your gunwhales. I think my bench seat is about 12 inches tall. how tall is your overall bench gonna be

zool

Captain
Your rear bench seat needs to be inherently low, to keep ur passengers onboard while underway, even on my 33', the rear bench is about a foot high, where the aft facing seating and helm seating is significantly taller.

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My gunwhales are 36 inch . I think the base should be 11 inches. This gives me a low profile bench. The back rest will be 20 inches tall from the bench. This should keep the passengers safe.

Attachments

• bench sunray.jpeg
    bench sunray.jpeg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 4

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Started the gelcoat patching. Major holes from the original side padded panels. Still working on the instrument panels. I was thinking of polishing the gelcoat , using a heavy cutting polish. The white has a good gloss from under the old side panels. I am still putting off the removal of the old glue.....I know I will have to remove it.

Attachments

• interior patches.jpeg
    interior patches.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 11

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I am like a squirrel , all over the place. LOL. While patching holes in the fiberglass cap I tried some mineral spirits on the Roberts 6700 carpet glue . After 20 minutes of soaking the glue just scrapes off.
I also found an industrial walking foot Pfaff sewing machine to reupholster my interior for a great price. Had the sewing machine tuned and timed today,ready for attempting the new interior.

Attachments

• mineral spirits at work.jpeg
    mineral spirits at work.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Pfaff.jpeg
    Pfaff.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 7